Sign in to follow this  
scrounge

well, this was a first - obstruction at 1st, home run

Never saw anything close to this before. 17U Pastime tournament, not the highest level of ball but not bad, generally players that either are on varsity teams or will be next year. Infield hit to F5, who would have had an easy out but shorthops it. F3 goes down to try to catch it, it bounces over his arm, and he turns to retrieve the ball now heading for the fence. As he turned to pursue, the B/R runs smack dab into him while attempting to go to 2B, an easy OBS call which both I (BU) and my partner have as he was coming up the line (no one on).

F9 and F3 are close to the ball as the B/R jogs into 2nd. But, inexplicably, they just stop. The runner kind of dances a bit, unsure, we all kind of look around at each other - and the RF and 1B just stand there. Sensing that, the runner takes off for 3rd as the defensive coaches all yell to the players to pick up the ball. They knew it was a live ball, the catcher knew the whole time it was a live ball and was already yelling. But still they stood there. Now, they're actually arguing - not with us, but with their own coaching staff "But he called obstruction!" "GET IT IN!!" "BUT HE CALLED OBSTRUCTION!". They still hadn't picked up the ball when the runner takes from 3rd. Finally, they throw it in but way too late, to the disgust of the coaches and catcher. 

They were still bitching about it when they went in for the inning, but the coach set them straight with a few choice words. 

So I've got:

E6, 2nd on OBS3 (not sure how OBS is scored), 3rd on E3, home on E9?

The OBS is ignored when he advances on his own to the base he would have been awarded. Play on.

I don't know much about scoring, but the fielders don't deserve to be bailed out any on this one.

3 hours ago, yawetag said:

So I've got:

E6, 2nd on OBS3 (not sure how OBS is scored), 3rd on E3, home on E9?

Nope that is simply an E5. No other fielders made a physical error on the play thus it goes down as one simple error.  There is no OBS on the play as nothing was enforced due to the runner advancing.

57 minutes ago, Minnz said:

Nope that is simply an E5. No other fielders made a physical error on the play thus it goes down as one simple error.  There is no OBS on the play as nothing was enforced due to the runner advancing.

Makes sense, but I'd hate to penalize F5 for all three bases, when F3 and F9 are standing there next to the ball.

1 hour ago, yawetag said:

Makes sense, but I'd hate to penalize F5 for all three bases, when F3 and F9 are standing there next to the ball.

Yeah, but on the score sheet it's only one error.  His fielding percentage doesn't change whether the error allows one base or three bases, nor whether the runner ends up scoring or not.

In the advanced metrics/stats of MLB F3 would be penalized in the "defensive runs saved/allowed" and defensive WAR categories....mental errors like this one, or misreading a fly ball, or missing a cutoff man, get tracked there for the big boys.

In my prior days working in a sports information department at a D. II school, this might warrant a "note" in the box score explaining the 3-base error.  It definitely would be explained in the press release accompanying the box score.  But, this is basically a three base throwing error on F5.  

• Like 3

Sounds like a two-base error.  That is scored as a single error against F5 but accounts for the BR reaching 2B.  The additional two bases are scored as fielder's choice.

17 minutes ago, Larry in TN said:

Sounds like a two-base error.  That is scored as a single error against F5 but accounts for the BR reaching 2B.  The additional two bases are scored as fielder's choice.

48998531.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I can picture it. So few kids really get baseball. Unless they watch MLB games on TV, there is no way a part time coach can teach the game in two, one hour per week practices.