ArchAngel72

I'll Add Balk? ( No pitch actually )

Question

LL rules Major div

R1 situation not that it matters No Balk in this division its a no pitch

pitcher comes to set picks up leg  good balance does not deliver ball hung there for about a 5 count

I was just about to step out and call no pitch but could not decide is his pause of that long a "balk"  thus no pitch

He was not doing it during the game at any other time and I could not see him move or feint at anything else it was like he got to a balance point was amazed with himself and stayed there for a few seconds. Had me laughing inside

He delivered the pitch high for a ball, but I was literally a nano second from stepping out and waving it off.

SO is that pause something he did not do at any other time and or even come close to doing before as part of his delivery a "Balk"

4 answers to this question

LL is very liberal in it's interpretation start/stop illegal pitch in Majors and below.  There are no runners to deceive.  As long as he pitches the ball he's good.  Now if he starts and then completely stops and resets, with runners on, it would be an illegal pitch, ball to the batter, and a pitch added to the pitch count.

9 minutes ago, ArchAngel72 said:

LL rules Major div

R1 situation not that it matters No Balk in this division its a no pitch

pitcher comes to set picks up leg  good balance does not deliver ball hung there for about a 5 count

I was just about to step out and call no pitch but could not decide is his pause of that long a "balk"  thus no pitch

He was not doing it during the game at any other time and I could not see him move or feint at anything else it was like he got to a balance point was amazed with himself and stayed there for a few seconds. Had me laughing inside

He delivered the pitch high for a ball, but I was literally a nano second from stepping out and waving it off.

SO is that pause something he did not do at any other time and or even come close to doing before as part of his delivery a "Balk"

A pitcher's motion can change with every pitch. Most would say, even if he looked like the motion had stopped, something was still moving. HTBT

2018 Little League Rules Instruction Manual

8.05 – With a runner or runners on base, it is an illegal pitch – Major/Minor League [a balk in Intermediate (50-70) Division/Junior/Senior League] when—

(a) the pitcher, while touching the plate, makes any motion naturally associated with the pitch and fails to make such delivery;

INSTRUCTOR COMMENTS:

If the pitcher starts his/her delivery, in any way, and stops, the pitcher has violated the rule. Call a balk or illegal pitch.

And the following case play is from the 2018 Make the Right Call. It is not an exact match to the OP but it is similar--

Rule 8.05(a) Situation:  With runners on first base and second base, in a Junior Division game, the pitcher who is in the set position starts his delivery. He pauses his motion to readjust his feet. RULING:  This is a balk. Once the pitcher begins his motion toward home, he must complete the action in one continuous motion. Award both runners one base. (NOTE:  At the Little League Major division, this is an illegal pitch and the batter would receive a ball on his count provided there are runners on base.)

3 hours ago, Tborze said:

A pitcher's motion can change with every pitch. Most would say, even if he looked like the motion had stopped, something was still moving. HTBT

NCAA would disagree with you. This pitcher sometimes pumps his free foot twice before delivering. NCAA uses the "alteration" word to make that illegal. I don't agree but its their interp.

legal pitch.jpg

illegal pitch.jpg

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.