Sign in to follow this  
Aging_Arbiter

Who's line is it anyway?

Sitch: LL 60' (closed bases) R1/R2 less than 2 outs so IFF in effect.  F3 playing off the bag (not holding runner).  Ball hit, to F3....R1 hesitates (I thought so as NOT to get hit by the ball) and subsequently gets hit by a fair batted ball before it reached the fielder. 2 man system (I'm in C). 

Question:  Is it published anywhere as to WHO should make that call?  I get the whole "grab it if you see it".....or the "who has the best angle" concept.  I just want to know where the responsibility lies, in writing.

While both the plate ump and I came with it at the same time (and fortunately with the same call), we were discussing post game and could not recall who had that responsibility.  I'm just searching for clarification to include in my pre-game.  Something I never really though about before.

I'd argue the primary caller would be the one who is watching the ball. In this case, PU has fair/foul on that grounder near F3, so he should be the one making the call. BU can wait a beat or two before making a call, though I'd suggest glancing back to your partner to make sure he's not giving a "that's nothing" signal before killing it.

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 2:59 PM, yawetag said:

I'd argue the primary caller would be the one who is watching the ball. In this case, PU has fair/foul on that grounder near F3, so he should be the one making the call. BU can wait a beat or two before making a call, though I'd suggest glancing back to your partner to make sure he's not giving a "that's nothing" signal before killing it.

so......are you saying that as a base ump, we shouldn't be "watching the ball"?  Yes, I'm being sarcastic.  I get what you are saying, but the question was, is it published anywhere?  Is it in a mechanics manual?  I get that "every call" is not outlined as to whose responsibility it is, but through those responsibilities in coverage, one draws a logical conclusion.

Agreed, PU has the fair foul call...........Aren't the base runners the BU responsibility at that moment?  (R2 hasn't reached 3rd yet for PU to pick up the touch or tag)

4 hours ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

so......are you saying that as a base ump, we shouldn't be "watching the ball"?

Let me rephrase it, then: "I'd argue the primary caller would be the one whose primary responsibility is the status (fair/foul, catch/no catch) of the ball."

And I'll add as a response to your question: Yes, there are definitely times BU shouldn't be "watching the ball", just as there are times the PU shouldn't be "watching the ball." You are correct, though, that this isn't one of those times. Both should have some sort of visual of the baseball while keeping their primary responsibilities in view as well.

Lastly, to reply to the "is it published anywhere" question. Maybe. But it's such an unusual play that I don't think you'd find it specifically mentioned. You can probably find a mechanics book that deals in a more general statement as I said above. If not, I'll add a "©2019, yawetag. All rights reserved." to the end of it.

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 12:52 PM, yawetag said:

"©2019, yawetag. All rights reserved."

So let it be written...........