Automatic ejections

Phu Bai
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1747 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Am I correct in believing arguing balls and strikes is an automatic ejection, as is arguing a reviewed play, or throwing equipment?
However is pointing to a spot where a batter thinks a ball passed home plate, or drawing a line in the dirt ,

an automatic (by rule) ejection or an umpire not wanting to be "shown up"?

on balls and strikes - technically it is, MLB umpires seem to allow a little rope before they toss someone

pointing to a spot or drawing a line will get you tossed everytime from what I've seen.

OBR - 

Rule 8.02(a) Comment: Players leav ing their position in the field or on base, or managers or coaches leaving the bench or coaches box, to argue on BALLS AND STRIKES will not be permitted. They should be warned if they start for the plate to protest the call. If they continue, they will be ejected from the game.

8.02(c) On a half swing, if the manager comes out to argue with first or third base umpire and if after being warned he persists in arguing, he can be ejected as he is now arguing over a called ball or strike.

I don't like automatics--trust to the umpire's discretion in the circumstances: age and level of play, temperament of how the game has gone to that point, etc. I said in another thread, a useful technique is the "coach, are you going to take care of this or shall I?" approach. I once had a 10 y/o draw a line; I told him if that line did not disappear, he was gone.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Gfoley4 said:

Throwing equipment is not an "autoeject" in MLB, but it does trigger a fine that the umpire will note down. 

It results in the umpire saying to the player, "that's an equipment fine," (the umpire is required to notify the player) which then results, 95% of the time, in the player saying, "F*#K you".  Which then results in an automatic ejection.  ;)

22 hours ago, LRZ said:

I don't like automatics--trust to the umpire's discretion in the circumstances: age and level of play, temperament of how the game has gone to that point, etc. I said in another thread, a useful technique is the "coach, are you going to take care of this or shall I?" approach. I once had a 10 y/o draw a line; I told him if that line did not disappear, he was gone.

So, I assume you ejected him.

How can he disappear?

22 hours ago, LRZ said:

It's ok if you don't like automatics. 

But, you're leaving what you didn't take care of with the automatic to the next umpire to take care of the problem.

If a player/coach draws a line on you, cusses you out, bumps you, etc. and you don't dump them, you're part of the problem.

• Like 2

I took care of it, just without an ejection. It was a 10 y/o, for gods sake, not a teenager or adult. There are lots of ways to address problems, with ejection being just one. I employ it where appropriate.

But ymmv. OK.

BTW, I wasn't clear: he had to erase the line.

6 hours ago, catsbackr said:

So, I assume you ejected him.

How can he disappear?

Threatening to make kids disappear probably wouldn’t go over well ...

If you don’t erase that line, the Curve Ball Troll is going to come up from under your bed and eat you in your sleep!

• Haha 1

On 7/3/2019 at 10:06 AM, LRZ said:

I took care of it, just without an ejection. It was a 10 y/o, for gods sake, not a teenager or adult. There are lots of ways to address problems, with ejection being just one. I employ it where appropriate.

But ymmv. OK.

BTW, I wasn't clear: he had to erase the line.

Yeah, let it go at 10 years old.  Then 12 years old.  By the time he's 16, and still drawing lines, and gets ejected, he can truthfully say he didn't know what he was doing was wrong, because YOU DIDN'T DO YOUR JOB WHEN HE WAS 10!

Do your job!

Thank you for that injunction, but you don't get it. I did not let it go, I dealt with it, in the circumstances at the time and in that game, differently than you would. If that does not meet your standards, block me on arbiter.

• Like 1

Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles, Ronnie Milsaps, Andrea Boccelli etc. could have called that one.

Rather than have the intestinal fortitude to just say one of several terms, words, phrases, etc., and get dumped,  they try to be a weasel and 'infer' the exact same words in other degrading or what some might call negative verbal judo terms, all the while LTFAO if one does not take care of business, and dismiss them.

it is very bad to eject a person that should not be ejected, but it is far worse to not eject a person who should be ejected.   (Al Barlick HOF).

• Like 1