Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ryan

Dropped 3rd ump error

Question

Guest Ryan

Batter swings at a 2-2 pitch that appears to hit the ground, (but catcher swears he caught it).  Ump quickly calls "strike 3 batters out" as the batter starts to run to first.  Runner looks at ump and says it hit the ground.  Catcher throws it around to 3rd baseman, but after apparent confusion they throw it to 1st.  Runner never ran to 1st.

Ump calls a conference with the field ump, comes back and reverses his call and gives the batter another pitch (he got a hit).  

Assuming the ball hit the ground, the ump made a mistake in calling batter out. But, what should the ump have done after realizing the mistake?  I contend it's still a strike out and batter is out.

13 answers to this question

FED has a specific rule on this:  Do "what would have happened" -- and since F2 cleanly gloved the ball (as I read the play) , it's likely that BR is still going to be out.

I'd use that at all levels we do.

The last thing to happen is a "do over."  Lah me.

There are no "do-overs" in this situation.

The umpire made a mistake so the umpire fixes it.  In this case, I agree with the post above, it's more than likely the batter/runner would have been thrown out at first, he's out, play on.

Sounds to me like the umpire conference changed the call to foul ball. If the batter swung as you say and then the conference decided the ball hit hen batter r have a dead ball and a strikeout. 

Nothing in the original post indicated the batter fouled off the pitch.

Sounds to me like the ump made a mistake on the call and after conferring he (they) decided the way to fix it was a do-over.

Of course, anything is possible! :)

2 hours ago, Lou B said:

Nothing in the original post indicated the batter fouled off the pitch.

Sounds to me like the ump made a mistake on the call and after conferring he (they) decided the way to fix it was a do-over.

Of course, anything is possible! :)

I’m giving the crew the benefit of the doubt ruling foul ball. Any other way the batter gets back in the box is by making stuff up. 

4 hours ago, Lou B said:

If the batter fouled off the pitch why would he run to first base?

From the OP:

On 7/13/2019 at 10:55 AM, Guest Ryan said:

Batter swings at a 2-2 pitch that appears to hit the ground, (but catcher swears he caught it).  Ump quickly calls "strike 3 batters out" as the batter starts to run to first.  Runner looks at ump and says it hit the ground.  Catcher throws it around to 3rd baseman, but after apparent confusion they throw it to 1st.  Runner never ran to 1st.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, noumpere said:

Did you miss "as the batter starts to run to first"?

Probably stopped due to the confusion on the strike three call.

Point is, why would he start to run to first if he fouled off the pitch?

1 hour ago, Lou B said:

Probably stopped due to the confusion on the strike three call.  Possibly/Likely

Point is, why would he start to run to first if he fouled off the pitch?  Thought it might go fair?

Foul ball seems to justify the umps decision, not saying it was!  

I'm not going to try to figure out some scenario that makes the umps call correct.

The batter started to run to first and also told the ump the ball hit the ground.

The plate ump missed the call (it happens) and then the umps blew the fix (sorry no do-over).

So even if the ball hit the ground ... the BR should have run all the way to first base before contesting the call.  Since he didn’t ...

... As the umpire, worst possible case on a bad day, I look at the runner and say “OK.  But they just threw you out anyway.”

There is NO such thing as a do-over.  There are correctable umpire errors and uncorrectable umpire errors.  This is an uncorrectable if the PU was wrong.

Large Cluster Flop

If the fielders thru the ball to 1st and the runner never made it there, and the PU called strike 3 batter is out then the batter should have been out.  Error on the PU yes but based on not making it to 1st, BR is still out. 

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this