Sign in to follow this  
Guest Leprechaun voqch

Foot not touching rubber

Question

Guest Leprechaun voqch

In a 11U game (not that it matters as I believe this is age independent) the RH pitcher steps back with his left foot, then slides his right foot towards first base then back towards third base before stepping towards home for the delivery.  The umpires had no issues with the sliding pivot foot but warned the pitcher to maintain contact with the rubber when pushing off towards home for the pitch. A few pitches later with a runner on third, the pitcher returns to the windup and pitches without contacting the rubber.  Its rules an illegal pitch and a ball is awarded to the batter but the runner stays put.

A. Should this have been a balk for not being in contact with the rubber when delivering the pitch?

B. Should it be an illegal pitch every time the pivot foot slides towards first and back towards third?

Thanks

5 answers to this question

I don't understand what "slides his right foot towards first base then back towards third base before stepping towards home for the delivery" means.

If this is merely repositioning the pivot on the rubber, then it's legal.

If the pivot ends up obviously (more than 2 inches) away from the rubber prior to the pitch, then I'd address it in warmups.

Technically an illegal pitch, and a balk with runners on base. Calling that is a last resort, because the issue may properly be addressed with preventive officiating.

From the 2017 Jaksa/Roder manual (Chapter 16, p. 137):

Windup Position Terminal Stage (Motion to Pitch) (5.07 a Comment)

In the motion to pitch, the pitcher’s…pivot foot may make only one step to become better situated for the pitch (optional) and may not then be reset.

From the 2018 Minor League Baseball Umpire Manual (section 6.19, p. 103): 

A pitcher may not take a second step toward home plate with either foot or otherwise reset his pivot foot in his delivery of the pitch. If there is a runner, or runners, on base it is a balk under Rule 6.02(a); if the bases are unoccupied it is an illegal pitch under Rule 6.02(b).

I agree with Maven and I have myself in LL told pitchers in warmups when I spot that they are not touching the pitchers plate while delivering the pitch that they need to.  At that point I also point it out to the HC as its his job to teach the kid to do that correctly.

Guest Leprechaun Coach
On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 7:57 AM, maven said:

I don't understand what "slides his right foot towards first base then back towards third base before stepping towards home for the delivery" means.

If this is merely repositioning the pivot on the rubber, then it's legal.

If the pivot ends up obviously (more than 2 inches) away from the rubber prior to the pitch, then I'd address it in warmups.

Technically an illegal pitch, and a balk with runners on base. Calling that is a last resort, because the issue may properly be addressed with preventive officiating.

Yes the pivot foot was coming away from the rubber in a slide move more than a step move.

You call it a balk, which would imply the runners move a base.  I was most baffled by the umpires say its simply an illegal pitch and the runners stayed put.

8 hours ago, Guest Leprechaun Coach said:

Yes the pivot foot was coming away from the rubber in a slide move more than a step move.

You call it a balk, which would imply the runners move a base.  I was most baffled by the umpires say its simply an illegal pitch and the runners stayed put.

It might depend on the specific rules code being used (including, for example, whether the runners are allowed to lead off / steal prior to the ball reaching the plate, etc.).  You said "11U", but that's not sufficient.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this