Gil

TSSAA Sends Message After Coach's Ump Kick

Looks like Haywood may be proposing to "ban coach" from postseason in 2020 & 2021 from headlines in The Tennessean but I refuse to pay to read the article.

1 hour ago, dumbdumb said:

Looks like Haywood may be proposing to "ban coach" from postseason in 2020 & 2021 from headlines in The Tennessean but I refuse to pay to read the article.

Shouldn't be banned, should be fired.

Wait. To ban him from postseason? So he can still be active during the season?

:censored2:

Hopefully this is the article. 3 new proposals for state to pick from like Haywood runs the state. Suddenly (the superintendent Joey hassell) now rather than principle, submits a list. Where was this guy, superintendent, in such a volatile incident earlier? Sitting with his thumbs up his backside. Principle said she did not know they could be harsher originally. Most schools ask State for guidance to find out. This school conveniently did not ask. 

looks like Dusty is part of a powerful click in TN that looks out for and protects its members as Gil mentioned he is still listed on a board. Notice i said looks like, since I am on the outside looking in on the articles, and am not there or a part of in person.

One person said the no post season would only be a possible 2 game suspension if they don't win in first round for 2 years. Good to see someone can count in TN on that wimpy sissy proposal.

Not many umpires from TN, are chiming in. I guess???But do not know umpiring in TN goes through Dusty and his cronies and if you get on their bad side look out. Does Dusty get to pick the guys he wants during regular season and blackball others? But, during the state's he doesn't have as much control? It just seems like he has a lot of control and power.

Does he try to intimidate umpires and throw his weight around? Does he say you will not work here again to intimidate if he doesn't like something. After all he worked the state's as an umpire.

Something just doesn't add up. Is he really a meek and mild coach like a pollyanna, or is he a wolf in sheep's clothing. Obviously, if he doesn't like your call he can go off. He has to know the rule that was called and can just tell his pitcher to make the adjustment. Like a no step balk with a lefty pitcher. I know that my pitcher pushes the envelope on the step to home and if balked i know what it is for. I just tell him to step more towards first or face the consequences of a balk again. It is up to him. I do not need to go screaming at the umpire or have a conference about the step. If you want to scream at umpires and get on TV learn how to be a MLB manager  and go get on TV with a tirade. There is no place for this in amateur ball.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/high-school/2019/06/05/tssaa-haywood-baseball-coach-dusty-rhodes-punishment-ejection/1356737001/

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/high-school/2019/06/05/tssaa-haywood-baseball-coach-dusty-rhodes-punishment-ejection/1356737001/

1 hour ago, dumbdumb said:

Hopefully this is the article. 3 new proposals for state to pick from like Haywood runs the state. Suddenly (the superintendent Joey hassell) now rather than principle, submits a list. Where was this guy, superintendent, in such a volatile incident earlier? Sitting with his thumbs up his backside. Principle said she did not know they could be harsher originally. Most schools ask State for guidance to find out. This school conveniently did not ask. 

looks like Dusty is part of a powerful click in TN that looks out for and protects its members as Gil mentioned he is still listed on a board. Notice i said looks like, since I am on the outside looking in on the articles, and am not there or a part of in person.

One person said the no post season would only be a possible 2 game suspension if they don't win in first round for 2 years. Good to see someone can count in TN on that wimpy sissy proposal.

Not many umpires from TN, are chiming in. I guess???But do not know umpiring in TN goes through Dusty and his cronies and if you get on their bad side look out. Does Dusty get to pick the guys he wants during regular season and blackball others? But, during the state's he doesn't have as much control? It just seems like he has a lot of control and power.

Does he try to intimidate umpires and throw his weight around? Does he say you will not work here again to intimidate if he doesn't like something. After all he worked the state's as an umpire.

Something just doesn't add up. Is he really a meek and mild coach like a pollyanna, or is he a wolf in sheep's clothing. Obviously, if he doesn't like your call he can go off. He has to know the rule that was called and can just tell his pitcher to make the adjustment. Like a no step balk with a lefty pitcher. I know that my pitcher pushes the envelope on the step to home and if balked i know what it is for. I just tell him to step more towards first or face the consequences of a balk again. It is up to him. I do not need to go screaming at the umpire or have a conference about the step. If you want to scream at umpires and get on TV learn how to be a MLB manager  and go get on TV with a tirade. There is no place for this in amateur ball.

The school should be fines and the coaches fired.   What would happen to a teacher if they did that in a classroom?  He should set a good example to those kids and the school.  And he obviously has not.   The alternatives are better, at least the second and third, but do not come near enough.  If he gets away with it this time his behavior will continue.

12 hours ago, dumbdumb said:

Does he say you will not work here again to intimidate if he doesn't like something.

If umpires in TN knew this is all it would take, perhaps they should all accept his offer. 

Says umpire to himself......Enforce rules PIA coach doesn't like. He contacts assignors to ban me from his games. I don't have to deal with his horsesh*t again.

"Balk!"

13 hours ago, dumbdumb said:

3 new proposals for state to pick from like Haywood runs the state.

I hope the state replies with:

(d) All of the above, plus what we've already given you.

Any more news on this coach and high school team?

5 hours ago, umpstu said:

Any more news on this coach and high school team?

Nothing that has been reported in the papers as of saturday. Only people on inside, which may or may not include some TN umpires, may have heard some inside scoop and they may not want to say. There is a TN athletic association board meeting in july, so maybe an update will come with that, if they publish the minutes of the meeting.

I would say we would not hear anything else on this topic until the meeting in July.

I'm really hoping the TSSAA sticks to their guns, so to speak, regarding their punishments.  If they don't, it will send a horrible message to current and potential umpires.

11 hours ago, catsbackr said:

I would say we would not hear anything else on this topic until the meeting in July.

I'm really hoping the TSSAA sticks to their guns, so to speak, regarding their punishments.  If they don't, it will send a horrible message to current and potential umpires.

Shouldn't stick to their guns. His behavior was way above and beyond and was a horrible example for anybody associated with high school baseball.  And not just in the state of Tennessee, but the whole damn country.  He needs to be banned from high school baseball.

14 hours ago, dumbdumb said:

Nothing that has been reported in the papers as of saturday. Only people on inside, which may or may not include some TN umpires, may have heard some inside scoop and they may not want to say. There is a TN athletic association board meeting in july, so maybe an update will come with that, if they publish the minutes of the meeting.

Yeah, haven't seen anything on google concerning anything new from my end either.

On 6/17/2019 at 9:45 AM, catsbackr said:

Why was he asked to leave White House, Tennessee in 1997. Google isn't pulling that information up for inquiring minds. Apparently people, or some people that is, know what it was. Apparently it may not have been for anything on the field, but still why was he asked to leave. Bet you have heard some kind of rumors,  even if you are not from White House. Did he jaywalk or something after losing a game people thought he should win and the locals had him arrested for a trumped up jaywalking charge to ask him to leave. Just what happened in 97??

PS. Seems like someone said he called pro ball. I do not find him on old sporting news cards for MiLB. Did he substitute as a local for the South Atlantic League, Carolina League, Southern League, Appalachian League for his pro experience or what?

5 hours ago, catsbackr said:

I wish you guys could read some of the comments from a TN high school sports site.  OMG, you talk about clueless.

If you mean coachT then  yes I have. How do you think I found something about White House that nobody is going into detail on for some reason back in 97.

If there are other links, please kick them to us with the link.

And what was his link to umpiring pro ball. Like I said, I did not find him in old sporting news cards. Did he get his time in pro ball as a 'fill in local umpire' to leagues and teams from the area, like the Appalachian League or Southern League? Just what was that connection to pro umpiring?

4 minutes ago, dumbdumb said:

If you mean coachT then  yes I have. How do you think I found something about White House that nobody is going into detail on for some reason back in 97.

And what was his link to umpiring pro ball. Like I said, I did not find him in old sporting news cards. Did he get his time in pro ball as a 'fill in local umpire' to leagues and teams from the area, like the Appalachian League or Southern League? Just what was that connection to pro umpiring?

Chances are he was a scab!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dumbdumb said:

Yep, that's the website.

In this year's State tournament, I had him the day before and he acted like he was wanting to pick a fight with one of us or had a chip on his shoulder about something.  A case in point, Dusty calls timeout to talk with his pitcher, I am 3B umpire, conference ends, coach in 3B coaches box asks me how many outs we have, I tell him, Dusty, as he's walking back to 3B dugout yells at me, "what did you say to me?  Hey, what did you say to me?"  3B coach and I both look at him, I tell him I'm talking to the other coach, Dusty starts walking toward me, I hold up stop sign and tell him, "Dusty, I'm not talking to you!"  He finally got it.

Dusty is wound a little tight.

2 minutes ago, UMP45 said:

Chances are he was a scab!

Yes. That could be.

8 minutes ago, catsbackr said:

Yep, that's the website.

In this year's State tournament, I had him the day before and he acted like he was wanting to pick a fight with one of us or had a chip on his shoulder about something.  A case in point, Dusty calls timeout to talk with his pitcher, I am 3B umpire, conference ends, coach in 3B coaches box asks me how many outs we have, I tell him, Dusty, as he's walking back to 3B dugout yells at me, "what did you say to me?  Hey, what did you say to me?"  3B coach and I both look at him, I tell him I'm talking to the other coach, Dusty starts walking toward me, I hold up stop sign and tell him, "Dusty, I'm not talking to you!"  He finally got it.

Dusty is wound a little tight.

Anything on that former pro experience. Was it the issue UMP45 mentioned or was it a combination of working as a fill in for those games as a non-strike guy first, and then as a strike-guy later or just as a strike guy. Just wondering. "Inquiring minds", like the rag paper, want to know.

Anyway, thanks for the follow up.

On 7/20/2019 at 6:08 PM, dumbdumb said:

Yes. That could be.

Anything on that former pro experience. Was it the issue UMP45 mentioned or was it a combination of working as a fill in for those games as a non-strike guy first, and then as a strike-guy later or just as a strike guy. Just wondering. "Inquiring minds", like the rag paper, want to know.

Anyway, thanks for the follow up.

One thing that really sucks is the coach who has been an umpire and then goes and acts like he did.

On 7/22/2019 at 12:16 AM, umpstu said:

One thing that really sucks is the coach who has been an umpire and then goes and acts like he did.

The big thing is, is this how people treat him? So, I am assuming??? He learned how to treat people this way, because people above him or the people he reports to,  treat him this way, therefore he doesn't know any other way. Maybe everyone needs anger management classes around there. Did not see that listed as a punishment either.

On 7/20/2019 at 5:47 PM, dumbdumb said:

I have googled college umpire Jeff Rhodes, pro umpire, milb and umpire Jeff Rhodes.  I find nothing.