The Short Umpire

All-Star Mag Throat Guard

So I know that Chris Guccione’s chopped mag throat guard has been brought up in the past, but I’m watching the Red Sox and Blue Jays right now and it looks like he’s now zip-tied the throat guard forward, to the throat guard on the mask. Thoughts on this? I mean it’s better than nothing, and I understand the beef that some people have with wearing a throat guard,  so I appreciate him trying to compromise but is equipment really doing it’s job in this position? I mean he’s been around a lot longer than me so I’m not trying to be critical, just trying to figure out what’s what. 

I'm not sure that's a stock All Star mag throat guard.  it doesn't match his chin guard on the mask - which AS Mag TG's do. 

Also, notice he's wearing Wilson memory foam pads on that mask?

Here's a pic of the TG on an AS steel mask. Notice they're exact matches at the end of both the mask and TG.

AS mag tg.jpg

It is there for the same reason some guys put their plastic one over the top of their non-chopped Nike Tis. I believe the built in throat guard is a bit flatter than other masks and this causes the built in to strike the additional throat guard when they look down and lift the mask from their face. Placing it on the top of the built in throat guard allows for more range of motion while still providing additional protection. 

@JSam21 That’s kinda what I was thinking. Like I said, I get the gripe. It can get really annoying to not be able to look down as much. I just wonder if it really does add anything extra, since it doesn’t hang in a position that would protect the throat. A lot of people on this forum have insisted on the need of a throat guard to “clink” against the chest protector. 

@wolfe_man You’re right! I didn’t even notice that his does look more rounded out. The one’s I’ve seen have come to more of a point like the built in throat guard.  I like that you used a question mark to note that he’s using Wilson pads! hahaha

15 hours ago, The Short Umpire said:

@JSam21 That’s kinda what I was thinking. Like I said, I get the gripe. It can get really annoying to not be able to look down as much. I just wonder if it really does add anything extra, since it doesn’t hang in a position that would protect the throat. A lot of people on this forum have insisted on the need of a throat guard to “clink” against the chest protector. 

@wolfe_man You’re right! I didn’t even notice that his does look more rounded out. The one’s I’ve seen have come to more of a point like the built in throat guard.  I like that you used a question mark to note that he’s using Wilson pads! hahaha

It is extended at least 2" below the built in TG it is offering plenty of protection. You need it to hit something other than your throat... So if it hits the built in TG it won't hit your throat... same as your CP. 

15 hours ago, JSam21 said:

It is extended at least 2" below the built in TG it is offering plenty of protection. You need it to hit something other than your throat... So if it hits the built in TG it won't hit your throat... same as your CP. 

I can get that for sure! I’m 5’ 5” and have the neck length to prove it! :lol:I forget that taller guys have longer necks. The built in throat guard has always been long enough to cover my entire neck, I’ve just worn the throat guard to protect against a ball bouncing underneath/behind the mask. I guess that is what has always worried me the most, behind the plate. 

A few thoughts here ......... sorry ..........late to the party :rolleyes:

I actually thought that CGs throat guard was a chopped All Star mag TG (shortened), but @wolfe_man is correct ... it's not and it looks "home made" to LOOK like the AS TG.  FOR ME...I don't see his "dangling" ....so I thought it was actually 'welded' in place, ...but I'm probably wrong (maybe not?)

Anyhow ......

I have a MAG w/ the 'graphite' pads, and I use an All-Star plastic TG (6") and have no problem looking down when I do (not often).  I understand the irritation w/ the TG not allowing you to move your head however, because for a short time, I had a Nike steel (Titanium copy style) and you can't use a TG in the standard position!  One glance down and it'll move your mask! :D 

Anyhow, .... YMMV, but .... I again, I have no problem w/ my AS TG under my MAG.  Photo attached

FINISHED MAG.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, acpar72 said:

Here is what I did for a more effective throat guard on the Mag.

mag.jpg.4d59469f85d229e95099306cc2627399.jpg

standard LUC or LUC MAG bottom?

23 minutes ago, acpar72 said:

Here is what I did for a more effective throat guard on the Mag.

mag.jpg.4d59469f85d229e95099306cc2627399.jpg

A chopped Mag??? Okay that is awesome!! and with the Samurai? Just keeps getting better! Looks like the standard LUC pads right? 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

standard LUC or LUC MAG bottom?

Standard LUC pads.  The big one is too bulky for me.  I put the con-cushion on top pad.  Good to go. 

On 7/26/2019 at 11:06 AM, RC2004 said:

What did you use as a replacement for the screws on the shovel ?

There is a thread on here about a Samurai Gears tg that shattered. @Razzer recommends small Chicago Screws. I went and did it and they work great!