TSSAA Sends Message After Coach's Ump Kick

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1683 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

After Haywood High School head coach Jeff 'Dusty' Rhodes appeared to kick at an umpire amidst his tantrum and tirade after being ejected during Tennessee's Class AA state tournament, the TSSAA fined and punished Rhodes' school, explaining that because Haywood failed to respond appropriately to its...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

8 hours ago, Matt said:

Holy F*#K. And there are people on Twitter defending him. I'm glad that the state severely sanctioned the school.

Wider angle and longer video of incident of Haywood's Dusty Rhodes.

https://www.jacksonsun.com/story/sports/high-school/2019/05/23/tssaa-spring-fling-2019-haywood-baseball-coach-dusty-rhodes-ejected/3769067002/

Here is umpire report and letter sent to Haywood by State.

https://newschannel9.com/sports/sports-headlines/tssaa-severely-punishes-haywood-baseball-team-after-head-coachs-dirt-kicking-tantrum

Naturally. They/defenders on twitter, use his numerous coaching wins as justification to overlook the poor/disgusting sportsmanship.

and here is the video of the Eagleville coach mentioned in the article as another problem with a coach in Tennessee in the classroom with the female, :  and apparently the coach also had prior complaints.

https://meaww.com/tennessee-high-school-video-baseball-coach-inappropriately-touching-student-suspended-without-pay

You guys from Tennessee.

Is this the same Dusty Rhodes that was doing the State Tournament back in 2007?

Please tell me no.

There just cannot be that many Dusty Rhodes running around in Tennessee.

Just checking. If so, IMHO only, just disappointing/or use of entitlement actions due to being an umpire to other umpires if true when the coaching hat goes on.

If this is not the same Dusty Rhodes from the box score that is mentioned from the OP, it is just a shame this coach with the same name leads to this box score from the past.

Box score (newspaper)

The Automated ScoreBook
                                 Seymour vs Goodpasture
                May 24, 2007 at Murfreesboro, TN (Blackman High School)

Seymour 5 (30-11)                             Goodpasture 6 (37-5)

Player                      AB  R  H BI       Player                      AB  R  H BI
---------------------------------------       ---------------------------------------
Chase Fellin ss/2b.........  5  2  2  0       Tyler Lovell ss............  4  0  0  0
Drew Fox rf................  6  1  2  0       Chris White cf.............  5  1  1  0
Cody Church 2b/cf..........  5  1  3  1       Ryan Lovell rf.............  5  1  2  0
Kyle Koeneman 1b/p.........  2  0  0  1       Ryan Hanson 3b.............  5  0  1  0
 Mark Funderburk pr........  0  0  0  0       Coleman Stroud 1b/p........  5  1  0  1
 Seth Stoffle pr...........  0  0  0  0       Adam Akins lf/1b...........  5  1  2  1
Derek Sise 3b..............  4  0  1  1       Bennett Smith c............  5  1  3  2
Wes Walker c...............  4  0  1  0        Josh Snyder pr/lf.........  0  0  0  0
 Andy Whisler pr...........  0  0  0  0       Hank Graves dh.............  4  1  1  1
 Todd Ogle pr/p............  3  1  0  0       William Potts 2b...........  3  0  1  1
Matt Lynam dh..............  1  0  0  0        Cody Lane ph..............  1  0  1  0
Fields Fouse lf............  5  0  3  0       J McCorder p...............  0  0  0  0
Riley Finch p/ss...........  5  0  0  0        Shawn McVey p.............  0  0  0  0
Blake Overton cf...........  0  0  0  0
Totals..................... 40  5 12  3       Totals..................... 42  6 12  6

Score by Innings                       R  H  E
----------------------------------------------
Seymour............. 200 120 000 00 -  5 12  0
Goodpasture......... 000 500 000 01 -  6 12  2

Note: 1 out, 1 runner LOB when the game ended.

E - Lovell, T.; Smith. DP - Cougars 3. LOB - Eagles 9; Cougars 6. 2B - Church 2;
Akins; Graves. 3B - Akins. SB - Fellin; Whisler. CS - Sise; Snyder.

Seymour                        IP  H  R ER BB SO  WP BK HP IBB  AB BF  FO GO
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Riley Finch ...............   3.2  7  5  5  0  4   0  0  0  0   18 18   2  5
Todd Ogle .................   0.1  0  0  0  1  1   0  0  0  0    1  2   0  0
Kyle Koeneman  L...........   6.1  5  1  1  0  5   0  0  0  0   23 23   5  8

Goodpasture                    IP  H  R ER BB SO  WP BK HP IBB  AB BF  FO GO
J McCorder ................   4.0  2  3  1  5  3   1  1  0  0   13 18   4  4
Shawn McVey ...............   2.0  4  2  2  0  0   0  0  0  0    9  9   2  2
Coleman Stroud  W..........   5.0  6  0  0  2  4   0  0  0  1   18 20   1  7

WP - J McCorder. BK - J McCorder. PB - Smith 2.

Strikeouts - Fox; Church; Koeneman; Sise; Walker; Fouse; Finch; Lovell, T. 2; White
2; Lovell, R.; Hanson 2; Stroud; Smith; Graves. Walks - Fellin; Koeneman 3; Sise;
Walker; Lynam; Lovell, T..

Umpires - HP: Tony Michael  1B: Robert Ward  3B: Dusty Rhodes
Start: 4:03   Time: 2:54   Attendance:

Game: AA12

Same guy.  Word on ball fields in W. TN is that he has left Haywood County & has accepted a coaching position at Adamsville HS in McNairy County, TN.  So Haywood gets 2 year postseason ban & the coach sits two games at his new school next season.

Coach used to be at Riverside HS, I thing he won a State championship or two there.

I worked with the umpire that ejected Rhodes the day after this incident at this year's state tournament at another site.  All he said was that the videos don't even do justice to what the coach was saying to him and to him with his players trying to get him to leave the field.  A lot of umpires are saying that the other umpires didn't handle this very well, but I disagree.  There is a whole lot going on here at the same time.  The Asst. coach got ejected also, so the third umpire had to decide which coach to play rodeo clown with.  This type of behavior doesn't happen very much at the HS level, hard to get any practical experience for handling this.  The umpire that ejected Rhodes is a young, umpire school grad that works HS and college baseball and did a good job in this situation, in my opinion.

The coaches got what they deserved.  There is nowhere in amateur baseball for this kind of behavior.

• Thanks 1

On 5/31/2019 at 8:23 PM, Matt said:

Holy F*#K. And there are people on Twitter defending him. I'm glad that the state severely sanctioned the school.

I read that.  He's won 3 titles so it's ok to act that way.  A big WOW.  A bigger A hole.

On 6/1/2019 at 8:34 AM, dumbdumb said:

You guys from Tennessee.

Is this the same Dusty Rhodes that was doing the State Tournament back in 2007?

Please tell me no.

There just cannot be that many Dusty Rhodes running around in Tennessee.

Just checking. If so, IMHO only, just disappointing/or use of entitlement actions due to being an umpire to other umpires if true when the coaching hat goes on.

If this is not the same Dusty Rhodes from the box score that is mentioned from the OP, it is just a shame this coach with the same name leads to this box score from the past.

Box score (newspaper)

The Automated ScoreBook
                                 Seymour vs Goodpasture
                May 24, 2007 at Murfreesboro, TN (Blackman High School)

Seymour 5 (30-11)                             Goodpasture 6 (37-5)

Player                      AB  R  H BI       Player                      AB  R  H BI
---------------------------------------       ---------------------------------------
Chase Fellin ss/2b.........  5  2  2  0       Tyler Lovell ss............  4  0  0  0
Drew Fox rf................  6  1  2  0       Chris White cf.............  5  1  1  0
Cody Church 2b/cf..........  5  1  3  1       Ryan Lovell rf.............  5  1  2  0
Kyle Koeneman 1b/p.........  2  0  0  1       Ryan Hanson 3b.............  5  0  1  0
 Mark Funderburk pr........  0  0  0  0       Coleman Stroud 1b/p........  5  1  0  1
 Seth Stoffle pr...........  0  0  0  0       Adam Akins lf/1b...........  5  1  2  1
Derek Sise 3b..............  4  0  1  1       Bennett Smith c............  5  1  3  2
Wes Walker c...............  4  0  1  0        Josh Snyder pr/lf.........  0  0  0  0
 Andy Whisler pr...........  0  0  0  0       Hank Graves dh.............  4  1  1  1
 Todd Ogle pr/p............  3  1  0  0       William Potts 2b...........  3  0  1  1
Matt Lynam dh..............  1  0  0  0        Cody Lane ph..............  1  0  1  0
Fields Fouse lf............  5  0  3  0       J McCorder p...............  0  0  0  0
Riley Finch p/ss...........  5  0  0  0        Shawn McVey p.............  0  0  0  0
Blake Overton cf...........  0  0  0  0
Totals..................... 40  5 12  3       Totals..................... 42  6 12  6

Score by Innings                       R  H  E
Seymour............. 200 120 000 00 -  5 12  0
Goodpasture......... 000 500 000 01 -  6 12  2

Note: 1 out, 1 runner LOB when the game ended.

E - Lovell, T.; Smith. DP - Cougars 3. LOB - Eagles 9; Cougars 6. 2B - Church 2;
Akins; Graves. 3B - Akins. SB - Fellin; Whisler. CS - Sise; Snyder.

Seymour                        IP  H  R ER BB SO  WP BK HP IBB  AB BF  FO GO
Riley Finch ...............   3.2  7  5  5  0  4   0  0  0  0   18 18   2  5
Todd Ogle .................   0.1  0  0  0  1  1   0  0  0  0    1  2   0  0
Kyle Koeneman  L...........   6.1  5  1  1  0  5   0  0  0  0   23 23   5  8

Goodpasture                    IP  H  R ER BB SO  WP BK HP IBB  AB BF  FO GO
J McCorder ................   4.0  2  3  1  5  3   1  1  0  0   13 18   4  4
Shawn McVey ...............   2.0  4  2  2  0  0   0  0  0  0    9  9   2  2
Coleman Stroud  W..........   5.0  6  0  0  2  4   0  0  0  1   18 20   1  7

WP - J McCorder. BK - J McCorder. PB - Smith 2.

Strikeouts - Fox; Church; Koeneman; Sise; Walker; Fouse; Finch; Lovell, T. 2; White
2; Lovell, R.; Hanson 2; Stroud; Smith; Graves. Walks - Fellin; Koeneman 3; Sise;
Walker; Lynam; Lovell, T..

Umpires - HP: Tony Michael  1B: Robert Ward  3B: Dusty Rhodes
Start: 4:03   Time: 2:54   Attendance:

Game: AA12

I actually read he had been an umpire at one time, and a pretty good one.  So I would imagine he was big leaguing the umpires as well.

12 hours ago, catsbackr said:

Coach used to be at Riverside HS, I thing he won a State championship or two there.

I worked with the umpire that ejected Rhodes the day after this incident at this year's state tournament at another site.  All he said was that the videos don't even do justice to what the coach was saying to him and to him with his players trying to get him to leave the field.  A lot of umpires are saying that the other umpires didn't handle this very well, but I disagree.  There is a whole lot going on here at the same time.  The Asst. coach got ejected also, so the third umpire had to decide which coach to play rodeo clown with.  This type of behavior doesn't happen very much at the HS level, hard to get any practical experience for handling this.  The umpire that ejected Rhodes is an young, umpire school grad that works HS and college baseball and did a good job in this situation, in my opinion.

The coaches got what they deserved.  There is nowhere in amateur baseball for this kind of behavior.

I wholeheartedly agree.

Since the High School was only going to impose mickey mouse solutions at the basic minimum required, rather than add on extra for this monstrosity of length and breath of human behavior, the State stepped in, and give them credit for their absolutely correct additional penalties.

Some Unsportsmanlike management intestinal fortitude should be going to that mickey mouse High School and the County board/superindendent that should have been all over this, or who/whom ever is over the High School Micky Mouse Management personnel that basically,  with that penalty imposed endorsed this kind of conduct, with their wimpy and uncaring punishment, for way over the top vicious deportment and unsportsmanlike conduct that held up the game that long with proof from the video.

In the however department. Since a report is written and you have been told that justice was not served on what was being said, the umpire had all the time to write up the report even if it was one of my doctoral dissertations of exactly what was being said the whole time, no matter how many and what types of profanities or accusations were being made or threats of bodily harm. That is what a report is for. Or, do you not back up the umpires in Tennessee and coaches rule the roost and now he will be blackballed, so the reports are kept short. These are the things that I just do not grasp or understand.

Do you guys just not care, and it is the Wild Wild west in Tennessee where you are just a base, and can be replaced and coaches rule, and nobody protects the umpires through the association or anything else. I am not accusing, just questioning the thoughts that run through my mind on these situations.

I am just trying to grasp with all the articles about umpires quitting and everybody wondering why they quit. This is a coach and that is where it starts. It seams like he is an educator (teacher or has been) also. What in world is anybody in our youth learning from this atrocious display. Are they learning that the squeaky wheel gets the oil. Are they learning that companies management do this in the workplace to employees. Are they learning that they are a loser in life if they do not follow how this coach of future leaders, should lead when things do not go your way, or they will be left out of life. Are they learning that might makes right, and if you are not cheating you are not trying. Are they learning that physically pushing people around is how they should handle life, and start in the workplace by screaming at the boss and coworkers before their boss or coworkers scream at them. Are they learning to point and blame scream and yell and bump and push others around anytime they do not like something. Just what educationally is this educator trying to impress on the Student's, his administration, his school pride, his community pride, his County and board members pride and the great state of Tennessee pride, to the future generations of student's that they have under their wing and are mentoring to be solid future leaders.

I just don't understand and take as much time to help me understand. If I am totally misreading or visually impaired with what I saw in the video and am so far off base with what i am seeing and reading, "I totally apologize" and I guess I should just pound sand and put my head in the sand also.

https://www.wbbjtv.com/2012/12/08/decatur-co-baseball-coach-fired/

And above is an article about him being dismissed before from Riverside.

• Like 1

I do think the TSSAA did all officials a "solid" by the way this situation was dealt with.

Not only did they not overturn or reduce the punishment, but they came down in what I believe was the warranted penalties for the crime.  And for that, I thank them.

A reminder for any TN locals that Rhodes is listed as a member of the Decatur County School Board. Athalia Taylor (dcldsl@tds.net), Director of the Decatur County Public Library, is the Chairperson of the Board. Dr. Chris Villaflor (chris.villaflor@decaturschools.org) is Director of Schools.

Pursuant to Decatur County School Board policy 1.102, board members "shall be citizens of recognized integrity, intelligence, and ability toadminister the duties of the office."

Members of the Board shall ascribe by a code of ethics, which includes, 1.1061, I-1: "I will at all times think in terms of 'children first,' always determining how my actions and decisions will affect the education and training of children."

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dumbdumb said:

I wholeheartedly agree.

Since the High School was only going to impose mickey mouse solutions at the basic minimum required, rather than add on extra for this monstrosity of length and breath of human behavior, the State stepped in, and give them credit for their absolutely correct additional penalties.

Some Unsportsmanlike management intestinal fortitude should be going to that mickey mouse High School and the County board/superindendent that should have been all over this, or who/whom ever is over the High School Micky Mouse Management personnel that basically,  with that penalty imposed endorsed this kind of conduct, with their wimpy and uncaring punishment, for way over the top vicious deportment and unsportsmanlike conduct that held up the game that long with proof from the video.

In the however department. Since a report is written and you have been told that justice was not served on what was being said, the umpire had all the time to write up the report even if it was one of my doctoral dissertations of exactly what was being said the whole time, no matter how many and what types of profanities or accusations were being made or threats of bodily harm. That is what a report is for. Or, do you not back up the umpires in Tennessee and coaches rule the roost and now he will be blackballed, so the reports are kept short. These are the things that I just do not grasp or understand.

Do you guys just not care, and it is the Wild Wild west in Tennessee where you are just a base, and can be replaced and coaches rule, and nobody protects the umpires through the association or anything else. I am not accusing, just questioning the thoughts that run through my mind on these situations.

I am just trying to grasp with all the articles about umpires quitting and everybody wondering why they quit. This is a coach and that is where it starts. It seams like he is an educator (teacher or has been) also. What in world is anybody in our youth learning from this atrocious display. Are they learning that the squeaky wheel gets the oil. Are they learning that companies management do this in the workplace to employees. Are they learning that they are a loser in life if they do not follow how this coach of future leaders, should lead when things do not go your way, or they will be left out of life. Are they learning that might makes right, and if you are not cheating you are not trying. Are they learning that physically pushing people around is how they should handle life, and start in the workplace by screaming at the boss and coworkers before their boss or coworkers scream at them. Are they learning to point and blame scream and yell and bump and push others around anytime they do not like something. Just what educationally is this educator trying to impress on the Student's, his administration, his school pride, his community pride, his County and board members pride and the great state of Tennessee pride, to the future generations of student's that they have under their wing and are mentoring to be solid future leaders.

I just don't understand and take as much time to help me understand. If I am totally misreading or visually impaired with what I saw in the video and am so far off base with what i am seeing and reading, "I totally apologize" and I guess I should just pound sand and put my head in the sand also.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&channel=tus&q=length

And above is an article about him being dismissed before from Riverside.

The link takes me to a bunch of descriptions about length.  Would really love to read the article if you can post it.

2 hours ago, umpstu said:

The link takes me to a bunch of descriptions about length.  Would really love to read the article if you can post it.

Fixed in the original and repeated here.

Obviously i balked and threw in the spelling screen i was on by accident.

And the post higher up, where he is going to another area while leaving his old area on probation for 2 years and no playoffs is a real bummer.

But apparently the way of the coach, since he is an acclaimed winner, is the way of winner 's everywhere and everyone else not like him is a loser.

And thank's to Gil's reply to the code of ethics of the board he is on in Decatur::

"I will at all times think in terms of 'children first,' always determining """how my actions and decisions will affect the 'education and training' of children"""."

Why even take a position that has this line. Let's see if he gets canned from the Board. Yeh, right. He's a winner.

•  

38 minutes ago, dumbdumb said:

Fixed in the original and repeated here.

Obviously i balked and threw in the spelling screen i was on by accident.

And the post higher up, where he is going to another area while leaving his old area on probation for 2 years and no playoffs is a real bummer.

But apparently the way of the coach, since he is an acclaimed winner, is the way of winner 's everywhere and everyone else not like him is a loser.

And thank's to Gil's reply to the code of ethics of the board he is on in Decatur::

"I will at all times think in terms of 'children first,' always determining """how my actions and decisions will affect the 'education and training' of children"""."

Why even take a position that has this line. Let's see if he gets canned from the Board. Yeh, right. He's a winner.

•  

My younger brother was an AD for many years at the hs level.  Long enough that he was considered the dean of the Ad's in his conference and also the area where he lived.  He was always receiving calls from other ad's asking for advice.  Even after retiring he is still attending games as an on site school administrator.  I guarantee that coach would be gone if it was one of his.  He would not let coaches act like that.  If they showed up an official they would be in front of his desk the following morning and he would have let them know that, just possibly that official might have had a son, daughter, wife, mom or other relatives there to watch him officiate.   And how would that coach like it had he been in that officials shoes.  I don't think that TSSAA handed down a severe enough punishment.

12 hours ago, Gil said:

Members of the Board shall ascribe by a code of ethics, which includes, 1.1061, I-1: "I will at all times think in terms of 'children first,' always determining how my actions and decisions will affect the education and training of children."

In fairness, a whole bunch of kids have now been trained on how to not treat an official at a sporting event.

• Like 1

I also see some kids in the video that are a lot more grown up than their coaches/mentors. Bad situation. That guy should never step foot on a HS field again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I'm just curious as to why so many players had to come out to try to control him. Where there no administrators on-site?  IMO there were way too many players and other people on the field. 

• Like 1

Plenty's been said on the Haywood coach/assclown, but does anyone think something seems fishy in the Eagleville situation? The coach had prior complaints, not over something everyday and petty like playing time, but inappropriate sexual conduct with a student, they get a video that's waving a whole flag store's worth of red flags (from other stories, they got the video on Tuesday, 2 days before this game), and they don't say or do anything until AFTER they lose on Thursday?!? While I'm sure it's possible that the law enforcement investigation magically really did end between the time the game/season was over and the announcement later that day.....can we talk odds here? What if they won that game and advanced? I dunno....just sayin'.

• Like 1

So, you believe that fewer people on the field would have helped try and control the guy that was cussing out and kicking dirt on the umpire?  

I sort of see your point though, it did look like the umpires were trying to herd cats out there, but who knew that both the head coach and the first base coach would be ejected.

Hold it, wait for it. Are you ready? Here comes the appeal. 

https://www.jacksonsun.com/story/sports/high-school/2019/06/03/jackson-area-high-school-baseball-haywood-dusty-rhodes-appeal-tssaa-postseason-ban/1321786001/

tomorrow (Tuesday) 4:30pm Double Tree Hotel Murfreesboro

It is all over Chattanooga and the Chattanooga choo choo now, where Willie Mays once played  https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/1946-willie-mays-chattanooga-choo-choos/ 

Chattanooga Rhodes article below

https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/columns/story/2019/jun/03/wiedmer-haywood-high-school-must-deliver-much/495865/

Time to call in the one man who understands

2 hours ago, catsbackr said:

So, you believe that fewer people on the field would have helped try and control the guy that was cussing out and kicking dirt on the umpire?  

I sort of see your point though, it did look like the umpires were trying to herd cats out there, but who knew that both the head coach and the first base coach would be ejected.

I believe that its a lot easier for 4 umpires to control one irate coach, than 4 umpires trying to control 25 irate players, coaches and who knows who else. I think of it like the 'fight rule'. Any player who leaves their position or bench and comes out on the field should be ejected. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dumbdumb said:

Hold it, wait for it. Are you ready? Here comes the appeal. 

https://www.jacksonsun.com/story/sports/high-school/2019/06/03/jackson-area-high-school-baseball-haywood-dusty-rhodes-appeal-tssaa-postseason-ban/1321786001/

tomorrow (Tuesday) 4:30pm Double Tree Hotel Murfreesboro

It is all over Chattanooga and the Chattanooga choo choo now, where Willie Mays once played  https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/1946-willie-mays-chattanooga-choo-choos/ 

Chattanooga Rhodes article below

https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/columns/story/2019/jun/03/wiedmer-haywood-high-school-must-deliver-much/495865/

Time to call in the one man who understands

Cool pic of Willie Mays.

8 hours ago, blue23ll said:

I think of it like the 'fight rule'. Any player who leaves their position or bench and comes out on the field should be ejected. 

I was wondering the same thing. At some point you just start telling everyone to go to their dugout. Only coaches and administrators should be allowed to stay, and only if they're helping wrangle Coach Jackass away from us.

If anyone wants to question me about it later, I'll say that I felt the situation on the field was unsafe for the players.

• Like 1