Question about umpire masks

yannick
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1701 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Hi everyone, i am looking to upgrade my mask. I currently own the champro drigear hollow wire mask(18 ounces) as a initiation mask but i'm calling higher leagues so i might want to upgrade to a stronger mask. I am concerned about weight though, i would like to get a strong but light mask. I've been looking at the allstar black magnesium mask(17.3 ounces). To be honest i'm not really sure what material is strongest. Magnesium, titanium, steel. Money is not really the issue. Just need some advice from you guys when it comes to material and fitting

Thanks in advance.

Yannick

Magnesium won’t bend. Titanium can bend, but takes longer or enormous force. Steel is easiest to bend.

I have had all three.  You feel the hits a lot more in a super light mask. The trick is to make sure you have good pads!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, wolfe_man said:

Magnesium won’t bend. Titanium can bend, but takes longer or enormous force. Steel is easiest to bend.

I have had all three.  You feel the hits a lot more in a super light mask. The trick is to make sure you have good pads!

Ok so in your opinion having had the 3 types of material what would you recommend? titanium or magnesium? For example the wilson titanium mask or the magnesium allstar one i mentioned earlier? 

What about the pads?

thx

@yannick

I have moved this post to the Umpire equipment for him. Once you find this post go up to the upper right corner and hit the search drop down and put in anything you are looking for. After that click on search this forum only. You should find hundreds and hundreds of posts regarding opinions about masks. You will be busy all day long reading, tons of great information! Good luck!

By the way I have the All-Star magnesium and love it

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Thunderheads said:

@yannick

I have moved this post to the Umpire equipment for him. Once you find this post go up to the upper right corner and hit the search drop down and put in anything you are looking for. After that click on search this forum only. You should find hundreds and hundreds of posts regarding opinions about masks. You will be busy all day long reading, tons of great information! Good luck!

By the way I have the All-Star magnesium and love it

Ah, thank you very much. I am new to the forum so didn't exactly find where to ask my question at first. Thx for the help. Will have a look at the topics because mask are expensive so when i upgrade i immediatly want it to be a good one.

Totally understood! I'm glad you took my response the proper way because I wasn't trying to be a jerk, there is just so much information on this form regarding every piece of equipment it's mind-boggling! LOL

A lot of the masks that you will read about are all good and remember equipment is a personal preference

Some guys only use Wilson stuff, others mix and match but you will find one common thread through all of the information on the masks and that is to make sure you have quality pads on them! That is your key, way more so than the mask itself

1 minute ago, Thunderheads said:

Totally understood! I'm glad you took my response the proper way because I wasn't trying to be a jerk, there is just so much information on this form regarding every piece of equipment it's mind-boggling! LOL

A lot of the masks that you will read about are all good and remember equipment is a personal preference

Some guys only use Wilson stuff, others mix and match but you will find one common thread through all of the information on the masks and that is to make sure you have quality pads on them! That is your key, way more so than the mask itself

Yh i'm looking into the equipment forum and there is ALOT of info haha. I can tell pads are important, so i'll have to read up on them. It is especially important for me to get the right mask and pads from the 1st time as i live in spain and ordering decent masks is hard so i have to get them in the us. And if i have to return items it's a massive hassle. 

I understand most guys buy the pads separate because most standard pads arent the best one unless you get your mask at honigs which inckudes the team wendy pads that seem to be pretty good. 

@yannick since you live in Spain and getting stuff there will likely be a hassle, here are some masks that come with decent stock pads:

- Diamond BigLeague-UMP (Leather)

- Wilson Aluminum (Memory Foam or Wrap-Around Leather)

- Honigs Mask (Leather or Fabric Pads)

- All-Star FM4000MAGnesium (Solid All-Star LUC pads)

- All-Star FM4000UMP (All-Star LUC pads)

Now, personally, if I were you, I would get a cheap aluminum mask, such as a Diamond iX3 or a Champro Pro-Plus, and get a set of Team Wendy pads. I suggest aluminum, because the frame is almost guaranteed to never break or bend. That way you won't have to worry about the frame getting messed up and needing to get a new one.

-BR

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BlueRanger said:

@yannick since you live in Spain and getting stuff there will likely be a hassle, here are some masks that come with decent stock pads:

Now, personally, if I were you, I would get a cheap aluminum mask, such as a Diamond iX3 or a Champro Pro-Plus, and get a set of Team Wendy pads. I suggest aluminum, because the frame is almost guaranteed to never break or bend. That way you won't have to worry about the frame getting messed up and needing to get a new one.

-BR

Hi Blueranger. Thx for the reply. Well, my brother in law lives in Houston and comes to Spain every year so if i need anything i order it and he brings it over. At the momrnt i'm leaning towards the wilson dyna-lite aluminum mask with extra team wendy pads. I have checked the all star mask out but it's too sturdy for my liking. The diamond bigleague mask looks good aswell although i like wilson. I am abit worried about the weight though but aluminum aint that heavy either i suppose. Its just i have the follow wire frame at the moment which weighs practically nothing.

Yannick

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlueRanger said:

-BR

There is virtually no difference expect in the finish between the Diamond Big League UMP and iX3 masks. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/9/2019 at 1:41 PM, BlueRanger said:

@yannick 

-BR

+1 on this advice.  If you can find a cheap All Star FM-25, that's a good combo with TW pads as a safe and reliable starter mask.  Hell I wore this rig for almost 10 years.

9 hours ago, FranklinT said:

+1 on this advice.  If you can find a cheap All Star FM-25, that's a good combo with TW pads as a safe and reliable starter mask.  Hell I wore this rig for almost 10 years.

Thanks guys. I'm currently leaning towards the wilson dyna-lite aluminum mask and, indeed, adding the TW pads. 

Thanks for your advice, i appreciate it!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Umpire in Chief said:

This is what I use and I really like it. I still use the stock pads which are okay.  But I love the TW pads. 

yh it looks awsome but after consideration i'm also leaning towards the aluminum diamond big league mask with TW pads. For the simple reason: weight. I have an extremely light mask at the moment and i'm not a big guy so i'm a little worried that i'll have trouble with the weight increase. The wilson i think is about 580 grams (1.3 pounds) and the diamond mask 1 pound (nearly the same as what i have now). Any opinions on the diamond big league mask?

Ty

• Like 1

6 hours ago, yannick said:

yh it looks awsome but after consideration i'm also leaning towards the aluminum diamond big league mask with TW pads. For the simple reason: weight. I have an extremely light mask at the moment and i'm not a big guy so i'm a little worried that i'll have trouble with the weight increase. The wilson i think is about 580 grams (1.3 pounds) and the diamond mask 1 pound (nearly the same as what i have now). Any opinions on the diamond big league mask?

Ty

If you want light, inexpensive, and great sight-lines, consider the +POS ZRO-G mask with TW pads. You can order just the mask, or for 20 extra bucks get a solid harness and fine cold weather pads (their cool mesh pads seem almost identical to the All-Star LUC pads from what I can tell).

• Like 1

Light is relative. You will notice not having the extra ounce or 2, but you do notice it when it's not there. I did the first 10+ years with the original hollow tube stee Wilson Dyna-Lite mask, which by today's standards is anything but lite. 

On 7/9/2019 at 6:26 AM, Ty said:

If you want light, inexpensive, and great sight-lines, consider the +POS ZRO-G mask with TW pads. You can order just the mask, or for 20 extra bucks get a solid harness and fine cold weather pads (their cool mesh pads seem almost identical to the All-Star LUC pads from what I can tell).

You just need to order in advance. Dont expect it to get to you in a reasonable amount of time.

On 7/8/2019 at 11:40 PM, yannick said:

Ty

I have a Diamond mask that I cut the extension off of a few years back. We can negotiate. But I can do the mask, TW pads, and a throat guard if you want to try and work out a deal.

• 3 weeks later...

My POS which I loved got bent on and the weld popped from a foul ball this season. Went back to my diamond with Wilson pads (use both memory foams and tan leather). Have the chin extension removed and a Zett throat guard. It is my favorite setup. Sort of a poor man’s Mizuno set up. It is really light and comfortable. 

Happen to be watching the braves game right now and Iassogna is wearing his mizuno with tan pads. For those who have both, how does mizuno compare to the diamond? Is it worth getting the real thing?