Pitchers and Sunglasses

Guest Matt
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1718 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

11 answers to this question

This is for Little League.  We had a controversy and it was determined by a league director that since there was no specific rule the pitcher was allowed to wear reflective sunglasses.   I've always applied what noumpere has stated and then additionally applied rule 9.03(c); "Each umpire has the authority to rule on any point not specifically covered by these rules."  Thanks.

3 minutes ago, Guest Matt said:

This is for Little League.  We had a controversy and it was determined by a league director that since there was no specific rule the pitcher was allowed to wear reflective sunglasses.   I've always applied what noumpere has stated and then additionally applied rule 9.03(c); "Each umpire has the authority to rule on any point not specifically covered by these rules."  Thanks.

That "determination" should have been further protested up the chain. 

I'm sure we will talk about this again at our district meeting after the state tournament is completed.  I appreciate all of your responses which have reinforced my interpretation of this.  As agdz59 said, in most cases we don't even worry about it unless someone complains, but when the situation  arises you want to make the correct call.  Thanks again.

3 hours ago, agdz59 said:

In LL, I've had pitchers remove their sunglasses if we at the plate were getting reflections. Otherwise, I haven't worried about it.

This. We had a coach complain about it, with a new pitcher. PU allowed the glasses. During the first pitch, he called no pitch and had them removed. A brief flash was enough to make it distracting. 

15 hours ago, Guest Matt said:

9.01c

If the batter complains that (or the umpire determines) it is distracting, then they need to go.  Otherwise, you could open yourself up for litigation in this wonderful place we live in if YOU have them remove them.  At least with LL "safety" concerns, you are covered if they are distracting to the batter.  Some could consider the sunglasses as a safety device, and who am I to determine if that "comebacker" could have been seen better if he/she were wearing shades........... as opposed to just flat out making up something to have them remove them, and then taking that ball to the face.