Sign in to follow this  
laser

Plate Umpire First Movement Question ~ 2 Ump System

Good morning guys & gals. I'm new here and very green at this umpiring gig. So take it easy on me :)

Runners at 1st & 2nd. I really don't think the number of outs come into play with this scenario ( I could be wrong on that last statement )

Plate Umpires first movement when ball is batted in the air towards right field near the fair and foul line ( Base Ump is in the C position before the pitch )

My question is, should the plate umpire come around the left side of the catcher and hover around the plate area looking down the 1st base line to see if the ball is fair or foul? The reason I ask this question is because I'm looking at some scenarios I found on the web and they are saying the plate umpires first movement is the following:

Plate Umpire  Exit to the left of the catcher and move in Foul Territory toward third base  Keep your eyes on the ball  Make position to judge Fair/Foul, Catch/No Catch  Anticipate a play at third or home plate  Move quickly toward the base where the play is made  Let the ball turn you into the play  Stop… Wait… Call and Signal  Watch the Runner(s) touch base(s)  Assist your partner

I did highlight in blue: Make position to judge Fair/Foul, Catch/No Catch ~ But in the Pic they show, his first movement is toward the the 3rd base in foul territory . I can understand there answer if the ball was smoked down the first baseline or base hit or over the right fielder. But my question is if the ball has some hang time in the air and deep & close to the fair / foul line? I'm hoping common sense is the answer on this one.

Thanks for any help.

Your first responsibility is judging fair/foul.  Tell your partner "I'm on the line!".  Make sure you get a good view - the catcher may initially be in your way.

Since you have a runner in scoring position, make sure you don't get too far away, so you can cover any potential play at the plate.

I definitely clear the catcher and come up the line, to keep him from blocking my view. It's going to be hard enough seeing through F3, who always seems to line up the fair/foul, too. If needed, I might take a step or two fair/foul if the line is clear and F3 is blocking me.

With less than 2 outs, I'm coming up the line as far as I can. With R2 tagging, I should have no problem coming 40-feet or so back to the plate when he's running 180 feet. With two outs, I'm coming up 15-20 feet, as a drop might lead to a play at the plate much sooner. On both, like @ousafe, I'm telling my partner "I'm on the line"

In this situation I clear catcher on his right and straddle the foul line.Keeping in mind i may have a play at the plate.

1 minute ago, smoyer said:

In this situation I clear catcher on his right and straddle the foul line.Keeping in mind i may have a play at the plate.

You should always clear the catcher from the left side. The only time you should be clearing to the right is on a passed ball in which F2 turns to his or her left.

Yawetag (Or anybody) ... any tips on exiting left with a left-handed batter and a catcher who is a bump in the dirt?  I have to admit this is the circumstance where I am almost always guilty of exiting stage-right.  

If I'm getting out of my stance quicker than the catcher, I'll do kinda a "scissor" or side step, starting with the right foot while gaining some ground towards the mound, and turning my body to first. Your first step has to be a little more exaggerated with a lefty batter, with your right foot a couple inches in front of your left foot. This gets you inside the foul line and catcher, and turned so you can run up the line.

Not sure if that makes any sense :P