Sign in to follow this  
grk17

Strike Three Mechanic Question

I worked a summer league double header the other night with a partner that I hadn’t worked with before. After the game he gave me some pointers on my strike three mechanic. When I ring someone up, I very simply cross my arms in front of me and “start the gas powered whatever” if you will. It is very similar to what many of the younger major league umpires do. However, I keep my feet planted instead of taking a step back (something I have since noticed that many of the young major leaguers do). My partner told me that I should be taking a step back since keeping your feet planted opens up a greater possibility for umpire interference if the catcher were to throw down to second. I had never heard this before and wanted to see if anyone on here had ever heard or thought about this before.

I must be different as I give a chainsaw with my feet planted and have never interfered with a catcher while doing it.

Just curious ...what is the history (or logic) behind the rip cord for the accepted strike three mechanic?

I take a step back.  I think it's a better look.  I have used a 2 piece mechanic with a downward hammer (verbal "hike!") and then stepping back and pulling the chainsaw (verbal "three!").  But as I get back to working plates following my injury, I have been using a one piece with a simple step back, pull the chainsaw and "three!"

Congratulations @grk17! If your post game conversation was about strike three mechanics your partner was telling you that you had an awesome game!

• Like 1

In the only class I took one of the instructors showed us his mechanic and advised he was asked to tame it down.   he did a very big step and large "chainsaw"

Mine was awful this year .. I went from spastic moron  to just a turn and ripping the telephone book  Its small its tight I think it looks ok but very very minimalist.

Of course I am ringing up LL kids so they have told us not to emphasis the fact they got caught looking 

I would argue that you are being a "pitchers umpire" by doing this.  It's not the fact the batter got caught looking.  If you have a pitcher that is hitting spots, and getting the backwards K in the book, rip that phonebook, rip cord, whatever! If he's pumped up & feeling good, he'll keep throwing good.  If you squeeze a pitcher who's having a bad day, and he gets depressed or pi$$ed at you, he's not going to improve his control much.   just my .02

2 hours ago, ArchAngel72 said:

from spastic moron  to just a turn and ripping the telephone book  Its small its tight

You are channeling Tom Hallion.