Jump to content
  • 0
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Murdoch

Balk/pitching motion

Question

Guest Murdoch

When a runner is on base... can a pitcher rock or step back as part of his wind up after he comes to a set position?

Alternatively worded does a pitcher have to go directly home after coming set.

I thought he could so long as he didn’t make an attempt to pick off the runner.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
1 hour ago, Guest Murdoch said:

When a runner is on base... can a pitcher rock or step back as part of his wind up after he comes to a set position?

Alternatively worded does a pitcher have to go directly home after coming set.

I thought he could so long as he didn’t make an attempt to pick off the runner.

 

 

A pitcher in the windup bringing his hands together is not called "coming set". But if he does bring his hands together without any other body motion associated with his delivery he has not yet committed to pitch except in high school rules when both arms move together. In other than high school he can bring his hands together and stop, then continue start his delivery with a rocker step and continued arm motion. I think there is a professional interp that does not allow the pitcher to pick off while he is bringing his hands together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, Guest Murdoch said:

When a runner is on base... can a pitcher rock or step back as part of his wind up after he comes to a set position?

Alternatively worded does a pitcher have to go directly home after coming set.

I thought he could so long as he didn’t make an attempt to pick off the runner.

 

 

Yes, if he's in the windup position (and / or has so declared to the umpire).  If he's truly in the set position, then no.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Guest Murdoch

He is already putting himself at a disadvantage by delivering a pitch from the windup.  I am not sure I understand why a pitcher would have to declare to an ump that he is pitching from windup?  This all but announced to the runner they can go on first movement.  

Shouldn’t this burden be on the coaching staff of the runner or the runner himself to recognize without having to announce it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, Guest Murdoch said:

He is already putting himself at a disadvantage by delivering a pitch from the windup.  I am not sure I understand why a pitcher would have to declare to an ump that he is pitching from windup?  This all but announced to the runner they can go on first movement.  

Shouldn’t this burden be on the coaching staff of the runner or the runner himself to recognize without having to announce it.

The problem is in OBR/MLB a sideways pitcher can look like he is in the stretch and windup from that position. With certain runner configurations that always include an R3 the pitcher will windup if he thinks there is no chance of a squeeze or steal of home. While I haven't seen an MLB sideways pitcher who  I couldn't tell was going to windup or not, MLB saw that the possibility did exist and requires a sideways pitcher to "declare" if he is going to windup with runners on. The clip is not relevant to runners on but it is what a sideways pitcher looks like:

https://umpire-empire.com/uploads/monthly_2019_05/49698373-e3e2d14f-8be89a86-csvm-diamondx64-asset_1280x720_59_4000K.mp4.7875b39ec2bcee997f405f515534cb2b.mp4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I always coached ,that from a wind up position(pitcher has both feet on the rubber and is facing the batter) as soon as that pitcher steps back with his  non pivot foot he is committed to throwing home and if you are a base runner with an open base , you break as soon as that pitcher commits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
3 hours ago, Phu Bai said:

I always coached ,that from a wind up position(pitcher has both feet on the rubber and is facing the batter) as soon as that pitcher steps back with his  non pivot foot he is committed to throwing home and if you are a base runner with an open base , you break as soon as that pitcher commits.

You don't have to have both feet on the rubber - only the pivot foot.

In places other than FED you can pick from the windup so a step back could be the start of a pick to 2B.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...