Just getting started - Anchorage, Alaska

RBIbaseball
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1746 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Hey, I'm Joe. Been lurking the forums for a week or so.

I have about 10 little league games under my belt. Just started umpiring a few weeks ago. For me it has been something I have wanted to pursue seriously since I was a high schooler. I'm 32 years old, and have been active duty U.S. Army for 11 years now. I finally have the time to start getting my feet wet in umpiring and hope to be ready to umpire high school games proficiently by next year (if not sooner). Ultimately I believe I want to work up to umpire college or professional ball by the time I'm ready to retire from the military.

If you are in the Alaska umpiring scene (or for that matter anyone) and are willing to provide me some mentorship, please send me a PM. The assigner for the games I've done is helpful, but I could definitely use some more direction to get going up here. Also, I have zero gear and local retail up here is virtually zero, so I'm trying to figure out where to start and what to invest in.

- Joe 

Joe, welcome.  First and foremost, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE, SIR!

That's a tall order, and you must be really hooked with only 10 games under your belt wanting to pursue college or professional baseball.  As you know, (or may not) the professional road is a LONG arduous journey and your age may not render you the greatest fit, but I may be wrong.   When I started I thought I wanted to go pro ... my UIC / Mentor told me I should go to pro school but I didn't, and now that I've been umpiring on and off since 1990, I know that choice was a good one, because the pro umpire job is probably the most difficult in pro sports.

Regardless .... push yourself to discover how much you love umpiring, and see where it takes you!

Equipment ... well, ...if you've been browsing/lurking, you may know how valuable the EQUIPMENT FORUM is ....  doing a search there can help you tremendously with TONS of information to sift through!     Being that you're in Alaska .... I'd suggest going online and visiting Ump-Attire.com .... they're the best in the business bar none!

Go to pro school.  At your age you won't get picked.  They won't tell you that, but it's true.  Go to pro school anyways as the amount of info you will learn is incredible.

As far as equipment goes,  I would advise contacting umpattire.com and find out about their delivery options and return policies with regards to Alaska.  If it is favorable, that would be the outfit to go to as they have free returns in the 48.  Let's you try on equipment and clothing and, if it doesn't fit or you're not satisfied with it, then you can return it.  Umpattire is a fantastic company.  Great equipment and the latest umpire clothing.

9 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

Joe, welcome.  First and foremost, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE, SIR!

That's a tall order, and you must be really hooked with only 10 games under your belt wanting to pursue college or professional baseball.  As you know, (or may not) the professional road is a LONG arduous journey and your age may not render you the greatest fit, but I may be wrong.   When I started I thought I wanted to go pro ... my UIC / Mentor told me I should go to pro school but I didn't, and now that I've been umpiring on and off since 1990, I know that choice was a good one, because the pro umpire job is probably the most difficult in pro sports.

Regardless .... push yourself to discover how much you love umpiring, and see where it takes you!

Equipment ... well, ...if you've been browsing/lurking, you may know how valuable the EQUIPMENT FORUM is ....  doing a search there can help you tremendously with TONS of information to sift through!     Being that you're in Alaska .... I'd suggest going online and visiting Ump-Attire.com .... they're the best in the business bar none!

@Thunderheads Thanks sir. The 10 games I've done at LL has only reinforced my passion. I have know it was something that I wanted to do for the longest time and has always been a goal of mine. What has stopped me is constant movement, work hours, and deployments, but I'm in a little more relaxed position now as far as that goes. Professional ball is not the end all be all, as I may find that's not what I want to pursue. But like in my career, I try to set my standards high and then see where I end up.

Thanks for the tips.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...