Liar, Liar, Khakis on Fire

BlueRanger
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1746 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

This was a fun one... 14u tourney game, had gone fairly smoothly thus far. Curveball about 2 feet inside causes the batter to fall over avoiding it. Defensive HC calls time, I grant it because I figure he's changing pitchers. Instead, he comes up to me and starts telling me that the last pitch should be a strike because an umpire the other day told him that a curveball was a strike if the batter ducks (wtf?). I tell him we're not having this conversation and he keeps going so I tell him he's restricted to the dugout. He heads for the dugout, so I get the game going again. After the next pitch comes in, I look over and this guy is standing next to the on deck circle giving signs. I toss him. He tells me he's the HC, so he gets to be outside to give signs. I tell him thats not the case and to leave. Then he says he didn't hear me. Again, I tell him to leave and to stop lying. He has to be restrained by an AC. Finishes it off with an epic double bird and then finally graces us with his absence lol. What a day....

I’ve heard a lot of good ones ... but a curveball being a strike if the batter ducks is going in the Top 5.:rollinglaugh:

I think I would have inadvertently laughed in his face.  Then I would have said, “Oh.  You were serious?!  That’s not how that works.”  (That’s what happened when a coach tried to tell me it shouldn’t be a dropped third strike because his catcher caught the bounce cleanly.  Not a proud moment, but I honestly didn’t believe he could be serious.)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

I’ve heard a lot of good ones ... but a curveball being a strike if the batter ducks is going in the Top 5.:rollinglaugh:

I think I would have inadvertently laughed in his face.  Then I would have said, “Oh.  You were serious?!  That’s not how that works.”  (That’s what happened when a coach tried to tell me it shouldn’t be a dropped third strike because his catcher caught the bounce cleanly.  Not a proud moment, but I honestly didn’t believe he could be serious.)

I have seen and called a strike when the batter ducked but it wasn't 2 feet inside.

17 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

Happened to me Tuesday night. I thought he was joking. 

80% of the beefs I have had are due to lack of rule knowledge.  The usual suspects are Type B instruction, 3-foot lane interference, and ball OOP base awards.

I offer every District in this State a comprehensive rules clinic, and no one has ever taken me up on the offer.

And they ask me why I drink!  :-)

Mike

Las Vegas

• Like 1

On 7/3/2019 at 2:26 PM, The Man in Blue said:

That’s what happened when a coach tried to tell me it shouldn’t be a dropped third strike because his catcher caught the bounce cleanly.  Not a proud moment, but I honestly didn’t believe he could be serious

A myth/belief more common than you think - not as common as "hands are part of the bat" but it's up there - how it is explained and argued is either:

1. The catcher didn't "drop" it

Or 

2. The catcher "caught" it cleanly on the short hop

I can see how one can come to that belief if you've heard all your life that you can run on a "dropped" third strike.

• Like 1

Indeed.  I played through high school.  Grew up eating, sleeping, and breathing baseball.  Coached four kids for more years than I care to count.  Administered a local league for almost 10 years.  Now I have been umpiring for almost 10 years.  I had NEVER heard that until that moment.  And then, strangely, had a softball coach make the same claim a few weeks later!