RBIbaseball

Missed base on obstructed runner

Question

3 ump system (I was 1B side), R1 and R3, no outs. BR hits a ground ball to left field. R3 scores easily. F4 is straddling the inside of 2B (as in facing home heels up against both inside sides of the bag - no way to run over the base without a collision) making it very hard for R1 to properly round second. R1 alters his run to avoid F4, going wide. R1 tries to reach in and "toe tap" 2B while rounding wide, but clearly misses by a few inches. (I make a mental note of obstruction and the missed base, but I did not signal anything for obstruction... not sure if that matters)  R1 ends up sliding under the tag at 3B safely on a very close play. I was prepared to call time and award 3B to R1 if my partner had called him out.

My question is: If the defense properly appealed the miss at 2B ( which they didn't), would I be able to award him 3B on obstruction since he clearly missed it due to altering his run path to avoid colliding with F4? Or would he be out on the appeal since he failed to touch the base, obstruction or not?

My gut tells me he would be out on appeal as that takes precedence, but in the moment I was prepared to award him 3B even if they appealed.

10 answers to this question

Going out on a limb here without looking it up ...

You should call the obstruction when it happens ... not just make a mental note.  Then you remove lots of questions after the fact.  NEVER “pocket” a call for a “just in case” award.  Since you did not, you are going to open yourself up for questions when ...

... you kill the ball and award him third base on the obstruction.  The obstruction award does NOT relieve the runner of the obligation to touch second base, even though the obstruction caused him to miss it.  He needs to go retouch second base (without liability to be put out) and then go back to third.  If he just stands on third base, when the ball is put back into play he is subject to being called out on the appeal.

I don’t know that I have any “legal” backing on this part:  since the obstruction caused him to miss second base, I would not allow the defense to make a dead ball appeal at that point, so as to allow the runner an opportunity to retag under the award.  If he doesn’t go retag, then I would put the ball back in play and then allow the defense to ask for time to make their appeal.  Messy ... even messier if don’t CALL the obstruction!  :P

@The Man in Blue Yes, I made a mistake for sure not signaling obstruction. Trying to get better with that stuff as I am just starting out. I sill have the right to award a runner a base with obstruction, even if I don't signal, correct? I understand it's not best practice and could get messy.

If you’re making a “mental note” of the OBS call it and point at the OBS. 

The penalty for the Type 2 OBS by rule, allows you to award bases that would negate the effects of the OBS. I’m not calling him out on appeal since the OBS is what caused the missed base to begin with. 

Just now, JSam21 said:

If you’re making a “mental note” of the OBS call it and point at the OBS. 

The penalty for the Type 2 OBS by rule, allows you to award bases that would negate the effects of the OBS. I’m not calling him out on appeal since the OBS is what caused the missed base to begin with. 

Makes sense, but I wasn't sure if it covered the missed base.

And yes, I definitely should have signaled it. It was due to lack of experience and I was beating myself up for it, even though it didn't come into play.

PBUC 7.28

NOTE: If a runner misses a base because of obstruction, an appeal of his missed base cannot be upheld if in the umpire’s judgment, the base would have been touched had the obstruction not occurred.

5 hours ago, johnpatrick said:

PBUC 7.28

NOTE: If a runner misses a base because of obstruction, an appeal of his missed base cannot be upheld if in the umpire’s judgment, the base would have been touched had the obstruction not occurred.

This falls under any award that would nullify the appeal. We can see why this would be necessary by looking at a scoring play.

Let's say we have R1 and R2 with a potential base hit to left. R2 holds, R1 goes halfway, and the ball is down. R2 takes off with R1 on his heels. Both round 3B and the throw comes to home, where F2 obstructs R2, who misses home due to the obstruction, and R1 scores immediately after. If we cannot award the touch, then R2 can never legally touch home and thus score, and the defense gets out of a run by their illegal action.

13 hours ago, RBIbaseball said:

Makes sense, but I wasn't sure if it covered the missed base.

And yes, I definitely should have signaled it. It was due to lack of experience and I was beating myself up for it, even though it didn't come into play.

Don’t beat yourself up over it.  That is how we learn.  Unfortunately you cannot practice being an umpire.  You can only do it.  :cheers:

Thats also why forums like this are valuable.  However, I would strongly encourage you to look up scenarios in the book to make sure you are correct by the rule set you are using for your game.  As you can see here, different rule sets have differences.  Getting a call wrong is not the worst thing you can do.  The worst thing you can do is apply the wrong rule set.

Thank you for the citation on NOT requiring the runner to retouch.  I know they have to retouch on awards, but I figured that had to be correct since the obstruction caused the missed base.

7 hours ago, RBIbaseball said:

Thanks everyone. What's PBUC?

PBUC

Yes, that would be obstruction type b (assuming the defense wasn't making an active play on the runner which would be type a, which is an immediate call and the ball is dead).

Type b is delayed, you should signal it as it  occurs, but you would not stop the current play (as it's not on the obstructed runner).  Once the play is done you would implement what you felt was needed to correct the obstruction.  In this case, the fact that the runner was obstructed from touching the base by the 2B that did not have possession of the ball, had they appealed.   

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.