Colorado Little League Fight

Ty
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1705 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but always nerve racking when its in your own backyard.

From the article, "Police say it started with controversy over a call. A 13-year-old umpire said one of the 7 year old’s batted out of order."

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2019/06/18/video-brawl-little-league-game-lakewood-colorado/

Appalling parental behavior, especially in front of 7 year olds.  How did everyone get "inside the fence"?  Throw the book at them!  Punish Stupidity.

Not that it matters but contrary to the Title this was Not Little League.  Many use the term Little League for youth baseball, in fact, I've heard of Little League Basketball, Little League Soccer, etc...

7 minutes ago, Lou B said:

Appalling parental behavior, especially in front of 7 year olds.  How did everyone get "inside the fence"?  Throw the book at them!  Punish Stupidity.

Not that it matters but contrary to the Title this was Not Little League.  Many use the term Little League for youth baseball, in fact, I've heard of Little League Basketball, Little League Soccer, etc...

It looks like the article changed the language from Little League to youth baseball, sorry for the misrepresentation in the title.

I heard from a coworker who lives in the area that there were also some issues in the game prior to this one, with one of the coaches nearly getting physical with one of the young umpires. Either way, this is a disgrace and will probably push at least one young umpire away from the sport. 

You know as well as I do that every single one of those parents could be identified.  Run the video in slo-mo and have the coaches identify the people on the field and then ban them from that park for life.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ty said:

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but always nerve racking when its in your own backyard.

From the article, "Police say it started with controversy over a call. A 13-year-old umpire said one of the 7 year old’s batted out of order."

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2019/06/18/video-brawl-little-league-game-lakewood-colorado/

Pisses me off that they are singling out the guy with the teal shorts and white shirt.  They ought to be singling out every one of those asses.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, umpstu said:

Pisses me off that they are singling out the guy with the teal shorts and white shirt.  They ought to be singling out every one of those asses.

I presume you didn't read the article:

“These adults took over the field and began assaulting each other on 6/15 during a youth baseball game. We’re looking for any info, in particular to ID the man in the white shirt/teal shorts,” the police department tweeted. “Several people have already been cited in this fight and injuries were reported.”

I'm guessing the unidentified man is the one that hasn't been cited. Later in the article it says he caused "serious injuries".

3 hours ago, yawetag said:

I presume you didn't read the article:

“These adults took over the field and began assaulting each other on 6/15 during a youth baseball game. We’re looking for any info, in particular to ID the man in the white shirt/teal shorts,” the police department tweeted. “Several people have already been cited in this fight and injuries were reported.”

I'm guessing the unidentified man is the one that hasn't been cited. Later in the article it says he caused "serious injuries".

I read the article and stand by my statement.

I am with umpstu.  “Citing” people is BS.  Sorry, I am a zero tolerance guy on things like this.  I don’t know Colorado law, so I don’t what could be charged, but it should be along the lines of mob action or felony assault charges all around.  You took part in a riot at an 8u baseball game in a public park so we are going to give you a $50 disorderly conduct ticket?    :big_no  

States need to enact laws that enhance the charges/penalties for acts like this.

Here’s another opinion ... DO NOT PUT YOUNG INEXPERIENCED UMPIRES in these positions.  They do not learn anything working these games by themselves and the game has so many “special” rules for the age group that they barely learn any proper umpiring skills.  

Then again, I don’t believe in even using umpires for anything below 10u.

You do realize that "citing" means charged with a crime right? And you realize that not all crimes require you to be held in jail, right?

12 minutes ago, The Man in Blue said:

States need to enact laws that enhance the charges/penalties for acts like this.

Are you suggesting some new charge "Assault of another person at a youth sporting event"? I believe "Assault" covers this. These were adults fighting other adults.

Look, I want these parents to be in trouble just as much as the next guy. But I'm not suggesting you throw them in county jail, given a $100k bail, and held because their family can't come up with the bond money. File the charges and let the DA handle it.

These complexes set the tone and allow this to happen. I worked a basketball game last year and coach got in my partners face over a call and was being aggressive. The league president showed up, told the coach to leave, apologized to us and said the coach will never coach in this league again. I asked if he had been a problem and the president said no but I will not allow anyone to treat our refs like that. 

• Like 1

I just received this link/video from Little League that discusses the event.  Note that this was NOT a Little League baseball program!

7 year-olds?  YGTBSM!

Mike

https://www.littleleague.org/university/articles/dont-let-this-happen-two-people-give-face-to-the-worst-in-youth-sports-2/?utm_source=steve keener colorado&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=dlth link

17 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

Then again, I don’t believe in even using umpires for anything below 10u.

This. When I was on the local LL board, I had a T-Ball coach ask why we don't have umpires for T-Ball and Farm League (below Minors) I told him, it was so the coaches could learn how to act like civilized adults on the field. Then when they get to Minors, they are required to umpire, to teach them how to act like civilized adults to a volunteer who may or may not know what they are doing.  

• Like 3

Apparently this is how 'winner's' do, or otherwise you are a 'loser', just like in real life that the kids get to see.

Acts of kindness/fairness in anything all day long,  has no place in the real world, so don't be bashing future generations. 

It starts at the top with the supposed adults showing what a 'real winner' on or off the field in life does, when they do not agree with something/anything. This is how to make it right.

Might makes right is the only lesson being taught here. And the person who whips the others butt with some type of violence is the person who is right in the end and is the winner. The sky is red, no it's blue. Fight, red sky is the winner, therefore the sky is proclaimed red for all eternity, or until the same fight all over again on the exact same issue has a different result.

Yes sir ree  buddy, fine displays of sportsmanship for the kids who hang onto every word and act of their role model parent's at its best here.

Give me a r...r, give me an o....o, give me a l....l, give me an e....e, give me a m....m, give me an o....o, give me a d...d, give me an e....e, give me l..l. What do you got. Role model, what? Role model, what? Role model. Yeeeeh, yippee yi yo kayah.

• Like 1

Recent scoop after above post. (those cited but not arrested)

David Anthony Williams with the Denver Public Works department was out on investigative leave by HR, although it was not positive he was out on leave after the incident or if it was before the incident for some other reason. It will be interesting to see how much companies appreciate their employees bringing this type of unwanted attention on the Company, which can make it "sound like" (perception is reality clause) the companies condone (and companies certainly would not condone) this type of behavior outside of work, unless some kind of clause for bad behavior is in the employment contract.

Let's see if other companies of employment step up for bad publicity brought In the public realm, to the company by the employees off court so to speak bad behaviour, especially in front of some extremely young age impressionable youth.

Others cited include Ernest Gabriel Vigil, David Gerald Garduno, Manual Miramon Garduno, & Manual Miramon Garduno, Jr.

Really, over a 13 year olds call, even if totally incorrect. At this age you got to be kidding me.

17 hours ago, dumbdumb said:

Apparently this is how 'winner's' do, or otherwise you are a 'loser', just like in real life that the kids get to see.

Acts of kindness/fairness in anything all day long,  has no place in the real world, so don't be bashing future generations. 

It starts at the top with the supposed adults showing what a 'real winner' on or off the field in life does, when they do not agree with something/anything. This is how to make it right.

Might makes right is the only lesson being taught here. And the person who whips the others butt with some type of violence is the person who is right in the end and is the winner. The sky is red, no it's blue. Fight, red sky is the winner, therefore the sky is proclaimed red for all eternity, or until the same fight all over again on the exact same issue has a different result.

Yes sir ree  buddy, fine displays of sportsmanship for the kids who hang onto every word and act of their role model parent's at its best here.

Give me a r...r, give me an o....o, give me a l....l, give me an e....e, give me a m....m, give me an o....o, give me a d...d, give me an e....e, give me l..l. What do you got. Role model, what? Role model, what? Role model. Yeeeeh, yippee yi yo kayah.

Let's be real - nobody in this video is splitting the atom any time soon.

Incidents like this start with a whole lotta stupid.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2019 at 9:52 PM, yawetag said:

You do realize that "citing" means charged with a crime right? And you realize that not all crimes require you to be held in jail, right?

Are you suggesting some new charge "Assault of another person at a youth sporting event"? I believe "Assault" covers this. These were adults fighting other adults.

Look, I want these parents to be in trouble just as much as the next guy. But I'm not suggesting you throw them in county jail, given a $100k bail, and held because their family can't come up with the bond money. File the charges and let the DA handle it.

Yawetag, it is very possible (as I referenced) that we are not comparing apples to apples based on differences in state laws and terminology.

That said, if you are “cited” in my area, you are technically charged with something minor such as a local ordinance violation or traffic violation.  You are handed a ticket and told to pay it or appear in court.  I think a physical altercation in a public park at a youth event (to put it mildly) or participating in mob action and causing a riot (to put it at the extreme) should result in an arrest with meaningful criminal charges attached.

As for a criminal enhancer ... yes, I believe there should be a stiffer charge and penalty for people who assault a coach, umpire, other parent, league official, etc. at a youth sporting event.  It is not uncommon for states to add enhancers to criminal charges and penalties if certain factors are present.

update: 12 people cited now from the brawl. all are listed. Apparently there are at least 2 are with the City of Denver. David Williams from an early article, but the 2nd one has not been named/identified. Why? Let's get that Denver employees name out there with David Williams. Don't let David Williams be the only one, if there are 2 or more taking it in the shorts with his name and employer mentioned. Why are they hiding that other person with the City of Denver or giving them a special dispensation? You legal guys know. What does the rule book and case book rules interpretation manual say about that?

https://kdvr.com/2019/06/27/12-people-now-cited-in-brawl-at-youth-baseball-game-in-lakewood/

I've been a fan of getting a court ordered life-long injunction prohibiting these type of individuals from attending any sporting event at any-level.

As for only being able to initially identify and file charges against the others Barney Fife could even do that given the fairly good video. They just don't want to seem to want to put the time and effort into it. 

P.S.  Also disorderly conduct is a pretty light charge. Charge them with things which will effect their employability, then see how things straighten out. 

• Thanks 1