Dotteump

Coaches you have thrown several times

I had a coach a few years back that I ejected 4 times in two years. 

First time I ejected was in a community rec league. I umped there as a fill in only as a favor to the sports director. It is 12U I am PU, his team is up by 10. Full count and kid throws kind of a rainbow pitch but hits the bottom of the zone so I punch him out. He going crazy. His own coaches are telling him to stop but nope. First pitch next inning ball and I hear “ball you are raping us blue” nope you are done. 

Ejection 2

next season he is now HC at the park I work at 90% of the time. It is now 14U and I again am plate. His team is down 1 base hit and his son comes sliding into home, catcher gets ballon first base side and swings to the right for the tag. He hits runner square in the mouth with the tag and bust his lip open. I call him out because he for some reason had his leg off the ground and never hit the plate. He comes running out screaming at me (his own parents were saying he was out) before I can explain he says my kids is hurt and this is your fault you POS!!! Bye coach. 

Ejection 3

Same year plate meeting he says hope your zone is better and you don’t get my kid hurt again. I say coach choose your words wisely and let the past be the past. He says then stop being a horrible fu*king UMP and I will let it go....there is the parking lot

Ejection 4

I pick up a tournament game 30 miles away cause they pay good. Get to the park and as I am walking to the field I see him and his team on the field. Go back explain to the TD the history I have and suggested he trade me to another field. TD says cant do it but I will have UIC come watch your game. I am PU and just had a feeling this was not going to be good. He sees me and yells out you gotta be f-ing kidding me. We get started and mild chirping from him but I ignore. 4th inning his team is in the field tie game. His son is now the catcher and I am actually happy cause he is good at it and was tired of getting hit. I call ball 4 inside, his dad screams where was that and catcher holds the ball over the plate and says it was a strike UMP is screwing us again. I again don’t wanna eject so I say catch it’s enough play ball and he says then stop screwing us over and do your job....yeah your gone. Well here comes dad throwing F bombs so he is gone for number 4. Parents after the game apologized for coach and said they were finding a new team next season. Never saw him again. I heard he went to different league the next season and got banned. 

14 minutes ago, Dotteump said:

I had a coach a few years back that I ejected 4 times in two years. 

First time I ejected was in a community rec league. I umped there as a fill in only as a favor to the sports director. It is 12U I am PU, his team is up by 10. Full count and kid throws kind of a rainbow pitch but hits the bottom of the zone so I punch him out. He going crazy. His own coaches are telling him to stop but nope. First pitch next inning ball and I hear “ball you are raping us blue” nope you are done. Good so far...

Ejection 2

next season he is now HC at the park I work at 90% of the time. It is now 14U and I again am plate. His team is down 1 base hit and his son comes sliding into home, catcher gets ballon first base side and swings to the right for the tag. He hits runner square in the mouth with the tag and bust his lip open. I call him out because he for some reason had his leg off the ground and never hit the plate. He comes running out screaming at me (his own parents were saying he was out) before I can explain Don't start a conversation. You don't know why a coach is coming out. he says my kids is hurt and this is your fault you POS!!! Bye coach. Yup...

Ejection 3

Same year plate meeting he says hope your zone is better and you don’t get my kid hurt again. Should have tossed him here. I say coach choose your words wisely and let the past be the past. He says then stop being a horrible fu*king UMP and I will let it go....there is the parking lot

Ejection 4

I pick up a tournament game 30 miles away cause they pay good. Get to the park and as I am walking to the field I see him and his team on the field. Go back explain to the TD the history I have and suggested he trade me to another field. No...don't ever switch because a coach has problems with you. That just rewards them. TD says cant do it but I will have UIC come watch your game. I am PU and just had a feeling this was not going to be good. He sees me and yells out you gotta be f-ing kidding me. Kid's ball? He's done. We get started and mild chirping from him but I ignore. 4th inning his team is in the field tie game. His son is now the catcher and I am actually happy cause he is good at it and was tired of getting hit. I call ball 4 inside, his dad screams where was that and catcher holds the ball over the plate and says it was a strike UMP is screwing us again. Catcher is gone. I again don’t wanna eject So? It's part of the job. Do it when it's needed. Your life will be much easier. so I say catch it’s enough play ball and he says then stop screwing us over and do your job....yeah your gone. Well here comes dad throwing F bombs so he is gone for number 4. Parents after the game apologized for coach and said they were finding a new team next season. Never saw him again. I heard he went to different league the next season and got banned. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, johnpatrick said:

Slow learner!

Maybe. I heard he went on to coach several HS teams in Tennessee.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I have one team (not necessarily an individual coach, though one of them definitely leads the pack) for whom I have more ejections than I have all others put together. The weird part is that the kids are all great - never had any problems with any of them.

But it's not just me - apparently they get thrown out a lot by other umpires as well.

*shrug* - you gotta do what you gotta do.

What does the league do about it?

In our league the first ejection is a minimum one game suspension but could be more based on the seriousness of the offense.  Second one results in a hearing on front of the Board.  Normally a 3-4 game suspension.  Third ejection, Board hearing and almost guaranteed gone for the season and he/she can forget about managing/coaching next season.

We keep a manager/coach log and record both good and bad things on each manager/coach.  That way, when it comes time to approve managers/coaches next year the first thing we do is look at the log.

We do the same for umpires.

I had one manager in Ohio (AAA-Little League) who just blew his mind!  (Issue was my zone.)  He had a Billy Martin $**t storm.  I ejected him.

On the way out, he turned around and gave me more of a group for several more minutes.  I forfeited the game.  I recommended a LIFETIME suspension for this guy.  The BOD not only supported that, but they sent documentation to the Ohio Little League governing body, as he was trying to appeal the suspension. He will never manage Little League in Ohio again.

Mike

Las Vegas