Lucroy Plate Collision Call

stkjock
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1719 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27142173/angels-lucroy-carted-collision-plate

Wonder the boards thoughts on this play/call?

One thing I thought odd, was PU doesn't make any signal that I could see, ball is on the ground R3 touches home and nothing.... indecision on his part due to the collision..??? 

I agree that it's a correct call.

I really think I believe Marisnick's statement that he made a decision to go inside and it just happened that Lucroy was there. I could be wrong, but his actions after the collision and the fact it was a diving collision (not a shoulder-down full-run) leads me to think this was just a mishap.

48 minutes ago, yawetag said:

I agree that it's a correct call.

I really think I believe Marisnick's statement that he made a decision to go inside and it just happened that Lucroy was there. I could be wrong, but his actions after the collision and the fact it was a diving collision (not a shoulder-down full-run) leads me to think this was just a mishap.

Stop the video at the 2 second point and tell me where they are located at the point of impact?  He clocked him, pure and simple.   Now he may not have meant to hurt him, but his actions are deliberate.  And it isn't like he doesn't know the rule.

• Like 1

There appears to be from replay no doubt he went after the catcher and not the plate.

I agree out on the call I would have also tossed him from the game.  If I were MLB I would be calling him to the office and asking him how many games he thought he should be suspended for a hit on a catcher that was purposeful and looks like he meant to harm him.  After his answer I would give him 7 days upon appeal it would be knocked down to 3 most likely LOL.

But yeah out at home. agree with call  Just hope MLB steps up and does more.

• Like 1

Intent??? I'm not positive, but am leaning towards yes. Just remember we really don't need intent.

• Looks like he tried to go inside - Why would an experienced player try to go inside on a play like that
  • What really looks bad is he raises his arm and leads with the shoulder. (one could possibly say in defense???)
  • This image makes me say yes to intent.
    collision.PNG
  • In this image it shows he sees the catcher in the path, and has plenty of time to react. From a different angle we see the ball in near the mound at this point. You also see he's right on the baseline, why would an experienced player go inside in this situation?  It puts you further from the plate.

The umpires made the correct call, now let's see what further action is taken from MLB.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've seen several versions of this now on Instagram and other sites, as well as here, and I still think it was intentional.  I'm amazed at how many people say the catcher was blocking the plate.  

Why would any runner, on a throw coming in from RF, take the "inside" of the plate instead of sliding to the back of the plate away from where the ball would be coming from?  Marisnick is 2-3 feet inside of the line when approaching the plate and making contact. How could he not have noticed Lucroy was up there waiting for the ball?  The plate was wide open with no one blocking it - so why run inside the line where the catcher is attempting to receive a throw unless you wanted contact?

I agree it was the right call and I expect MLB to do something more than just get an out here.

Has anyone seen Yadier Molina's comments on this?  This is him below.

flame thrower fire GIF

On 7/8/2019 at 9:58 AM, Umpire in Chief said:

Intent??? I'm not positive, but am leaning towards yes. Just remember we really don't need intent.

• Looks like he tried to go inside - Why would an experienced player try to go inside on a play like that
  • What really looks bad is he raises his arm and leads with the shoulder. (one could possibly say in defense???)
  • This image makes me say yes to intent.
    collision.PNG
  • In this image it shows he sees the catcher in the path, and has plenty of time to react. From a different angle we see the ball in near the mound at this point. You also see he's right on the baseline, why would an experienced player go inside in this situation?  It puts you further from the plate.

The umpires made the correct call, now let's see what further action is taken from MLB.

The inside part is what leads me to believe it was intentional.   I can't remember seeing a MLB player slide inside.  Not once.  Doesn't mean I overlooked it, just can't recall.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2019 at 9:36 AM, umpstu said:

What needs to be signaled.  

Something...anything.  Safe if he's safe (he did touch the plate)...out if he's out.

I don't think he intended to injure, but he did intend to hit the catcher to knock the ball loose.  This is the act of a runner who thinks he's dead to rights.  The catcher was always inside..and was still inside at point of contact.  

The funny thing is, if he just slides to the outside of the plate he's likely safe (considering the catcher dropped the ball before contact)....same thing on the Posey play that lead to the new rule - just slide at the plate and he's safe.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2019 at 11:36 AM, ArchAngel72 said:

There appears to be from replay no doubt he went after the catcher and not the plate.

I agree out on the call I would have also tossed him from the game.  If I were MLB I would be calling him to the office and asking him how many games he thought he should be suspended for a hit on a catcher that was purposeful and looks like he meant to harm him.  After his answer I would give him 7 days upon appeal it would be knocked down to 3 most likely LOL.

But yeah out at home. agree with call  Just hope MLB steps up and does more.

The penalty for chickensh!t plays like this (in any sport - baseball, football, hockey, etc.) should be a suspension greater than the amount of time the injured player misses.  I know that will never happen though.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

The penalty for chickensh!t plays like this (in any sport - baseball, football, hockey, etc.) should be a suspension greater than the amount of time the injured player misses.  I know that will never happen though.

I agree, When I see stuff like this happen in Hockey or Football I think it should be 2 times what the injured player incurred,  Oh whoops you ended a guys career, Yeah yours is done too.  I'm not talking accidental stuff.  I mean down right dirty play. 

and UiC  I'm sorry I disagree.  When you look at the overhead from behind the plate view he (imho) looks to veer at the catcher instead of stay is line towards the plate.  That is what makes me feel he had intent to knock the catcher into tomorrow.  Of course this is my opinion via what I see.  You have your right to your opinion of course.. It maybe wrong but its yours   ( sarcasm ) :P.

Anywho   I just hope MLB does something time and monetary for this hit.

• Like 1

As others have said, no way should he have taken an inside path, especially approaching the plate looking directly at the catcher set up inside the baseline.  If he had taken an outside path (behind the wide open plate) and slid he most likely would have avoided any tag attempt.  This was intentional and needs to be punished severely.

Ok  HE got 2 games..

I am triggered!

What the hell.  He probably put that catcher out for a week if not more and all he loses is an undisclosed amount of $ plus 2 games ?  That's not enough..

I'm ok with the fine but seriously needs to be 5 games or more make it 10 and let the players union argue it back down to 5.  But 2 pfft  slap on the hand.  What if that catcher suffers from some career ending thing due to concussion issues.  sigh sorry just NOT happy

• Like 2

Marisnick posted on his Twitter account afterward that he "made a split second decision at full speed'' and that he thought the play was going to be on the outside when he made the move toward the inside of the plate. He reiterated that when talking at his locker before Thursday's game.

He said his lunging move before the contact with Lucroy "was me trying to clear all the way to the inside, and that's why I'm so far inside, and the throw to the plate took him a little bit more inside than I anticipated.''

Found that on ESPN from an article on the suspension 

As an "old" D1 catcher, I would hang onto my mask in my right hand and wait and see if I thought there was going to be a play at the plate and put it back on if a play was imminent.  

I did play back in the days that you could run over the catcher, though.