BDong

Fair weather pads?

So I am fairly new to umpiring and am looking at getting a nice lightweight mask setup.  I've read that the TW are not good in cold weather. I live on the wet coast of Washington where baseball season is usually anywhere from 45 to 75.  What would be a good all around pad or do you guys swap pads out for the weather?  

Well, TWs work fine for me in the cold. Anyhow, the Wilson Memory Foam pads work very well in cooler weather. Lots of guys on here like to use leather pads in the spring and then shift to TWs in the summer.

• Like 3

For me the best all around in all weather plus good protection has been the all star LUC pads and the Honings pads. 

• Like 2

I carry no less than two, and sometimes up to four, masks with me to every game venue I work. My main pads are TWs (I have 3 sets), but I also use All-Star MAG-LUCs on my FM4000, and navy LUCs on my (lone, thank goodness) rarely-used Navy mask (for when I call games in those states east of the Mississippi River, American Legion, or CDP).

So, not only do I color-coordinate, I also temperature-coordinate, to a certain degree (ha! pun!). Cold temps? I use the LUC -equipped masks. Normal or hot weather? TWs is where it’s at.

Consider, too, that if you wash TWs on a routine basis, and allow them to air dry, they’ll stay softer. The buildup of salt, from your sweat, actually stiffens the pads.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, MadMax said:

I carry no less than two, and sometimes up to four, masks with me to every game venue I work. My main pads are TWs (I have 3 sets), but I also use All-Star MAG-LUCs on my FM4000, and navy LUCs on my (lone, thank goodness) rarely-used Navy mask (for when I call games in those states east of the Mississippi River, American Legion, or CDP).

So, not only do I color-coordinate, I also temperature-coordinate, to a certain degree (ha! pun!). Cold temps? I use the LUC -equipped masks. Normal or hot weather? TWs is where it’s at.

Consider, too, that if you wash TWs on a routine basis, and allow them to air dry, they’ll stay softer. The buildup of salt, from your sweat, actually stiffens the pads.

How do you wash them? Just throw them in your your clothes?

59 minutes ago, Biscuit said:

You can wash them on delicate cycle in your washer using cold water.  I'd recommend keeping the Velcro closed the whole time to avoid fraying.  Then, let them air-dry by hanging them from a hanger or something like that.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BDong said:

So I am fairly new to umpiring and am looking at getting a nice lightweight mask setup.  I've read that the TW are not good in cold weather. I live on the wet coast of Washington where baseball season is usually anywhere from 45 to 75.  What would be a good all around pad or do you guys swap pads out for the weather?  

I too live in Washington. I use the TW year round. They usually soften up after a half inning or so. You can also take them and put them in the sun... or at least in a place where the UV rays can warm them up... on your way to the game.

What part of the Evergreen State do you live in?

On 7/15/2019 at 8:45 PM, MadMax said:

Can't i just salt the TWs with my meals every day? Do you use a special sea salt or just regular Morton's?

• Like 1

On 7/16/2019 at 8:20 AM, Biscuit said:

Not quite. I have those mesh laundry pouches for... ahem... delicates and intimates. I I put my mask pads in these, along with the sizing inserts from my Force3 Ultimate shinguards. This way, the Velcro tabs don’t chafe or rough-up my umpire pants and shirts.

I myself do not use common detergents (Tide, Gain, etc) on my Umpire, Soccer, cycling, or skating gear. Instead I use a technical sports wash or soap, such as from Nathan or Penguin. Unlike detergents, this won’t affect the moisture-wicking qualities of these technical fabrics, and also won’t add a residue that acts as a catalyst for fading faster.

I routinely wash my mask pads every other or every third game (series).

56 minutes ago, MadMax said:

Not quite. I have those mesh laundry pouches for... ahem... delicates and intimates. I I put my mask pads in these, along with the sizing inserts from my Force3 Ultimate shinguards. This way, the Velcro tabs don’t chafe or rough-up my umpire pants and shirts.

I myself do not use common detergents (Tide, Gain, etc) on my Umpire, Soccer, cycling, or skating gear. Instead I use a technical sports wash or soap, such as from Nathan or Penguin. Unlike detergents, this won’t affect the moisture-wicking qualities of these technical fabrics, and also won’t add a residue that acts as a catalyst for fading faster.

I routinely wash my mask pads every other or every third game (series).

Are you sure your technical formula is not called OCD. Always learn something with your posts. Keep them coming.

• Haha 1