zoops

Rubbing Mud

Over half of the fields in my area are now turf and it would be nice to have a can of mud to rub up baseballs.  I can't seem to find it carried by any of the retailers I use for my other umpire gear; just a website to order the Lena Blackburne mud directly.  Just curious if anyone else buys this stuff.

Even turf fields have a dirt circle around home plate, no? The dirt around home plate takes the shine off and is much, much cheaper.

1 minute ago, LRZ said:

Even turf fields have a dirt circle around home plate, no?

No such luck, LRZ. 1/3rd the fields in this League here are turf, and only 1 of them has a dirt home plate circle. The others are complete turf, which on a “municipal”, multi-use field makes much more sense. Anything to keep those guys – of any age level – from digging out trenches in the batter’s boxes, and slides plowing out the 3BL.

5 minutes ago, MadMax said:

No such luck, LRZ. 1/3rd the fields in this League here are turf, and only 1 of them has a dirt home plate circle. The others are complete turf, which on a “municipal”, multi-use field makes much more sense. Anything to keep those guys – of any age level – from digging out trenches in the batter’s boxes, and slides plowing out the 3BL.

I've never seen that! How about Plan B: dirt from the pitcher's mound?

And of course watch the video on The Lena Blackburne site of the Phillies umpire clubbie Danny O'Rourke rubbing the baseballs up. As stated, it does not take much.

6 hours ago, LRZ said:

I've never seen that! How about Plan B: dirt from the pitcher's mound?

A lot of turf fields have turf mounds too.  And worse, many are the terrible portable turf mounds.  But even at the D-1 college level, some of the pitcher mounds (especially in the North) are turf.

21 hours ago, Rock Bottom said:

A lot of turf fields have turf mounds too.  And worse, many are the terrible portable turf mounds.  But even at the D-1 college level, some of the pitcher mounds (especially in the North) are turf.

Yep, here in the northern part of the country usually if you go turf, it's to beat the nasty spring weather.  Not much point in having any dirt on the field in that case.  One of the 5 fields I work that have turf has a dirt mount but they are planning to change it to turf as well.  

In all honesty, you’re not going to have enough time to run up baseballs with mud before the game unless you’re getting the baseballs as soon as you show up

It does take some time, especially if you're new to it. Getting the right amount of mud and water, on a consistent basis, takes time to get right. Do a lot, once you get the hang of it. One my former Junior umpires, who recently "retired" from AA ball, gave me a couple of jars, and some good instructions. It's an art to get it just right, but pretty cool. 

• Like 2

my first instruction many years ago was to make sure you apply "LB's" to your palm......and not directly to the ball.........if not you get a mud spot and not the dull finish you want......I still have the remnants of am LB's container in my bag.........great stuff.........although I havent been asked by a league to rub up baseballs in a long time....    

On 6/30/2019 at 7:15 PM, Rock Bottom said:

The only turf fields you find up here in the PNW that have dirt also also minor league parks like Hillsboro and the park at University of Oregon. I dont even believe there is dirt on the field at Oregon State.