Case Play 2019-4 - Turner's Slide Tackle

When MLB adopted its bona fide slide/interference rule, baseball didn't envision a mid-base sliding tackle like that of Dodgers 3B Justin Turner against Diamondbacks SS Nick Ahmed, in the baseline between first and second base, when Ahmed attempted to tag Turner during a ground ball on the infield....

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Thunderheads said:

that's a take out slide clear as day (watch the leg kick) .....

I don't see why they couldn't have gotten 2 here .....

Leg kick or not, its still IF as its not a Bona Fide slide because R1 didn't reach the base.

1 minute ago, grayhawk said:

To me, this appears to be an attempt to avoid a tag, and was not a slide into a base.  I don't think the bonafide slide rule is relevant here.

No, I don't believe he's avoiding anything ........ IMO........

it's an attempt to slide into and "take out" F6 ....  again, ... notice the leg kick

1 hour ago, grayhawk said:

To me, this appears to be an attempt to avoid a tag, and was not a slide into a base.  I don't think the bonafide slide rule is relevant here.

That's what I see. And there was a tag attempt, rather than an attempt to throw to 1B: that might have prompted an INT call, as he was still the protected fielder. But when he tries to tag R1, we just have a tag attempt and avoidance attempt.

Gentlemen .... please ......  I'm not going to think for a second that I'm more knowledgeable than @maven or @grayhawk ..... but this still shot is from the video just AFTER Turner kicks his leg through what you're calling an avoidance attempt ....this is not by any means an avoidance attempt.   Watch the video from 1:11-1:14 ....

image.png

I'm with @Thunderheads here and would have called the INT myself. Perpendicular to the oncoming fielder and the leg kick are obvious signs.

In these situations, I would think stopping or beginning to return to 1B would be better ways to "break up" the DP.

If we're discussing stills, then here's the one that interests me:

Screen-Shot-2019-06-27-at-3-44-42-PM.png

That's the only contact between runner and fielder. I have a legal slide with contact below the fielder's knee.

After that contact, the runner kicks his leg up in the air. Kicking air is not illegal.

The runner dropped under a tag. The contact was otherwise legal.

What the runner was "trying to do" is moot. What rule prohibits this action, away from the base, with a fielder trying to tag him (not to make a throw to retire another runner)?

55 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

Gentlemen .... please ......  I'm not going to think for a second that I'm more knowledgeable than @maven or @grayhawk ..... but this still shot is from the video just AFTER Turner kicks his leg through what you're calling an avoidance attempt ....this is not by any means an avoidance attempt.   Watch the video from 1:11-1:14 ....

image.png

Leg doesn't come up until he is past the fielder.   He's underneath the fielder here and the leg isn't up. ahmed-turner.png

If we're discussing stills, then here's the one that interests me:
Screen-Shot-2019-06-27-at-3-44-42-PM.png
That's the only contact between runner and fielder. I have a legal slide with contact below the fielder's knee.
After that contact, the runner kicks his leg up in the air. Kicking air is not illegal.
The runner dropped under a tag. The contact was otherwise legal.
What the runner was "trying to do" is moot. What rule prohibits this action, away from the base, with a fielder trying to tag him (not to make a throw to retire another runner)?
The point I'm trying to make is, and I think it was missed.....this is not making an avoidance attempt as much as one may think, but it's a slide and attempt to take out f6. That was my only point ....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

The point I'm trying to make is, and I think it was missed.....this is not making an avoidance attempt as much as one may think, but it's a slide and attempt to take out f6. That was my only point ....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Before the change to collisions at HP, Jim Evans at a clinic said that there was no rule in OBR that prohibited crashing a fielder trying to tag a runner. There still is no rule at bases other than HP. There is reference to slapping and you could judge deviating from the basepath to judge interference. Jim just left that statement up in the air.