Socks

LRZ
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1728 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Not the most exciting piece of an umpire's equipment, but what's the latest word on durability, comfort and cushioning for socks? Oh, and size/height; personally, I prefer socks that come up to my knee and provide cushioning from the shin guard upper straps.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a huge fan of Darn Tough socks. They are pricey (have a lifetime warranty - free replacements + pay shipping), but are the most comfortable merino, cushioned socks i've found. It seems like their knitting is just tighter/softer than other brands. I prefer the Full-cushion Tactical Hiker Socks (DTT4022 Black) for behind the plate and pair them with Amazon's defender compression tights. 

On Plate, I favor OTC (knee-high, at least) soccer socks, most often Nike soccer socks. They’re usually DriFIT and hold up better than their UnderArmour rivals.

On Bases, I now gravitate to UA Charged Cotton or Nike Dri-Cotton crew socks. I can buy these from an Outlet or budget store (TJMaxx, Ross, Marshall’s, etc) for ~ $10 for a 6-pack. If I use a wicking sock, my feet great terribly dried out and I get cracks and callouses. Cotton, being organic, feels much better, and using the Dri-Cotton variety doesn’t let your feet get all soggy.

21 hours ago, eagle_12 said:

I’ve worn these the past couple years. Knee length, cotton feel but not cotton (can’t stand the polyester soccer sock types). Want to say I got them at Dicks as a two pair pack around $18

https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/ua-over-the-calf-team-socks/pid1270244-100

have almost pulled the trigger on the Gerry Davis ones or the Force3

I picked up the F3's to put me over the free shipping mark on UA, and they've been fantastic. Only complaint (other Ethan the price) is that they could be a little longer. If you want knee length, these aren't the socks for you, but they've held up fantastic (probably 150 games, plus one season of basketball).

I've meant to ask what people use for awhile, because I just don't have enough pairs of socks for umpiring. I'll be interested to see other responses to this thread!

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 10:36 PM, eagle_12 said:

I’ve worn these the past couple years. Knee length, cotton feel but not cotton (can’t stand the polyester soccer sock types). Want to say I got them at Dicks as a two pair pack around $18

https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/ua-over-the-calf-team-socks/pid1270244-100

have almost pulled the trigger on the Gerry Davis ones or the Force3

These are what I wear too. Love them and they're very durable.

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 7:51 AM, yawetag said:

I wear calf-length with tights, whether I'm PU or BU.

Same here over the calf and tights regardless of my position.

Ive worn force 3 socks for a long time and have been happy with no problems.  I picked up a few pairs of the Gerry Davis Ultimate Socks a few weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised with their quality and cushioning (much thicker than the F3 socks).  The GD socks are quite cheaper too.  No experience with any other socks while umpiring.