How To Score Atlantic League Steal of 1st?

agdz59
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1730 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

2 hours ago, agdz59 said:

But then the batter doesn't get OBP credit.

Just change the scoring rules to "charge the payer an AB when..... he reaches first before three strikes or 4 balls.  Charge the defense with PB or WP, but not an additional error " (or do charge them with an error, I don't care.)

Treat it like a BB - no at bat, but a plate appearance - just call it something else.  Base on Missed Pitch? BMP.   Gets counted for OBP just like BB's.   There's no way around it without creating a new method to reach base, and a new stat calc.  Ultimately, that's not baseball, so they can have whatever video game standards they want.

• Like 3

I think it's gonna be a SB, and they may count a steal of first as a PA and as helping your OBP.

Here are the crazy rules in that league. A friend of mine is working the plate tomorrow with the computer balls-strikes calls for the first time.

Atlantic League Debuts New Rules, E-Zone

atl-robos.png
After a half-season's delay, the Atlantic League and MLB announced the debut of an automated ball-strike system (ABS) at Wednesday's All-Star Game in York. TrackMan powers the computer zone technology, as it does in Major League Baseball's pitch tracking efforts; umpires will hear ABS prompts after each pitch. ALPB also will institute a series of rule changes for the second half of its 2019 season.

New Rules, Atlantic League
Electronic Balls and Strikes: TrackMan will deem pitches "ball" or "strike" based on similar methodology to how the technology functions at the Major League level. A Human home plate umpire will wear a Bluetooth-connected AirPod earpiece paired with an iPhone, which is hooked up to a software program in the press box whose sole task is to call balls and strikes. The human umpire will still retain final clerical authority over pitch-calling if the system is clearly wrong (which we anticipate it will be at times).

SIDEBAR: As the ALPB-MLB joint statement clearly indicates that MLB's "for entertainment only" pitch tracking technology is to be used to actually call pitches during live gameplay, it logically is subject to the same criticism and commentary as the MLB version. Our series on baseball's electronic strike zone, its pitfalls, errors, and complications, can be found at the following links.
Related PostPodcast - Truth About Baseball's Electronic Strike Zone (6/5/19).
Related PostVideo - Truth About Baseball's Electronic Strike Zone (5/30/19).
Related PostMLB Fight with Hernandez Evokes 20-Year-Old Feud (5/24/19).
Related PostCall for Umpire Accountability & the 97% Plate Score (4/19/19).

As well as a handful of times that TrackMan actually failed in MLB such that post-game adjustment to the vertical strike zone changed an umpire's QOC from incorrect to correct. As previously written, the electronic system has a difficult time with real-time adjustments to individual strike zones (e.g., the computer doesn't know how to adjust during the game, so it must be adjusted afterward).
Related PostMLB Ejection 085 - Lance Barrett (1; Turner Ward) (6/12/19).
Related PostMLB Ejection 077 - Jeremie Rehak (4; Brad Ausmus) (6/9/19).
Related PostMLB Ejections 044-45 - Jeff Nelson (3-4; ATL-MIA) (5/3/19).
Related PostBad Computer Umpire - Faulty Pitch Data Defames Kulpa (4/6/19).

01-balk-osuna.jpg
Pitchers may no longer pick off from plate.
Pitchers Required to Step Off Rubber to Attempt Pickoff: Simply put, pitchers will no longer be permitted to throw to a base from the pitcher's plate; a disengage will be required. Rules-wise, this means any errant pickoff throw that enters the stands will be from a pitcher treated as an infielder—a two-base award. The release did not specify whether the penalty for a pickoff play from the rubber would result in a balk or just a dead ball.

One Foul Bunt Permitted with Two Strikes: Batters will now have an extra chance to bunt, no longer subject to striking out with two strikes...to an extent. If a batter achieves a two-strike count, one foul bunt will be permitted and counted as a simple foul ball with no further penalty (the "he bunts foul on third strike" rule, 5.09(a)(4), will be suspended). Any subsequent bunt attempt after having foul bunted one two-strike pitch shall result in a strikeout, as in OBR 5.09(a)(4).

beckham-tripping-lb.png
Batters can now steal on any dropped pitch.
Batters May Steal First Base: Any pitched ball not caught by the catcher shall be subject to the same baserunning rules for the batter as an uncaught third strike, with the exception of the first base occupied with less than two out exclusion. The batter's election to become a runner (or not) shall be optional, but if invoked by the batter on a wild pitch, passed ball, or other uncaught pitch, it places him (and any forced runners) in jeopardy of being retired: "The batter shall be deemed to have chosen to become a runner under this rule if (i) both of the batter’s feet leave the batter’s box, and (ii) the batter, in the umpire’s judgment, demonstrates or otherwise creates an impression of his intent to advance to first base. If first base is occupied when the batter chooses to become a runner this creates a force play."

little-baez.jpg
ALPB wants umpires to observe batter wrists.
"Check Swings" More Batter-Friendly: Perhaps the most ambiguous rules change of all is the instruction to base umpires to give greater deference to the offense when ruling on half swing appeals. Here's ALPB's guidance: "In making his ruling, the base umpire should determine whether the batter’s wrists 'rolled over' during an attempt to strike at the ball and, if not, call the pitch a ball."

Gil's Call: Each of the four aforementioned rules changes appear designed to assist the offensive team and generate baserunners or keep batsmen at the plate for an extra pitch or two. This is baseball's "increase offense" initiative, which is an interesting pairing with several of the Atlantic League's pace-of-play rules changes already in existence.

The following Atlantic League first-half rules changes will remain in place:
> No mound visits permitted other than to change pitchers and attend to injuries;
> Non-injured pitchers must face 3+ batters or end an inning before being replaced;
> Bases are increased from 15-inches square to 18-inches square;
> Time between innings and pitching changes reduced from 2:05 to 1:45.

How can it be a fielder's choice?

Did the new rule specify that is how it is scored because it certainly doesn't meet the definition of a fielder's choice.

Then again, if you're changing the rules who cares about definitions!  :)

Again, to me he got to first on a WP (E1) or PB (E2) not a FC.

On 7/11/2019 at 6:27 PM, agdz59 said:

I haven't heard it mentioned?  It's not a K, not a BB, not a single.  You'd want it to count for OBP so you wouldn't call it a SB.

???

I forgot to reply to this last week, but my preferred answer would be:  "you DON'T score it, since it's a dumb rule that shouldn't exist in the first place."

• Like 2

17 hours ago, HokieUmp said:

I forgot to reply to this last week, but my preferred answer would be:  "you DON'T score it, since it's a dumb rule that shouldn't exist in the first place."

Well.................since we are being transparent.........my first thought was "I've got enough to worry about.  I don't give a $#!T how it's scored".

• Like 2

SWMBO is a "back up" TD for our little league "district only" tournament.  Some call it "Best of the rest" for those that didn't make all stars.  It just give the kids more baseball to play. 

ANYWAY........I got back from my game (in another town) last evening, and stopped by to see how she was doing.  She was "filling in" for the scorekeeper and knows (or at least I THOUGHT) how to keep a book as far as F8... 6/4/3, etc.  I was surprised when asked me how to score a play.  More importantly, she asked if using "idk" in the book would be acceptable.

I told her to stick to concessions.

So ... umpires are refusing to overturn the computer ... runners are refusing to run per the new rule ... ejections seem to be ramping up ...  yeah, yeah, it’s all good.

Savoy, tell your friend 01000111 01101111 01101111 01100100 00100000 01101100 01110101 01100011 01101011

• Like 1