Jump to content
Gil

MLB Ejection 075 - Bruce Dreckman (3; Ned Yost)

Recommended Posts

HP Umpire Bruce Dreckman ejected Royals Manager Ned Yost (strike one call; QOCY) in the bottom of the 6th inning of the White Sox-Royals game. With none out and one on (R1), Royals batter Alex Gordon took a first-pitch fastball from White Sox pitcher Lucas Giolito for a called first strike. Replays...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So do want robot umpires or not? Probably should have been called a ball based on how it was received. Didn’t watch the catcher catch the ball - he didn’t think it was a strike, certainly. 

However, the call was correct. Robot would have had the same thing. Then you would have been OK with it? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Thatsnotyou said:

So do want robot umpires or not? Probably should have been called a ball based on how it was received. Didn’t watch the catcher catch the ball - he didn’t think it was a strike, certainly. 

However, the call was correct. Robot would have had the same thing. Then you would have been OK with it? 

This bugs me ... can you show me any citation in any rule book that defines a strike by the catcher’s actions?

Here is my proposal — the problem isn’t umpires, it’s pitchers that can’t throw strikes every single pitch.  We should replace the pitchers with pitching machines.  :D

By the way Gil — great podcast on the fallacies of robo-strike systems!  Not only did you reveal many of the systemic issues, but there were some great revelations about the people and motivations (or lack of) behind those efforts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

This bugs me ... can you show me any citation in any rule book that defines a strike by the catcher’s actions?

Here is my proposal — the problem isn’t umpires, it’s pitchers that can’t throw strikes every single pitch.  We should replace the pitchers with pitching machines.  :D

By the way Gil — great podcast on the fallacies of robo-strike systems!  Not only did you reveal many of the systemic issues, but there were some great revelations about the people and motivations (or lack of) behind those efforts.

I can show you “how to survive being a varsity umpire and perception is reality”.

Is that a good enough citation? Sorry, don’t know the rule number offhand.

If you don’t think receiving matters, I don’t know what to tell you. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Thatsnotyou said:

I can show you “how to survive being a varsity umpire and perception is reality”.

Is that a good enough citation? Sorry, don’t know the rule number offhand.

If you don’t think receiving matters, I don’t know what to tell you. 

I will definitely say we are going to agree to disagree on this one.  In my opinion, this just perpetuates the crap that we have to endure as umpires.  “Yes, it was a strike by every version of the rule and every definition of a strike ... but this goofy catcher dropped it so I’m going to look bad if I call it.”  Now the coach believes every dropped ball cannot be a strike.  And yes, I’ve had that discussion with coaches.

What is next?  “Coach, I know it was close and your runner beat the throw.  However, fat kids don’t look like they can run that fast so we’re going to call him safe so I don’t look bad.”  :sarcasm:

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll put it this way. Working HS varsity games, I've been known to call a strike on an uncaught pitch. BUT if it's close and the catcher drops it, no way. I pretty much go from "ball touches any part of the zone" to "3/4 of the ball is in the zone" on an uncaught pitch.

I do have one coach in the area who will make his catcher say "thank you" if you call a strike on an uncaught pitch. Makes me smile every time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...