Jump to content
conbo61

It's a bird, it's a plane...

Recommended Posts

Its @Scott K!!!!!!!!

At least it sure looks like him.

Working 2B at the UCLA/Michigan Super Regional on Friday.

 

20190609_103125.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, johnnyg08 said:

It looked like him at 1B last night. 

If they rotate normally, that should put him on the plate tonight!!

And they just announced him....

ESPN News network.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been watching this series. It's been outstanding. @Scott K was nails at 1B last night and he's killing it behind the plate tonight. Awesome call at the plate in the top 4th. Way to go, brother. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Richvee said:

I've been watching this series. It's been outstanding. @Scott K was nails at 1B last night and he's killing it behind the plate tonight. Awesome call at the plate in the top 4th. Way to go, brother. 

He had 2 reviewed WHACKERS at first on Saturday night and nailed them both

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Late in the game there was a 2 strike pitch just off the outside edge. The announcer comes out with a "where was that?" line we've all heard too often...They play a replay and the guy sheepishly says something like , "Nevermind, that's outside. Scott's having a great night behind the pate." :beerbang:rock

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

Next Stop............OMAHA!?!

good question, when are the CWS assignments handed out/released (I'm sure they've been decided!)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

good question, when are the CWS assignments handed out/released (I'm sure they've been decided!)

Not this year. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

good question, when are the CWS assignments handed out/released (I'm sure they've been decided!)

Memos have come out on arbiter for the regionals and supers Tuesday the week of. I’m guessing we’ll see the CWS memo soon. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They were announced on May 20th.  Here they are:

Screen Shot 2019-06-10 at 8.25.33 AM.png

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the NCAA may be similar to MLB in that an umpire does not work two  consecutive rounds.

If that is the case, he certainly demonstrated that he is more than capable, and richly deserving of, the big stage.

KENNEDY - OMAHA 2020!!!!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, conbo61 said:

I think the NCAA may be similar to MLB in that an umpire does not work two  consecutive rounds.

That might be true for D1, but I know it is not the case for D2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, conbo61 said:

I think the NCAA may be similar to MLB in that an umpire does not work two  consecutive rounds.

If that is the case, he certainly demonstrated that he is more than capable, and richly deserving of, the big stage.

KENNEDY - OMAHA 2020!!!!

Believe you are correct as far as the CWS guys go. They cannot work back to back i.e. Super and then CWS. They work a Regional first, rest for the SR and then work CWS, just like MLBU works a Divisional first, rest for the League Championships and then work WS.

However, you can work a Regional and Super Regional back to back, but that means no CWS.

They have taken away the previous suggestion that NCAA guys only work a CWS once every three years. You can now work back to back CWS, and maybe even every year. 5 guys worked the CWS in 2018. Costello, Haze (alternate), Henrichs, Savage (Alternate), Coskey (alternate this year).

On another note as I mentioned last year. Only 3 (it looks like Grady Smith (taking Chambers place from last year so to speak)  Coskey  and Savage again, (who only started umpiring for one reason from an article, not from love of umpiring, "he decided to give officiating a shot, for one simple reason -- financial gain", although if you can umpire, the reason to umpire doesn't matter one iota) have never worked pro ball. I would have expected at least a 5/6 split or a 6/5 split. It just cannot be that Chambers, Coskey, and Savage and now Smith are the only non MiLB and maybe even no umpire school, that can work the CWS. There are people and supervisors out scouting and mentoring. There should be more non pro ball guys that are qualified or they are not being mentored and instructed properly.

They have been going to the Mid-American umpire camps that are mentioned on this site and others, along with toiling away for 10-15 years with NCAA D1 Conference games and the Tournament at the end. They should be just as qualified after years of camps, clinics and seasons of games (has to be at least be 35 if I remember right to be eligible for post season to begin with) for Regionals, SR, and CWS.

If not, once again, the mentors are not taking care of business on their end.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2019 at 10:47 PM, Richvee said:

I've been watching this series. It's been outstanding. @Scott K was nails at 1B last night and he's killing it behind the plate tonight. Awesome call at the plate in the top 4th. Way to go, brother. 

THANK YOU! I apologize for the delay & I’m trying to get better at being active on this site. I was having login issues for a LONG time, but Warren has been a great help.

Again, thank you for the comments.

SK

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2019 at 7:27 AM, Thunderheads said:

He had 2 reviewed WHACKERS at first on Saturday night and nailed them both

Thank you! It’s definitely a lot tougher making judgement calls within a split second. When you go to review, our hearts are thumping with nerves because we WANT to get ALL of them right.

Thanks again!

SK

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2019 at 8:35 AM, Richvee said:

Late in the game there was a 2 strike pitch just off the outside edge. The announcer comes out with a "where was that?" line we've all heard too often...They play a replay and the guy sheepishly says something like , "Nevermind, that's outside. Scott's having a great night behind the pate." :beerbang:rock

Thanks! Again, sorry for the delayed reply. 

Media is part of it, but so is the human element. I actually go back and watch my games again bc I’m my toughest critic. 

A lot of times, if media thinks I’ve missed a pitch in the little square, I may have thought it was a good pitch until the “presentation” is animated to show me he’s trying to fool me because he thought it was not a strike. His job is to make it look good; most do a great job at catching “strikes” and throwing back the “balls.”

I don’t want to be a play by play guy and no medi person wants to umpire for 3.5 hrs in front of 10k-15k each weekend like the SEC. It’s not easy.

SK

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2019 at 10:18 AM, Thunderheads said:

good question, when are the CWS assignments handed out/released (I'm sure they've been decided!)

It all comes out at once. If you’re picked to work the CWS, you’ll only work the regional...not the supers. They give you the break that weekend.

SK

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2019 at 10:41 AM, johnnyg08 said:

Not this year. 

Just kidding! Not sad....I’ve been umpiring the same hustle and dedication since 2008 when I broke in. I do not worry about the things beyond my control & just happy to be selected to work the post season as a crew chief.

Head up, mouth shut and eyes on the next pitch or play, right?

SK

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2019 at 11:59 PM, dumbdumb said:

Believe you are correct as far as the CWS guys go. They cannot work back to back i.e. Super and then CWS. They work a Regional first, rest for the SR and then work CWS, just like MLBU works a Divisional first, rest for the League Championships and then work WS.

However, you can work a Regional and Super Regional back to back, but that means no CWS.

They have taken away the previous suggestion that NCAA guys only work a CWS once every three years. You can now work back to back CWS, and maybe even every year. 5 guys worked the CWS in 2018. Costello, Haze (alternate), Henrichs, Savage (Alternate), Coskey (alternate this year).

On another note as I mentioned last year. Only 3 (it looks like Grady Smith (taking Chambers place from last year so to speak)  Coskey  and Savage again, (who only started umpiring for one reason from an article, not from love of umpiring, "he decided to give officiating a shot, for one simple reason -- financial gain", although if you can umpire, the reason to umpire doesn't matter one iota) have never worked pro ball. I would have expected at least a 5/6 split or a 6/5 split. It just cannot be that Chambers, Coskey, and Savage and now Smith are the only non MiLB and maybe even no umpire school, that can work the CWS. There are people and supervisors out scouting and mentoring. There should be more non pro ball guys that are qualified or they are not being mentored and instructed properly.

They have been going to the Mid-American umpire camps that are mentioned on this site and others, along with toiling away for 10-15 years with NCAA D1 Conference games and the Tournament at the end. They should be just as qualified after years of camps, clinics and seasons of games (has to be at least be 35 if I remember right to be eligible for post season to begin with) for Regionals, SR, and CWS.

If not, once again, the mentors are not taking care of business on their end.

I’m 50/50 with you on this. I agree & disagree but that’s just my humble opinion.

SK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Scott K said:

Just kidding! Not sad....I’ve been umpiring the same hustle and dedication since 2008 when I broke in. I do not worry about the things beyond my control & just happy to be selected to work the post season as a crew chief.

Head up, mouth shut and eyes on the next pitch or play, right?

SK

Got that right!! Great postseason this year! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...