Sign in to follow this  
Guest TheCB_Kid

Tagging Up/Advancing

Question

Guest TheCB_Kid

Situation:

Leadoff batter reaches first safely. (Runner on first, no outs)

Next hitter hits a flyball to CF that is caught, but the runner does not tag up and runs to second base. 

While safely standing on second base, the ball is thrown in and the runner is tagged. (While on second).

I know the rule is: you must tag the player or his original base. However, what is the call if he’s safely standing at second?

Note: after being tagged, the fielder threw the ball to the pitcher and the runner safely ran back to first to avoid any appeal play at first base. 

Can you tag out a baserunner that is standing on a base? Understand he did leave early, but was not forced out in anyway after the catch was made. Thanks!!

6 answers to this question

21 minutes ago, Guest TheCB_Kid said:

Situation:

Leadoff batter reaches first safely. (Runner on first, no outs)

Next hitter hits a flyball to CF that is caught, but the runner does not tag up and runs to second base. 

While safely standing on second base, the ball is thrown in and the runner is tagged. (While on second).

I know the rule is: you must tag the player or his original base. However, what is the call if he’s safely standing at second?

Note: after being tagged, the fielder threw the ball to the pitcher and the runner safely ran back to first to avoid any appeal play at first base. 

Can you tag out a baserunner that is standing on a base? Understand he did leave early, but was not forced out in anyway after the catch was made. Thanks!!

Yes, if the fielder communicates to the umpire why he is tagging the runner or, in the umpire's judgement, it is obvious the defender is tagging the runner to appeal the missed 1st base, the runner can be tagged while on second base.

Guest TheCB_Kid
21 minutes ago, agdz59 said:

Yes, if the fielder communicates to the umpire why he is tagging the runner or, in the umpire's judgement, it is obvious the defender is tagging the runner to appeal the missed 1st base, the runner can be tagged while on second base.

How do you assess the Jean Segura play then?? 

After seeing that, my assumption has been that anytime you are on a base - you are safe unless tagged or put out?? I understand that, this is a pickoff and know the rule of two runners on one base, but wouldn’t the same theory apply?

I was under the assumption that you must double the runner off at first, or tag him while running. Once standing safely on second, I thought the only appeal play would be to tag first base with the ball. Any citation of a specific rule?? Thanks so much for the reply!

8 minutes ago, Guest TheCB_Kid said:

After seeing that, my assumption has been that anytime you are on a base - you are safe unless tagged or put out?? I understand that, this is a pickoff and know the rule of two runners on one base, but wouldn’t the same theory apply?

I was under the assumption that you must double the runner off at first, or tag him while running. Once standing safely on second, I thought the only appeal play would be to tag first base with the ball. Any citation of a specific rule??

None of what you say is correct.

The previous poster stated it correctly: the defense may appeal a baserunning infraction (including failure to retouch) by tagging the runner (anywhere on the field) or the base where the infraction occurred. Being in contact with any base (other than the one where the infraction occurred, which corrects the error) is no protection from the appeal. The pro rule is 5.09(c); the HS rule is 8–2–6.

The Segura play was ruled incorrectly at the time. The umpires should have replaced him at 2B after the trailing runner was tagged out. IIRC, this guidance is now part of the pro umpiring manual.

To add to maven's reply (correct me if I am wrong), the Segura play was not an appeal.  Because it was not a force situation, Segura had legal title to second when he returned there.  That is why Braun was out on the tag instead of Segura.

In general, if two runners are on a base: if it's a result of a force play, the trailing runner is entitled to the base.  If there was no force, it's the lead runner's base.

6 hours ago, maven said:

The Segura play was ruled incorrectly at the time. The umpires should have replaced him at 2B after the trailing runner was tagged out. IIRC, this guidance is now part of the pro umpiring manual.

Or, called him out for abandonment, or not granted time until the play resolved itself (likely with the defense tagging Segura for an out)

10 hours ago, noumpere said:

Or, called him out for abandonment, or not granted time until the play resolved itself (likely with the defense tagging Segura for an out)

I doubt that abandonment would be supportable: in his own demented way, Segura was still running the bases and so had not abandoned his effort to do that.

And I think that they did wait to call time until playing action was complete: I don't think even Segura would have retreated from 1B toward HP, and the other runner was running off the field after being retired at 2B.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this