isired

Pitcher stops windup

Question

So this happened this past weekend 2x, slightly different circumstances, and was called differently.

15u baseball, NFHS ruleset (with no relevant modifications)

Game 1: No runners on. Pitcher starts and then stops motion - re-gripped ball, so I assume that's why he stopped (it was raining all game, the balls were slimy according to my son who pitched later). FU calls "balk" and awards batter a ball. Regardless of whether he called it wrong (shouldn't be called a balk with no runners on I think) - is this the correct call? I thought so, but can't find the relevant NFHS rule for an illegal pitch due to the pitcher stopping his windup.

Game 2: No runners on. PItcher on the rubber facing batter taking signs, our batter takes his hand off the bat and asks for time and it is not granted - I assume because as the batter looked back to the umpire the pitcher had started his windup. Batter quickly puts his hand back on the bat and resumes his stance. Pitcher stops. PU calls nothing.

In this scenario, shouldn't the call be whatever is correct in game 1 scenario above, or, if there is leeway, a warning issued to the pitcher not to stop? We don't see warnings in 15u so he may not have the ability to warn unless he has the right to decide for himself when a warning is the right thing to do (which I would think it probably is here).

10 answers to this question

1) By FED rule, this is an illegal pitch, and a ball.  How strictly it's enforced will depend on the level, the umpire, and the expectations of the league

2) If the batter "caused" the pitcher to stop (umpire judgment), then this is "nothing."  Otherwise, see answer 1.

1) Agree with Noumpere

2) Umpire got this right. The relevant NFHS rule is Rule 6, Section  2, Article 4(d)(1): "If the pitcher, with a runner on base, stops or hesitates in his delivery because the batter steps out of the box (a) with one foot or (b) with both feet or (c) holds up his hand to request “Time,” it shall not be a balk. In (a) and (c), there is no penalty on either the batter or the pitcher. The umpire shall call “Time” and begin play anew. In (b), a strike shall be called on the batter for violation of 7-3-1. In (a), (b) and (c), if the pitcher legally delivers the ball, it shall be called a strike and the ball remains live. Thus, two strikes are called on the batter in (b). If the umpire judges the batter’s action to be a deliberate attempt to create a balk, he will penalize according to 3-3-1o."

1) By FED rule, this is an illegal pitch, and a ball.  How strictly it's enforced will depend on the level, the umpire, and the expectations of the league

2) If the batter "caused" the pitcher to stop (umpire judgment), then this is "nothing."  Otherwise, see answer 1.

Thanks. Can I get a rule citation for #1? I can't find it even with a search of "illegal pitch" in the ebook.

This was a tournament so I think, even given the weather conditions, strict enforcement is probably the norm. Though in the 2nd inning they informed both teams that they would allow 'neighborhood' plays on the bases due to the conditions, which I've never seen before. Grass/dirt infield.

1) Agree with Noumpere
2) Umpire got this right. The relevant NFHS rule is Rule 6, Section  2, Article 4(d)(1): "If the pitcher, with a runner on base, stops or hesitates in his delivery because the batter steps out of the box (a) with one foot or (b) with both feet or © holds up his hand to request “Time,” it shall not be a balk. In (a) and ©, there is no penalty on either the batter or the pitcher. The umpire shall call “Time” and begin play anew. In (b), a strike shall be called on the batter for violation of 7-3-1. In (a), (b) and ©, if the pitcher legally delivers the ball, it shall be called a strike and the ball remains live. Thus, two strikes are called on the batter in (b). If the umpire judges the batter’s action to be a deliberate attempt to create a balk, he will penalize according to 3-3-1o."
No runner on base in either scenario...

24 minutes ago, isired said:

Thanks. Can I get a rule citation for #1? I can't find it even with a search of "illegal pitch" in the ebook.

This was a tournament so I think, even given the weather conditions, strict enforcement is probably the norm. Though in the 2nd inning they informed both teams that they would allow 'neighborhood' plays on the bases due to the conditions, which I've never seen before. Grass/dirt infield.

It’s the blanket penalty for violating any of 6-1-Art 1,2 or 3:

“PENALTY (Art. 1, 2, 3): The ball is dead immediately when an illegal pitch occurs. If there is no runner, a ball is awarded the batter. If there is a runner, such illegal act is a balk. In both situations, the umpire signals dead ball.”

Excerpt From
2016 NFHS Baseball Rules Book
NFHS
https://books.apple.com/us/book/2016-nfhs-baseball-rules-book/id1056121106
This material may be protected by copyright.

OK I get it - I was looking for the rule, not the penalty, and searching terms like "stop" etc. I assume the rule that was broken in my first example was this snippet from 6-1article 2: "After he starts his movement to pitch, he must continue the motion without interruption or alteration."

In my second example, I didn't realize that even though the umpire wouldn't award the batter time out, there is no penalty because pitcher stopped because of the batters action (raising his hand).

Looks like both umpires got it right, good to see.

Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it.

41 minutes ago, Tborze said:

6.1.1,2&3 PENALTY

Off topic. As evidenced in his response your cite did not lure the poster into the casebook but FED rules use dashes and FED casebook plays use periods:)

• Sad 1

Off topic. As evidenced in his response your cite did not lure the poster into the casebook but FED rules use dashes and FED casebook plays use periods
Probably because I don't have the casebook :)

Question:  If a pitcher can drop the ball during his delivery and not be penalized, why is he penalized when he starts his delivery and then just stops for whatever reason?

2019 NFHS Case Book Play 6.1.2 Situation A:  With no runners on base, F1 starts his windup or preliminary motion and the ball slips from his hand. RULING:  There is no infraction provided F1 delivers a pitch within 20 seconds after he received the ball. If F1 fails to do so, the batter is awarded a ball. If there had been a runner or runners on base, dropping the ball while in contact with the pitcher’s plate is a balk if the ball did not cross the foul line. Each base runner shall be awarded one base. 

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.