Is this a Catch?

layers73
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1758 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

This is the same game as my previous post on the Squeeze bunt where the batter was called out of box.

for this one im curious if you would consider this a completed catch?

this is a game highlight video so fast forward to 1:22 - batter hits a soft sinking fly to shallow CF - did the CF complete that catch?   what would you call that?

Play in Question begins at 1:22

Also just in case you didn't see the other tread  - the controversial call on the Squeeze is at 1:58 (normal speed) and  2:25 (slow motion)  

20 answers to this question

The catch is close: but I agree with the call on the field (which was made too quickly and then had to be sold, IMO).

We're looking for 2 things: secure possession and voluntary release. I'm OK ruling secure possession here: the ball is gloved just above the ground, and the fielder brings it up in his glove to his throwing hand before it pops out.

Voluntary release is more controversial, and some might judge that this release was not voluntary. But the key for me is that the ball pops out toward his throwing hand, sideways. An involuntary release would come out in the direction the glove is moving, in this case, upward.

So I'd say 'catch' is supportable based on the video.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, maven said:

The catch is close: but I agree with the call on the field (which was made too quickly and then had to be sold, IMO).

RE: Too quickly.

I definitely agree. BU's hand was raised before the ball even came out. This is a textbook situation where you can't make any judgment on catch/no catch until that ball's out of the glove.

1 hour ago, Rich Ives said:

Who chose those jerseys?

The left handed catcher.

This is the caliber of umpire NJ puts on its state semifinal games. 

Here is another interesting call that took place yesterday in the Garden State. Nothing like being in position to make a call and purposefully moving to a spot where it is nearly impossible to see tag and base at the same time.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Here are some guidelines from JEA (I did not copy the entire appendix on this):

If an outfielder gets possession of a fly ball and attempts to "flip it" to his throwing hand
immediately, he had better catch that ball or I'm ruling "no catch." Though he will argue that the flip was
an intentional release, he has not given himself the benefit of the doubt and will not get the call from me.
If this same play happens for the third out and he flips the ball on his trek en route from the field and
fails to catch it, this will be ruled a catch.
Anytime a player makes a diving attempt...a shoestring effort...or has to run at an accelerated pace to
get to a fly ball, you should make sure the fielder gets full control of his body before you make your
decision. Once he gets control, the other guidelines apply.

3 hours ago, noumpere said:

Here are some guidelines from JEA (I did not copy the entire appendix on this):

If an outfielder gets possession of a fly ball and attempts to "flip it" to his throwing hand
immediately, he had better catch that ball or I'm ruling "no catch." Though he will argue that the flip was
an intentional release, he has not given himself the benefit of the doubt and will not get the call from me.
If this same play happens for the third out and he flips the ball on his trek en route from the field and
fails to catch it, this will be ruled a catch.
Anytime a player makes a diving attempt...a shoestring effort...or has to run at an accelerated pace to
get to a fly ball, you should make sure the fielder gets full control of his body before you make your
decision. Once he gets control, the other guidelines apply.

Jim must not have played much. :)

29 minutes ago, Rich Ives said:

I had left handed catchers in LL.. I've see college softball teams with left handed catchers.   The RH BS is way overrated.

That's not a left handed catcher.  It's a unicorn.

On 6/4/2019 at 8:25 AM, noumpere said:

I have "no catch" -- but I agree with "it's close" and "too quickly."

I’m with noumpere.  I’ve got no catch.

It doesn’t look like a “flip” to me.  It looks like he is reaching for a ball that is moving out of his glove (this not secured) but he doesn’t realize it.  I want to see a ball grasped before I’m giving you the benefit of the transfer.  There was no grasp there.

On a tangent ... what the heck is it with this team?!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Kevin_K said:

The left handed catcher.

Here is another interesting call that took place yesterday in the Garden State. Nothing like being in position to make a call and purposefully moving to a spot where it is nearly impossible to see tag and base at the same time.

That's...that's not the best mechanics I've ever seen. Why is he running so hard to get to...I don't know where? He's also calling it while moving at a pretty good clip. We can't tell if he got the call right or not, certainly, but the mechanics look weird.

On 6/4/2019 at 5:11 PM, Kevin_K said:

The left handed catcher.

The beat goes on. 

On 6/4/2019 at 11:32 PM, Matt said:

No, it's not. It puts F2 at a disadvantage for steals. That's why you've seen it in softball, but not baseball.

Actually, the disadvantage is more from reaching across one's body on swipe tags.

No catch.  On a snowcone grab like this, anything that comes out following without 100% secure possession is going to be no catch. The ball was out before the hand reached the glove.  IMOP this was not a flip.  Poor timing.

On 6/4/2019 at 7:46 PM, Rich Ives said:

I had left handed catchers in LL.. I've see college softball teams with left handed catchers.   The RH BS is way overrated.

Yup - it's a little odd looking but I never had a problem with it.  They are at a bit of a disadvantage catching R2 stealing, but at an advantage picking off R1 at first.    Frankly, the bigger challenge is finding left handed catcher's gloves and chest pads..

I have a much bigger problem with seeing left-handed F4, F5 and F6 in any competitive setting.

• Like 1