CWS PU’s calling pitch location

Scotty_Ump
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1742 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Watching CWS opening games this weekend I noticed every PU would call pitch location on a ball (e.g. “inside”, “outside”). Sometimes the location would completely replace the “ball” call. I haven’t watch NCAA baseball this year and now I’m wondering if calling ball location is an accepted mechanic at that level. I’ve always thought announcing pitch location to everybody instead of simply calling “ball” is a recipe for trouble...

This has been discussed 100s of times (or so it seems) over the past few years.  The action of calling the in-out location has become more acceptable / pronounced.

It can be successful.  It can also blow up.  It is what I was taught; then it was not taught / frowned upon; now it is taught, at least at some levels, again.

I do it in every direction.  I've had D1 and pro guys promote this as preventative officiating.  Hell, you can hear MLB guys doing it when miked up during the postseason. This tells the catcher and the hitter exactly where a pitch is missing, and if need be, the wannabe snipers in the dugout.  If they still question it and I gave where it missed verbally, I'll use the catcher to relay the message for me.  That can make it look like we're working together and I don't have to yell it into a dugout, which I address at the conference prior to every game, "We're not going to be yelling across the diamond at each other."

I say inside and outside a fair amount of the time at a level at which others outside the plate area may be able to hear it, especially close pitches and/or 2 strike pitches. If it's up or down, I'll generally say ball, and might say only to the catcher "that's down" or "that's too low" or "that's up" or the catcher says "up?" and I say "yup".

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Richvee said:

I use it often. I generally don't hear a lot of negative talk about balls/strikes, so I guess it works for me. 

You should let them know you don't have your hearing aids in while you do the plate.:rollinglaugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/16/2019 at 10:54 PM, Scotty_Ump said:

Watching CWS opening games this weekend I noticed every PU would call pitch location on a ball (e.g. “inside”, “outside”). Sometimes the location would completely replace the “ball” call. I haven’t watch NCAA baseball this year and now I’m wondering if calling ball location is an accepted mechanic at that level. I’ve always thought announcing pitch location to everybody instead of simply calling “ball” is a recipe for trouble...

Nope. Widely accepted for many years.

Most umpires will not do it on every pitch, just the ones that require it. 

In some parts of the country we just try to get umpires to verbalize the word "ball" then work from there. 

• Like 1