First EJ of 2019.

MulletUmp
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1749 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

10u softball. VTHC was arguing balls and strikes. Started earlier in the game when I called a borderline strike on his batter just below the armpit he claimed was too high. “That was at the chin!” I told him that was enough. He said “I’ve had enough too.” 

At the end of the game, he told me “you were so unfair to my team, if you were consistent i’d have said nothing. But you didn’t call it both ways.” 

Me: Gone.

VTHC: “Yeah I’m gone. The next time you have my game I’m forfeiting.” 

There was also an incident earlier in the game when one of his parents said the F bomb at one of my calls, and he didn’t do anything. 

Me: Coach, one of your parents said the F bomb.

VTHC:  “I didn’t hear it.”

This parent was right by us. 

The final score was 14-8. 

I mean.. I COULD have ran him for saying “I’ve had enough too.” or groaning at me sending his runner back because the pitcher had the ball was on the rubber earlier. But, he still went at the end, so. 

14 hours ago, MulletUmp said:

I mean.. I COULD have ran him for saying “I’ve had enough too.” or groaning at me sending his runner back because the pitcher had the ball was on the rubber earlier. But, he still went at the end, so. 

That sounds like him expressing his desire to no longer participate. Run him right there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Biscuit said:

That sounds like him expressing his desire to no longer participate. Run him right there.

I gave him too much rope. But it did get handled and anything similar in the future will result in handling it right there.

19 hours ago, MulletUmp said:

10u softball. VTHC was arguing balls and strikes. Started earlier in the game when I called a borderline strike on his batter just below the armpit he claimed was too high. “That was at the chin!” I told him that was enough. He said “I’ve had enough too.” 

At the end of the game, he told me “you were so unfair to my team, if you were consistent i’d have said nothing. But you didn’t call it both ways.” 

There was also an incident earlier in the game when one of his parents said the F bomb at one of my calls, and he didn’t do anything. 

This parent was right by us. 

The final score was 14-8. 

And you're talking to him after the game because...?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grayhawk said:

And you're talking to him after the game because...?

Due to a game ending with a fight in the handshake line last year, we have to observe them now and make sure nothing breaks out. Used to be we could just go home. 

I didn’t say anything to him. I was observing the two teams line it up and then he went on this diatribe at me. 

2 minutes ago, MulletUmp said:

Due to a game ending with a fight in the handshake line last year, we have to observe them now and make sure nothing breaks out. Used to be we could just go home. 

I didn’t say anything to him. I was observing the two teams line it up and then he went on this diatribe at me. 

You have to what?!? That's worse then leagues making us grab the score card...

21 minutes ago, Biscuit said:

You have to what?!? That's worse then leagues making us grab the score card...

I wouldn’t say that’s worse than keeping score, but i feel you on the score card. I did a few games for this league further south of me last year. In that league, not only did I have to keep score, I had to grab both managers at the end of the game to sign the book and name MVP of the game for their team that day. Surprisingly, in spite of taking a fair bit of heat over there during a couple of games, nobody made any remarks like the aforementioned VTHC did when I had them sign the book. They always just shook my hand and said “good game, blue!” after signing. 

Still wish I didn’t let a few of those guys reach that post game conference, though.

22 hours ago, MulletUmp said:

10u softball. 

or groaning at me sending his runner back because the pitcher had the ball was on the rubber earlier.

@MulletUmpCould you have grabbed an out there via the so called "look-back" rule? (Pitcher has ball in the circle, runner must immediately return or advance.)  Your coach would've been an even bigger fan (and the kids would've learned a bit more about the game).

21 hours ago, ousafe said:

@MulletUmpCould you have grabbed an out there via the so called "look-back" rule? (Pitcher has ball in the circle, runner must immediately return or advance.)  Your coach would've been an even bigger fan (and the kids would've learned a bit more about the game).

I thought I heard that rule before. So I should have let the runner go home because they were rounding third? 

8 hours ago, MulletUmp said:

I thought I heard that rule before. So I should have let the runner go home because they were rounding third? 

HTBT for your specific case, but generally in SB the runner can keep running if they don't stop.  Once they stop when the ball is with the pitcher in the circle (and the pitcher is not feinting or trying to make a play on them), then the runner must immediately retreat or advance.  No dancing off the bag like you see in LL.  Also just standing there off the bag isn't "immediate", so could also result in an out call.   Someone more knowledgeable will perhaps correct me, but that's the way it's been taught to me.  Full disclosure - about 5% of my games are softball, so I'm not exactly an authority.

On 6/11/2019 at 8:07 PM, MulletUmp said:

"Thanks for letting me know that you're finished for the day. Enjoy the parking lot."

"I'll be sure to let the league director know about that. He'll be in touch."

"Well, I did. Either you can handle it or I can stop this game and ask the league director to handle it, your choice."

"Thanks for letting me know that you're finished for the day. Enjoy the parking lot."

"Well, I did. Either you can handle it or I can stop this game and ask the league director to handle it, your choice."

"I'll be sure to let the league director know about that. He'll be in touch."

Lmaoooooo you’re an animal

I did let my assignor know about him though. He said: “Well fine, f*** him then.” I wish I could use the crying laughter emote on this forum.