lawump

2019 Rule Change Press Release

On 6/27/2019 at 3:53 PM, lawump said:

The DH rule now has three options:

(1) You can start the game with no DH.  If so, you cannot add a DH later. No DH, no worries

(2) You can use the DH option that we have had in FED for the last decade or more. DH terminates when DH plays defense or defensive player only bats in that spot. 

(3) You can have a player start the game as a Defensive Player / DH. DH terminates when DH is substituted

I'm trying to simplify this rule addition. Do I have the above correct:

If this is correct, then this shouldn't be much of a brain teaser

On 6/27/2019 at 4:39 PM, lawump said:

“However, the committee felt it was necessary to make an additional option available to coaches that could be strategic but also maximize participation

On 6/28/2019 at 1:23 PM, lawump said:
On 6/28/2019 at 12:57 PM, Richvee said:

An EH can switch to f4 and an f4  can switch to EH just like an F3 can switch to F2. Simple, and more kids get to play. ( assuming that actually is the goal). 

That was not the primary goal of the entity (coach's association) that pushed for this rule change

So basically the coaches wanted to change the rule so their star pitcher/player can kept hitting even after he pitched without  moving to another  defense position, and FED will spin it

“maximizes participation”  

14 hours ago, grayhawk said:

I do.

Me too. I have only a local sample by which to judge, but I've seen them try to apply the OBR rule in non-HS games, and it ain't pretty.

6 hours ago, Richvee said:

So basically the coaches wanted to change the rule so their star pitcher/player can kept hitting even after he pitched without  moving to another  defense position, and FED will spin it

“maximizes participation”  

I gather the implicit complaint here is that the new FED DH rule will not, in fact, maximize participation (hence the scare quotes), because an EH would maximize participation.

But you need to remember that all maximizing, in any practical context, takes place within constraints. For FED baseball, those constraints include safety above all (not relevant here), but also keeping the rules as "simple" as possible.

Maximizing participation is a third, but it is subordinate to the other two. So yes, FED can reasonably justify the new DH rule as maximizing participation within the constraints of the rest of the rules and the other FED priorities.

I'm trying to think of ways this can be used as a strategical opportunity, other than getting your superstar more AB's after pitching. 

I'm thinking you can use it for your F2 and split the defensive catching duties? 

Can an F2/DH be replaced on defense then re enter on defense without ever coming out of the DH role? 

Can you courtesy run for an F1/DH or F2/DH??  

21 minutes ago, Richvee said:

Can an F2/DH be replaced on defense then re enter on defense without ever coming out of the DH role? 

Can you courtesy run for an F1/DH or F2/DH??  

I would say "yes" to the first, but the "reentry" makes him now just an F2.

I would say "no" to the second.  "F1" isn't batting; the "DH" is batting.

3 hours ago, maven said:

I gather the implicit complaint here is that the new FED DH rule will not, in fact, maximize participation (hence the scare quotes), because an EH would maximize participation.

Actually I could care less about maximizing participation. 

Just don't try to BS me about why the change was made. It has zero to do with maximizing participation, unless we're talking about maximizing the participation of your superstar pitcher/hitter, and just as little to do with adding strategy to the game. 

I get enough of this kind of BS from politicians and upper management when they change policy. I don't need it here too. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Richvee said:

Actually I could care less about maximizing participation. 

Just don't try to BS me about why the change was made. It has zero to do with maximizing participation, unless we're talking about maximizing the participation of your superstar pitcher/hitter, and just as little to do with adding strategy to the game. 

I get enough of this kind of BS from politicians and upper management when they change policy. I don't need it here too. 

Are you okay @Richvee

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Kevin_K said:

Are you okay @Richvee

Two games in the oppressive heat Saturday taking it's toll. 

On 6/29/2019 at 5:25 PM, catsbackr said:

Then why no change?

I refer you to the other thread I started (in the High School section) as to how the NFHS rules writing process works.  

Maximizing participation would mean going to a “bat your roster” rule.  Adding one (or one-half) of a position does not maximize anything.

That said, this doesn’t seem too difficult.  Then again I had 14 games this weekend (in the heat too — feeling your pain Richvee) at a USA Softball tournament that allowed teams to bat the roster, courtesy run with anybody, free defensive substitution, etc ... why not just make the rule “Coach, do whatever the hell you want to do”?  Sadly, that is how many umpires interpret these types of changes and they just quit enforcing anything.  Even with those “rules” this weekend, we had umpires screwing it up ... 

I don't see a problem with the new rule. Very similar to the NCAA, except a defensive player on any position can be his own DH. 

On 6/27/2019 at 4:53 PM, lawump said:

(1) You can start the game with no DH.  If so, you cannot add a DH later. No DH, no worries

(2) You can use the DH option that we have had in FED for the last decade or more. DH terminates when DH plays defense or defensive player only bats in that spot. 

(3) You can have a player start the game as a Defensive Player / DH. DH terminates when DH is substituted

I'm trying to simplify this rule addition. Do I have the above correct:

If this is correct, then this shouldn't be much of a brain teaser

So, is this ^^^ correct?  If so, as Ricka56 said, this shouldn't be that hard.

(1) You can start the game with no DH.  If so, you cannot add a DH later. No DH, no worries

(2) You can use the DH option that we have had in FED for the last decade or more. DH terminates when DH plays defense or the defensive player only bats in that spot. (or his substitute) enters the game on offense.

(3) You can have a player start the game as a Defensive Player / DH. DH terminates when DH is substituted for on offense

Above are my understanding of the rule change.  Of course, I did not write the casebook plays for this new rule...so we could all be back here discussing this in a few months when the casebook comes out.  LOL

I wish they would just follow the NCAA rules but remove the "must be for the pitcher" part of it.  I find NCAA rule to be really easy in the fact you have two lineups, one for offense and one for defense. Batter order can never change. So simple.

This new NFHS rules is going to cause messes once subs start coming in for a guy. Then the games where the coach doesn't call out DH on the card but meant to.  More emphasis needed by us umpires at plate meeting to make sure it gets called out.

Fourteen years of calling high school baseball. I've never had a batter get a hit when a balk was called. At least that I can remember. The old argument of changing the balk rule to match up with other codes is not justified. Best to keep it simple throughout the country. My opinion of course.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forest Ump said:

Fourteen years of calling high school baseball. I've never had a batter get a hit when a balk was called. At least that I can remember. The old argument of changing the balk rule to match up with other codes is not justified. Best to keep it simple throughout the country. My opinion of course.

Had a kid hit what would have been a 3-run homerun on one in a postseason game last year.  A couple base hits in college games this spring.  It's not common but it's not the rarest thing.  

2 hours ago, Forest Ump said:

The old argument of changing the balk rule to match up with other codes is not justified. Best to keep it simple throughout the country.

:Horse:

Just now, lawump said:

south park beat a dead horse GIF

I do that @Aging_Arbiter just because I know you can't see GIF's.  :wacko: