Umpire in Chief

What do you think about these new rules in the Atlantic league?

First, I coppied and pasted this directly from Close Call Sports...

Next, For this discussion's purpose we'll ignore the electronic strike zone calling. 

But what do you think about these new rules?

Pitchers Required to Step Off Rubber to Attempt Pickoff:
Simply put, pitchers will no longer be permitted to throw to a base from the pitcher's plate; a disengage will be required. Rules-wise, this means any errant pickoff throw that enters the stands will be from a pitcher treated as an infielder—a two-base award. The release did not specify whether the penalty for a pickoff play from the rubber would result in a balk or just a dead ball.

One Foul Bunt Permitted with Two Strikes:
Batters will now have an extra chance to bunt, no longer subject to striking out with two strikes...to an extent. If a batter achieves a two-strike count, one foul bunt will be permitted and counted as a simple foul ball with no further penalty (the "he bunts foul on third strike" rule, 5.09(a)(4), will be suspended). Any subsequent bunt attempt after having foul bunted one two-strike pitch shall result in a strikeout, as in OBR 5.09(a)(4).

Batters can now steal on any dropped pitch.
Batters May Steal First Base: Any pitched ball not caught by the catcher shall be subject to the same baserunning rules for the batter as an uncaught third strike, with the exception of the first base occupied with less than two out exclusion. The batter's election to become a runner (or not) shall be optional, but if invoked by the batter on a wild pitch, passed ball, or other uncaught pitch, it places him (and any forced runners) in jeopardy of being retired: "The batter shall be deemed to have chosen to become a runner under this rule if (i) both of the batter’s feet leave the batter’s box, and (ii) the batter, in the umpire’s judgment, demonstrates or otherwise creates an impression of his intent to advance to first base. If first base is occupied when the batter chooses to become a runner this creates a force play."

ALPB wants umpires to observe batter wrists.
"Check Swings" More Batter-Friendly: Perhaps the most ambiguous rules change of all is the instruction to base umpires to give greater deference to the offense when ruling on half swing appeals. Here's ALPB's guidance: "In making his ruling, the base umpire should determine whether the batter’s wrists 'rolled over' during an attempt to strike at the ball and, if not, call the pitch a ball."

I'll copy/paste my comments from the other thread:

Wow, they really jumped the shark with these rule changes.  Though, as an umpire, the rule about a batter being able to "steal" first is kind of cool.  Catchers will now have to have the mentality to block every pitch in the dirt which should mean less of them are let through to hit us.

The "rolling of the wrists" rule for check swings must have been advocated by the broadcaster's union.  They've been telling audiences for years that "he didn't break his wrists" so it must not be an attempt.  Now they will be right about it for once.

All in all, these rules fly in the face of the "games are too long" argument, since most of these rule changes will actually lengthen games.

Now to answer my own question...

Pitchers required to step off the rubber- I don't see the necessity, but I see a lot less balk calls in their future.

One foul permitted with 2 strikes - No, why extend someone's at bat, the vast majority of professional players seem to have forgotten how to bunt anyhow. 

Batter's stealing on any dropped pitch - I actually like this one. It gives a little more penalty to a WP or PB, etc. I forgot which came it was in the Regional or Super Regionals of the CWS, but there was a catcher who was irritating me with the number of pitches he just let go by (nobody was on). I also like the removal of the bases occupied rule. This will give a little more option for liveliness in the game. 

Checking the wrists on a check swing - Hell no. 

Pitchers stepping off yep all for it.

bunters getting a foul chance, eh Nope  I have actually seen one kid this yr skillfully and brass balls, bunt with 2 strikes 2 different times.  If they want to take that chance they take that chance, don't give them 2 shots at it.

Any drop pitch steal.  I like the idea but I would like to see the rules of him becoming a runner fixed,  I don't like the both feet out of the box.  what if he lost his balance, or heaven forbid what if there is a guy on 3rd and he steps backwards to allow the 3rd base guy see the plate area.  But anyway I like it just tighten up what is the transition from hitter to runner.

breaking the wrist? wtf.. yeah NOPE  I'd like to break the wrist of the twit announcer who pushed that.  How about a simple judgement did the head of the bat cross the opposing base  IE 1st for a righty 3rd for a lefty.  

14 minutes ago, ArchAngel72 said:

Pitchers stepping off yep all for it.

bunters getting a foul chance, eh Nope  I have actually seen one kid this yr skillfully and brass balls, bunt with 2 strikes 2 different times.  If they want to take that chance they take that chance, don't give them 2 shots at it.

Any drop pitch steal.  I like the idea but I would like to see the rules of him becoming a runner fixed,  I don't like the both feet out of the box.  what if he lost his balance, or heaven forbid what if there is a guy on 3rd and he steps backwards to allow the 3rd base guy see the plate area.  But anyway I like it just tighten up what is the transition from hitter to runner.

breaking the wrist? wtf.. yeah NOPE  I'd like to break the wrist of the twit announcer who pushed that.  How about a simple judgement did the head of the bat cross the opposing base  IE 1st for a righty 3rd for a lefty.  

They addressed this:

AND (ii) the batter, in the umpire’s judgment, demonstrates or otherwise creates an impression of his intent to advance to first base. If first base is occupied when the batter chooses to become a runner this creates a force play."

Stepping off the rubber ... I’m good with that.

Everything else ... what in the everloving #### are they smoking?  This is all a joke, right?  Is it April 1 already?  bill murray interspecies GIF

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Umpire in Chief said:

First, I coppied and pasted this directly from Close Call Sports...

Next, For this discussion's purpose we'll ignore the electronic strike zone calling. 

But what do you think about these new rules?

Pitchers Required to Step Off Rubber to Attempt Pickoff:
Simply put, pitchers will no longer be permitted to throw to a base from the pitcher's plate; a disengage will be required. Rules-wise, this means any errant pickoff throw that enters the stands will be from a pitcher treated as an infielder—a two-base award. The release did not specify whether the penalty for a pickoff play from the rubber would result in a balk or just a dead ball.

One Foul Bunt Permitted with Two Strikes:
Batters will now have an extra chance to bunt, no longer subject to striking out with two strikes...to an extent. If a batter achieves a two-strike count, one foul bunt will be permitted and counted as a simple foul ball with no further penalty (the "he bunts foul on third strike" rule, 5.09(a)(4), will be suspended). Any subsequent bunt attempt after having foul bunted one two-strike pitch shall result in a strikeout, as in OBR 5.09(a)(4).

Batters can now steal on any dropped pitch.
Batters May Steal First Base: Any pitched ball not caught by the catcher shall be subject to the same baserunning rules for the batter as an uncaught third strike, with the exception of the first base occupied with less than two out exclusion. The batter's election to become a runner (or not) shall be optional, but if invoked by the batter on a wild pitch, passed ball, or other uncaught pitch, it places him (and any forced runners) in jeopardy of being retired: "The batter shall be deemed to have chosen to become a runner under this rule if (i) both of the batter’s feet leave the batter’s box, and (ii) the batter, in the umpire’s judgment, demonstrates or otherwise creates an impression of his intent to advance to first base. If first base is occupied when the batter chooses to become a runner this creates a force play."

ALPB wants umpires to observe batter wrists.
"Check Swings" More Batter-Friendly: Perhaps the most ambiguous rules change of all is the instruction to base umpires to give greater deference to the offense when ruling on half swing appeals. Here's ALPB's guidance: "In making his ruling, the base umpire should determine whether the batter’s wrists 'rolled over' during an attempt to strike at the ball and, if not, call the pitch a ball."

1.  Good with it.

2.  Learn how to bunt.  It seems to be a lost art.  I couldn't hit a fast ball to save my life, but I could always bunt.

3. Could become wild to watch and could cause a few confrontations while adjusting to it.  But could be fun.

4. Not sure how I feel.  Will there be video review for this?

If the rules help with the gathering of new fans, I'm all for them.

I'm just going to give my 2 cents on the WP stealing 1B thing.  I think it's it's utterly ridiculous. It flies in the face of basic baseball rules...

1..The batter hasn't completed his at bat if he can run on any pitch. 

2..The idea of the catcher having to catch the 3rd strike is, for all intents and purposes, to complete the strike out with a put out. Every out has to be a put out. (runner tagged, caught fly ball, force out at a base, etc.)The exception for less than two outs and 1B occupied is to prevent the intentional drop/double play. 

Just silly..MHO

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Thatsnotyou said:

They addressed this:

AND (ii) the batter, in the umpire’s judgment, demonstrates or otherwise creates an impression of his intent to advance to first base. If first base is occupied when the batter chooses to become a runner this creates a force play."

Oh so now its a judgement call by the PU? Or is that a BU call sorry no want clearer settings laid out.  I mean we call balls and strikes but we know what the strike zone is we call outs and safe with regards to runners being safer or not but there are regs telling us how to call that call..  just saying its the umps judgement nope sorry bad rule set. Needs more thought and to be laid out better.

Drug test all the guys who made these "rule changes". The checked swing madness is going to bring on  a lot more ejections....and what about the batter to decides to run, what if he thinks better of it and still has one foot in the batters box....is he out? safe? This is inviting madness and seems like a desperate ploy to get more people interested in the game with inviting more controversy. I don't see this as being in the best interests of baseball over the long haul.

All of a sudden it's fun and games for the announcers...." Ohhh trackman got me, hahaha". Two days ago, the same guy would have been saying "That's just terrible, how can you take the bat out of his hands like that" 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Richvee said:

All of a sudden it's fun and games for the announcers...." Ohhh trackman got me, hahaha". Two days ago, the same guy would have been saying "That's just terrible, how can you take the bat out of his hands like that" 

Excellent post! Completely agree!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm at work and don't have the volume on, but Wow.

Now here's the rule...

Electronic Balls and Strikes: TrackMan will deem pitches "ball" or "strike" based on similar methodology to how the technology functions at the Major League level. A Human home plate umpire will wear a Bluetooth-connected AirPod earpiece paired with an iPhone, which is hooked up to a software program in the press box whose sole task is to call balls and strikes. The human umpire will still retain final clerical authority over pitch-calling if the system is clearly wrong (which we anticipate it will be at times).

Part of me says he should have overruled it, but the oppositional defiant disorder part of me wants to call what TrackMan tells me to call - just to shove their stupid system up their @ss.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Umpire in Chief said:

Now here's the rule...

Electronic Balls and Strikes: TrackMan will deem pitches "ball" or "strike" based on similar methodology to how the technology functions at the Major League level. A Human home plate umpire will wear a Bluetooth-connected AirPod earpiece paired with an iPhone, which is hooked up to a software program in the press box whose sole task is to call balls and strikes. The human umpire will still retain final clerical authority over pitch-calling if the system is clearly wrong (which we anticipate it will be at times).

Part of me says he should have overruled it, but the oppositional defiant disorder part of me wants to call what TrackMan tells me to call - just to shove their stupid system up their @ss.  

I take the bolded to mean if the pitch bounces in front of the plate or is thrown over the catcher's head.  Not for pitches that might have missed by a couple of inches.  But I agree - shove it right up their asses.

It's hard enough to pick off a runner as it is, making the pitcher disengage first and you can just about forget about ever picking someone off.

You might as well try to bunt with two strikes, if you foul it off you get a do-over - ridiculous.

Running on any uncaught pitch - crazy is an understatement.

Rolling the wrists might actually work.

So, one out of four for me.

======

As for the strikeout, trackman calls high/low pitches based on a "typical" batter height.  So calls on a short or tall batter can easily be off, which is why the plate ump "can" over-ride the computer.  I guess in this case the ump felt it was close enough to agree with the computer and called a strike.  Doubt the ump would override the computer unless, for whatever reason, the computer was "way off".

I do a lot of LL, and that's a strike all day long.

That said, at the HS level they do complain about the "LL zone" ha ha!

(And hitters will have to get used to the pitch at the midpoint...or truly in the corners...)

47 minutes ago, Lou B said:

As for the strikeout, trackman calls high/low pitches based on a "typical" batter height.  So calls on a short or tall batter can easily be off, which is why the plate ump can over-ride the computer.  I guess in this case the ump felt it was close enough to agree with the computer and called a strike.

I've often thought the strike zone definition should be changed from "knees to mid-point" to 20" off the ground to "48" off the ground (or whatever -- adjusted for lower levels).

So, instead of using the batter's body parts as reference points you want the ump to judge where 20 inches and 48 inches above the plate are with no reference points?

That said, that's basically what the computer is doing, it's calling low/high pitches based pre-set heights, not according to how tall or short the actual batter is.

On 7/11/2019 at 9:55 AM, Umpire in Chief said:

Now here's the rule...

I think the last 9 words from your post above were just mentioned below. P.S. CCS beat me too the punch, but I wasn't checking there first.

On 7/11/2019 at 9:55 AM, Umpire in Chief said:

Now here's the rule...

Well here is your steal of first base on 0-1 pitch.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/07/baseball-rule-changes-atlantic-league-steals-first-video-mlb-umps

Runner on first, pitcher throws a Wild Pitch, runner advances to second.  Is it a Stolen Base - No.

Batter at the plate.  Pitcher throws a Wild Pitch, batter runs to first.  Why is it a Stolen Base?

They changed the rule but didn't think about the ramifications of how to score it!  Hopefully they will issue guidance on how all of this should be scored.

How many pitches are the catchers with good hands and technique getting from trackman for their pitchers now? How does framing, pulling pitches, sticking pitches work now?

How is giving the umpire a good look, getting down lower or not going so far inside working? What about umps working higher when catcher is not giving the umpire a good look going now?

What about the tendency to move over into the red zone with that green yellow red map to get a good look working now. Is anyone using the outside protector for more body protection yet and to stay cooler behind the plate.

• Like 1

Are umpires hard to find.

Tired of johnny being subjectively called out on a pitch and ruining his spot in MLB, just like a big red stain spot on a white shirt, and keeping the family out of poverty with that $ 8 million dollar first round draft pick that you know he is being cheated out of.

Assignors-are you having trouble getting umpires. Now you only need one for any game at any level. With trackman, your plate umpire only needs to call fair/foul, HBP. Your umpires can line up directly behind the catcher with their head directly behind the catchers to prevent concussions and wear the outside protecter.

If 2 umpires are needed, now the BU can start from B position since PU now has all fair foul line calls in front of the bag and after the bag. This now prevents BU from having to meet the 10 second flat timed 100 yard dash trials. BU will help on check swings from B or C since that is same view PU gets, just on the opposite side of the batter and catcher.

Trackman, we are the future.