Sign in to follow this  
Gil

MLB Call-Up Umpire Hiring Outlook - 2019 Break

2019's MLB call-up list features 18 Triple-A umpires looking for a big league job. With several umpire vacancies expected across the full-time staff at year's end, MLB Umpire Observer's hiring outlook at the All-Star Break looks at the minor league officials most likely to be hired over the...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

My question would be, who do we expect to see retirements from? 

As the article suggests it may be more lucrative for someone to retire under the current CBA vs next year's.

..................or does next years CBA fail........and we have another MASS resignation?

I don't know the details, but I caught that in Gil's post as well.  It would imply to me that future CBA might be as lucrative (if interpreted a certain way).

Here are the ages now, of the next 10 umpires who would end up being 65-72, if another '5' year CBA is signed, and they stayed all 5 years for some reason.

Joe West 67, Gerry Davis 66, Gary Cederstrom 64, Phil Cuzzi 64, Larry Vanover 64, Dana DeMuth 63, Tom Hallion 63, Jerry Layne 61, Mike Winters 61, Brian Gorman 60.

Only West can basically catch the all time game record set by Klem and cannot retire without performing during the new contract for 2020 if he wants to go the whole year or sometime in July???? around 4th to the all star game time??? if he wanted to hang it up the very next day after breaking the record.

The most WS worked record will never be caught, and the "most recent times", record being 6 WS has Ed Montague( retired), West and Davis at that mark. Of course DeMuth has 5 WS.

Now Davis or West and maybe DeMuth could catch the little less recent WS record going back to the 60's of Al Barlick with 7 WS.

The second group of 10 umpires below would all be 60 or above at the end of a 5 year CBA in 2024, and of course ready for retirement if they so chose with 25-30 years on the field for all but Hickox.

Jeff Kellogg 63, Jerry Meals 63, Angel Hernandez 63, Kerwin Danly 63, Ed Hickox 62, Brian O'Nora 61, Laz Diaz 61, Paul Nauert 61, Fieldin Culbreth 61, Ted Barrett 60.

And Kellogg has 5 WS so far out of this group to chase after 6 or 7.

So, already there are 10 umpires 60 and above right now that might be replaced with-in the next 5 years and 10 more within the 5 years after that. And by the first 5 years, 2024, you will also have the rest of the 99 class hired during the dispute year, that would have 25 years under their belts and be at least 55-59 years old.

And the age of the call ups right now.

May 37, Whitson 37, Segal 36, Woodring 36, Marley 36, Bacon 35, DeJesus 35, Livensparger 35, Ortiz 34, and Blakney, Barber, Additon at 33. Youngster is still Lentz at 29.