New Equipment Bag

Storm13
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1753 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I am pretty sure someone has asked this before but I could not find it.  What is a good equipment bag to store gear and uniform.  I am tired of using a suitcase for my gear then a bag for my uniform.

I got this before the season started.  I like it works great to hold shin guards, mask, chest protector, 2 cups, one jock, one padded shorts, 3 ball bags, 1 plate sweeper, 4 counters, 4 game jerseys, 3 pairs of pants, 3 jackets, one mask. 4 long sleeve T shirts, 4 short sleeve T shirts, 1 pair of field shoes, 1 pair of plate shoes, 3 red flags. and 2 rules books

Idk where your budget is, but I've ran the gamut on equip bags. The top duffle is great and all and the ump-specific bags are 4/10 imho. I finally bucked up and bought the Ogio Rig 9800. It;s an equipment bag built for Motox. Not a motox-er myself but ho-ly does this bag not exceed every bag I've used before. I've noticed with Demarini, Miz, F3, and Wilson that the zippers bust within 3 years, not enough compartments, not enough room for sprays and/or books, and the bags will tear if you pack it full of balls (oops).

I finally decided to make the jump to the Ogio 9800 and couldn't be happier. Holds the following: 2 masks, 3 pants (all combo), 8 shirts, 2 cp's, 2 sets of shins, all of my sprays (scotch, sunscreen, water repel, odor-x, disinfectant), 6 hats with hat keeper, padfolio, and MiLB NFHS ORB MLB Rule Books, 2 case books, 1 mechanics book, and a mountain of league patches. I'm not a salesman for Ogio, but be damned if I wouldn't be a spokesperson. ONLY issue is the price. You can find it on amazon b/n 240-330, or you can order it from London for around 180 from Birt Bike Bitz.

Hope this helps.

I find I rarely actually use the bag because my equipment is soaked after games so I carry it back and forth into the house and just lay it down in my trunk. Not saying don't get a bag, just that I'm not actually using it as much as I thought I would. 

I've used the Diamond, first the 36" then the 33" for the past 18 years.  I've never had any problem with the zippers and my bag has gone in and out of my truck hundreds of times over the years.  The Diamond is very good.

I did purchase a Wilson about 10 years ago, used it for 6 months, and did experience problems with their zippers.  Went back to the Diamond.

19 hours ago, C'monBlue said:

I finally decided to make the jump to the Ogio 9800 and couldn't be happier.

C'monBlue, I was looking at bags the other night.  The Ogio's popped up.  I liked them and they look very sturdy.  I can't recall the if I was looking the 9800 but I'm pretty sure that the two I saw only had one big compartment.  Can you keep your gear and clothing separate in the 9800?  

My crew is using:

• Fūl Workhorse (mine) – a wheeled split-level duffle that holds everything except shirts/jackets/plate coat. When traveling by air, those wearables are packed in the duffle, but when traveling by road or rail, I keep those wearables in a Stevoy 40” Gusset Garment Travel Bag (best $10 spent on Amazon this year).
  • Diamond 33” Rolling Gear Duffle – my crewmate carries everything in this, including his extensive arsenal of polishing supplies.
  • Wilson Split-level Gear Bag – my other crewmate carries everything he needs in this.

We are able to pack all three of these in the trunk of our crew car (sedan), along with our personal luggage, laundry bags, and a complete cleaning tote for the crew.

Several of my Vultures and colleagues back home favor the Force3 Ultimate Gear Bag. I opted for the Fūl, because like the eBags model, came in at a budget-friendly sub-$100 price tag.

On 6/21/2019 at 8:16 AM, catsbackr said:

The Force3 is small, IMO.

Agree. I have it because it was about all I could get north of the border but it's not big enough to hold my Schutt XV, Force3 shins, mask, and helmet in the top compartment without some serious zipper squishing.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Force 3 and really like it. It's a little smaller than mu old Diamond, but I feel the construction is much better. 

On 6/19/2019 at 9:54 PM, Rock Bottom said:

I find I rarely actually use the bag because my equipment is soaked after games so I carry it back and forth into the house and just lay it down in my trunk. Not saying don't get a bag, just that I'm not actually using it as much as I thought I would. 

I have the same issue. I love the bag going to a game but after I don't want to put my soaking gear in it. It will become rank in a heartbeat. I wish there was a bag that offered adequate ventilation .

• Like 1