conbo61

It's a bird, it's a plane...

3 minutes ago, Richvee said:

No doubting this....The odd part is, when supply is low, demand high, our rates should be increasing. I,m not seeing that side of the equation. 

We can speak to it in our area anyway...we are working really hard to continue to push our rates. 

That is something we are proud of. 

I know it's not the same everywhere, which is unfortunate. 

8 minutes ago, johnnyg08 said:

We can speak to it in our area anyway...we are working really hard to continue to push our rates. 

That is something we are proud of. 

I know it's not the same everywhere, which is unfortunate. 

But, I suppose that's for a different thread. 

1 hour ago, johnnyg08 said:

It is 100% about the money.

For some people, maybe; for others, this is too simplistic. One's motivation is probably mixed--we enjoy it, we like the money, and we stay involved in a sport we love without the frustration or worry about winning and losing.

I'm comfortably retired and don't need the money (my game fees are what I call "coffee money"), but I like dealing with young people and watching them develop, I like being involved in community sports, and I get a kick out of umpiring for kids whose dads were that age when I umpired for them, ~30 years ago.

1 minute ago, LRZ said:

For some people, maybe; for others, this is too simplistic. One's motivation is probably mixed--we enjoy it, we like the money, and we stay involved in a sport we love without the frustration or worry about winning and losing.

I'm comfortably retired and don't need the money (my game fees are what I call "coffee money"), but I like dealing with young people and watching them develop, I like being involved in community sports, and I get a kick out of umpiring for kids whose dads were that age when I umpired for them, ~30 years ago.

Fair enough. But we all have a breaking point for the amount of BS we would tolerate commensurate with the game fee. 

49 minutes ago, Richvee said:

No doubting this....The odd part is, when supply is low, demand high, our rates should be increasing. I,m not seeing that side of the equation. 

Because there is always someone out there willing to do it for less or do more games... If more people would start saying no to doing 4-5 games in a day for $45-50 a game, then all of the sudden those games become $70 games... 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JSam21 said:

Because there is always someone out there willing to do it for less or do more games... If more people would start saying no to doing 4-5 games in a day for $45-50 a game, then all of the sudden those games become $70 games... 

Yup. I will say that the tides are turning a little bit...but yeah, most of the time, the teams just want a warm body out there as long as that warm body isn't one of them. 

That warm body will do it once, twice, etc...and it works, then they bail on game day when the lake is more appealing than the game for $30

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johnnyg08 said:

Fair enough. But we all have a breaking point for the amount of BS we would tolerate commensurate with the game fee. 

I aagree with you wholeheartedly. There are leagues and levels I will not work for just that reason--too much BS and the money could not possibly justify working them.

3 hours ago, Richvee said:

Come on - anybody can do this.  Ask any coach...