Ball 4

Guest AE Ump
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1739 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest AE Ump

on a ball 4 pitch that is wild or not caught, and rolls into dead ball territory, is the batter runner held at first or awarded second base?

5 answers to this question

Just now, Thunderheads said:

from the mound  .... (a pitch) ......  1 base.   First base

let's twist that up for S&Gs :D

F2 going after ball contacts the ball causing it to go into DB area, then 2 bases TOP?

ball and F2 are slow moving and BR hustles right out of the box and is on his way to second when ball goes into DB area - (I suspect still 1B TOP)

4 minutes ago, stkjock said:

let's twist that up for S&Gs :D

F2 going after ball contacts the ball causing it to go into DB area, then 2 bases TOP?

ball and F2 are slow moving and BR hustles right out of the box and is on his way to second when ball goes into DB area - (I suspect still 1B TOP)

i believe that would be from the time it went out of play (catcher knocking it out) ...... your scenario in the second statement would be second base (I'm pretty sure)

• Thanks 1

2019 OBR rule 5.06(b)(4)(H) One base, if a ball, pitched to the batter, or thrown by the pitcher from his position on the pitcher’s plate to a base to catch a runner, goes into a stand or a bench, or over or through a field fence or backstop. The ball is dead;

APPROVED RULING: When a wild pitch or passed ball goes through or by the catcher, or deflects off the catcher, and goes directly into the dugout, stands, above the break, or any area where the ball is dead, the awarding of bases shall be one base. One base shall also be awarded if the pitcher while in contact with the rubber, throws to a base, and the throw goes directly into the stands or into any area where the ball is dead.

If, however, the pitched or thrown ball goes through or by the catcher or through the fielder, and remains on the playing field, and is subsequently kicked or deflected into the dugout, stands or other area where the ball is dead, the awarding of bases shall be two bases from position of runners at the time of the pitch or throw.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Guest AE Ump said:

on a ball 4 pitch that is wild or not caught, and rolls into dead ball territory, is the batter runner held at first or awarded second base?

This is a case of two different awards being awarded concurrently.

The award for four pitches called as balls is first base.

The award for a pitch that goes out of play is one base from Time of Pitch - meaning, for the batter/runner, first base.