Batter drops bat and the bat hits the ball on a dropped 3rd strike play ... the ball then roles away from the catcher. Is this interference?

Guest Nik
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1746 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Dropped 3rd strike. 

Batter swings threw and drops the bat on his way to 1st base.

The dropped bat hits the ball on the ground before the catcher can retrieve.

The ball roles away due to the impact with the dropped bat and the hitter reaches 1st safely.

Is this interference?

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

I'll give you the same answer as in this thread from a day or 2 ago with essentially the same question.

I believe it depends on the ruleset. 

OBR says if a batter kicked the ball or otherwise hinders the catcher from fielding a d3K, it is interference and the batter is out.

FED says the act by the batter, such as licking a D3K has to be intentional or it's nothing. 

I'd treat the bat just like the BR kicking the D3K. INT in OBR, nothing unless intentional in FED. 

Rules I read about a bat hitting a ball reference a 'batted ball'.  This is not that unless the missed third strike is also considered a 'batted ball' since the batter has become a runner.  I will also wait for a rule to be quoted but at this point I'd say it's baseball unless the batter intentionally threw the bat at the ball.