Missed Base

Guest Flash
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1717 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest Flash

R1 and R3, no outs.  Runners both attempting to steal.  Fly ball is caught in deep left field.  R1 touches second and is headed for third when he realizes he needs to tag up.  He returns to first without retouching second.  R3 safely tags up, heads for home and gets caught up in a run-down between third and home.  During the run-down, R1 runs back to second.

Does R1's return to second cancel his missed base?  Are there any open appeals left to the defense, and if so, where?

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

46 minutes ago, Guest Flash said:

Does R1's return to second cancel his missed base?  Are there any open appeals left to the defense, and if so, where?

R1 touched the base the "last time by" and has corrected his baserunning mistake. (I am assuming R1 re-touched first.)

A runner is required to re-touch bases in order, so in this case R1 needed to touch 2nd then 1st.  By missing 2nd his retouch to 1st is negated.  This would be an appeal by the defense and the runner would be out. Rule 7.02 2019 Little League Baseball official regulations

13 minutes ago, Guest Dan said:

A runner is required to re-touch bases in order

If you mean reverse order, then I agree.

13 minutes ago, Guest Dan said:

so in this case R1 needed to touch 2nd then 1st

Correct: that explains why he would be open to a missed base appeal had the play ended with him on 1B.

14 minutes ago, Guest Dan said:

By missing 2nd his retouch of 1st is negated.

That's not a thing. I don't know LL, but I sincerely doubt that this provision is in the rules.

A baserunner who touches a base on his last time by negates any previous infraction at that base.

1 hour ago, Guest Dan said:

A runner is required to re-touch bases in order, so in this case R1 needed to touch 2nd then 1st.  By missing 2nd his retouch to 1st is negated.  This would be an appeal by the defense and the runner would be out. Rule 7.02 2019 Little League Baseball official regulations

7.02-- In advancing, a runner shall touch first, second, third and home base in that order. If forced to return, the runner shall retouch all bases in reverse order, unless the ball is dead under any provision of Rule 5.09. In such cases, the runner may go directly to the original base

OBR, FED, LL , baseball, softball, t-ball, slo pitch, kickball, all effectively say the same thing in their rules, but in no way do they mean what you are saying.

By your logic, if, on a home run, I miss second base that negates my touch of third base and of home, so the defense could appeal any of those bases - that is wrong. 

The re-touch of first base still occurred and can't be ignored - he's still required to touch second because he missed it, but the fact of that doesn't undo his touch of first.   It sounds like you would have the runner (from first base) go back to second, to correct his missed based, and then go back to first again to validate his re-touch/tagup.

Now, MAYBE there's some provision for a runner who runs directly from third base across the infield to first base, and then goes back to second...I'm not sure of that, and it wouldn't apply here.