Low profile chest protector

BlueMagic

I’m looking for a good low profile chest protector with SMALL shoulder pads. I’m about 5’6, 160 with an athletic build. I currently wear the Champion Body Armor, which is a good fit, but the shoulder pads are too big. I’ve tried the Wilson Gold, but the shoulder pads still seem too big. Maybe I’m trippin’, but I think I look like a linebacker. Any help would be much appreciated.

I saw a guy working a D3 game who looked like he wasn't even wearing a CP. After the game, I asked him about it. He showed it to me, a Pro Nine (https://pronine.com/product/cpu/), in which he had removed the shoulder pads. Slimmest look I've ever seen.

38 minutes ago, LRZ said:

I saw a guy working a D3 game who looked like he wasn't even wearing a CP. After the game, I asked him about it. He showed it to me, a Pro Nine (https://pronine.com/product/cpu/), in which he had removed the shoulder pads. Slimmest look I've ever seen.

Thanks!!

I’m starting to think it’s I’m impossible for guys (5’7, 185 athletic build) like us to get that low profile look as if we don’t have one on. I wear the Champion and look like a linebacker too. 

13 hours ago, LRZ said:

Yeah, those shoulder pads are there for a reason....

• Like 1

Protection, a some point, is a trade off. The ill fated Davishield was a very low profile c/p. Trouble is that it couldn't protect you against a baseball.

My AllStar System 7, IMO, the best protection you can buy ( if it fits your body). And yeah, it's a bit bulky. 

I've got what might be the "Holy Grail" of protectors. Low profile, and "cool". But trust me, it doesn't protect as well as my AllStar. 

In the end, you need to cover all your boney parts with protection against the velocity of the balls attacking you at the level you're working at. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My vote is for a Douglas with the tee hooks and one of the neoprene harnesses (all star, force 3, ump life).  I do understand that makes this a $250 cp but it is the best balance of low profile and protection IMO. I am a similar size 5-8, 180. I also have a S7 that I wear.  I can wear a M shirt with the Douglas, but with the S7 it's a L shirt  

Personally, I would rather hear "dang he took that shot to the chest and it never bothered him one bit" than "dang no wonder he is hurt, it doesn't even look like he's wearing a chest protector". I'd look like robocop if it guaranteed I would never get hurt.  I have never been in a situation where I wished I was less protected.  Regardless of the level, I wear the exact same gear. That's my choice. 

• Like 4

I wear a Wilson Gold small with a couple mods and it is pretty trim. I moved the gap protection on the shoulders in towards me, this made the shoulder pads articulate better without hanging up. I also removed the top side pad as it was also causing binding and generally not playing nice. Also switched to a System 7???? harness. Much better now. If I wear a compression shirt over it, it’s another step towards trim, but I haven’t found this necessary since I made the changes listed above. 5’8” 175#

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-SOS-Baseball-Umpire-Chest-Protector/264309482588?hash=item3d8a12a45c:g:JHkAAOSw8L5cCelz&redirect=mobile

Used during the doc gooden, randy johnson, nolan ryan, roger clemens, rob dibble, Jr Richards and goose gossage days, and I believe they all threw fast at 96-101 in the day, unless you had the carlucci special.

• Like 2

On 7/5/2019 at 7:22 PM, kylejt said:

Protection, a some point, is a trade off. The ill fated Davishield was a very low profile c/p. Trouble is that it couldn't protect you against a baseball.

My AllStar System 7, IMO, the best protection you can buy ( if it fits your body). And yeah, it's a bit bulky. 

I've got what might be the "Holy Grail" of protectors. Low profile, and "cool". But trust me, it doesn't protect as well as my AllStar. 

In the end, you need to cover all your boney parts with protection against the velocity of the balls attacking you at the level you're working at. 

I wear a DaviShield and have had no issues.  I love the flexibility and the fit.  Been hit plenty.

I just wish it breathed better.  

On 7/7/2019 at 7:13 PM, The Man in Blue said:

I wear a DaviShield and have had no issues.  I love the flexibility and the fit.  Been hit plenty.

I just wish it breathed better.  

I took one ball to the ribs, then tried to send it back. They wouldn't take it. No bueno. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/7/2019 at 6:47 PM, dumbdumb said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-SOS-Baseball-Umpire-Chest-Protector/264309482588?hash=item3d8a12a45c:g:JHkAAOSw8L5cCelz&redirect=mobile

Used during the doc gooden, randy johnson, nolan ryan, roger clemens, rob dibble, Jr Richards and goose gossage days, and I believe they all threw fast at 96-101 in the day, unless you had the carlucci special.

My '65 Mustang had a padded dash as a boastful safety feature. I think my Lexus has more airbags than a House full of Representatives. Thank you progress. 

• Like 6

On 7/7/2019 at 8:47 PM, dumbdumb said:

Good call. Embarrassing on my part to forget the Carlucci

• 4 weeks later...

I love my Douglas. I’m 6’3” 220 but I still go for low profile. Just think it looks better. It doesn’t fit me yet quite as well as my champion but it feels more protective (plates are thicker). I may send it in for T hooks which I think will help it contour around my torso a little better. If you don’t like the shoulder caps on the champion then the Douglas might be your best bet. 

• 2 years later...

I'm resurrecting this topic because there is a degree of current relevance... 

We're always looking for a slimmer, trimmer profile in our CPs, without compromising protection. 

Here, take a look at this guy: 

The CP looks pretty low-profile, doesn't it? Conforming, compact, looks athletic... 

Well, I have it on good great authority that the CP is a Schutt-Adams XV. Specifically, it's a MaXV. And to give a frame of reference, that Plate Umpire is 6' 2", 210 lb. That's a Majestic Size Large shirt. 

Yup, that's me back there. And yes, there were pitches that were pushing into 3 digits on this game... not from this exact pitcher, per se. 

The modifications I've performed on this CP have ranged from heat-n'-freeze the shoulder plates, to installing an UmpLife RayFlex II harness, to repositioning the ailettes, to removing the pectoral wings (with my HOK stance, I don't need 'em), to removing the completely unnecessary EVA-foam "winglets" that are supposed to line up under the shoulder pauldrons, but don't, and instead prop up-&-out the pauldrons so one's shoulder width appears wider. 

Is a Schutt-Adams XV ideal for 85º+ degree temperatures ? Oh gosh yes. Is it still protective in 95mph+ velocities? Absolutely. 

As such, I would classify the Schutt-Adams XV, the All-Star Cobalt, and the Champion P2xx into the same group of "off-the-shelf, ready-to-wear" low profile superstars. A TW retro-fitted Gold, or Power, or Douglas can (and often does) achieve that same profile. Stock-standard Douglas, Wilsons (plural, all of 'em; DaviShield doesn't count as a valid CP), Diamonds (the Pro-Form, specifically), and Champros just don't because of their (lazy) reliance on upholstery foam. Wilson WV Golds, specifically, use far too thick upholstery foam on the underside of the (oversized) pauldrons, causing the linebacker look. WV Platinums get flattened out (because there isn't a hinge at the top of the breastplate), have that completely unnecessary billow pad, and have poorly shaped (bumped) ailettes. Douglas units lack ailettes (or some have really discreet ones by custom request), and have really well-sculpted pauldrons... but are completely let down by the stubborn reliance on Qualux upholstery foam, which does nothing but increase bulk.

Force3 UnEquals are in their own "odd" category. Carlucci's and the maybe-some-day-soon CrossedUP CPs are in their own category, too. The point is, you can achieve a trim, low-profile look without compromising protection. All it takes is thinking beyond the stock-standard "what the MLB guys wear!". 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, MadMax said:

I'm resurrecting this topic because there is a degree of current relevance... 

We're always looking for a slimmer, trimmer profile in our CPs, without compromising protection. 

Here, take a look at this guy: 

The CP looks pretty low-profile, doesn't it? Conforming, compact, looks athletic... 

Well, I have it on good great authority that the CP is a Schutt-Adams XV. Specifically, it's a MaXV. And to give a frame of reference, that Plate Umpire is 6' 2", 210 lb. That's a Majestic Size Large shirt. 

Yup, that's me back there. And yes, there were pitches that were pushing into 3 digits on this game... not from this exact pitcher, per se. 

The modifications I've performed on this CP have ranged from heat-n'-freeze the shoulder plates, to installing an UmpLife RayFlex II harness, to repositioning the ailettes, to removing the pectoral wings (with my HOK stance, I don't need 'em), to removing the completely unnecessary EVA-foam "winglets" that are supposed to line up under the shoulder pauldrons, but don't, and instead prop up-&-out the pauldrons so one's shoulder width appears wider. 

Is a Schutt-Adams XV ideal for 85º+ degree temperatures ? Oh gosh yes. Is it still protective in 95mph+ velocities? Absolutely. 

As such, I would classify the Schutt-Adams XV, the All-Star Cobalt, and the Champion P2xx into the same group of "off-the-shelf, ready-to-wear" low profile superstars. A TW retro-fitted Gold, or Power, or Douglas can (and often does) achieve that same profile. Stock-standard Douglas, Wilsons (plural, all of 'em; DaviShield doesn't count as a valid CP), Diamonds (the Pro-Form, specifically), and Champros just don't because of their (lazy) reliance on upholstery foam. Wilson WV Golds, specifically, use far too thick upholstery foam on the underside of the (oversized) pauldrons, causing the linebacker look. WV Platinums get flattened out (because there isn't a hinge at the top of the breastplate), have that completely unnecessary billow pad, and have poorly shaped (bumped) ailettes. Douglas units lack ailettes (or some have really discreet ones by custom request), and have really well-sculpted pauldrons... but are completely let down by the stubborn reliance on Qualux upholstery foam, which does nothing but increase bulk.

Force3 UnEquals are in their own "odd" category. Carlucci's and the maybe-some-day-soon CrossedUP CPs are in their own category, too. The point is, you can achieve a trim, low-profile look without compromising protection. All it takes is thinking beyond the stock-standard "what the MLB guys wear!". 

I'd recognize those elbows anywhere!!!!!!!!! :rollinglaugh:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, MadMax said:

I have this CP. I like it as change from a Champro softside but am interested in making it feel less poofy and look a svelte as it feels.

"repositioning the ailettes" Are you referring to #1 in the attached photos? Did you move them up?

"removed pectoral wings" Are you referring to #2 in the attached photos?

"removing the completely unnecessary EVA-foam "winglets" Is that #3?

Looking at it, I'm not sure I see the value of 3, and 4 (though that is the structure #2 sits on and I'm round, er, wide enough that I think I want to keep #2) and #1 makes everything "poofy" without much value added.

I've also felt the I want to ride it higher for the neckline to be in right place but that makes the shoulders feel too high.

IMG_0602.jpg

IMG_0603.jpg

• Like 1