The Man in Blue

Handling the heat ... suggestions?

Egads..  6 plates lucky you are young.

I tried 3 games with no plates this past weekend 99 degrees with temp index at like 105

I made the 1st two bases and had brought the vest for the 3rd game.  I chose to let the PU use it as he is like 15 yrs more my Sr.  Well I made it 2 innings and I could not do any more I was dizzy wobbly on my feet having a hard time concentrating. I called over the UIC that was there to observe and he looked at me and said he would go suit up and be back.  Just glad I called it on myself rather than pass out and need to be carried off.

Drank alternating 4 powerades and 3 waters also using a towel dipped in icewater in between innings.  Yep wished like hell I had kept my vest and used it myself.

oh well live n learn

Heave Ho, if I may offer this caution: being 15 does not mean you are immune from the effects of heat prostration. Even three plate jobs can be dangerous in the heat and humidity. Please consider a break--either sitting in the shade, hydrating, or a base job--between plates.

22 hours ago, ArchAngel72 said:

Drank alternating 4 powerades 

One of the worst things for us as athletes, if not just as human beings. 

Powerade is the product of Coca-Cola, who is unabashedly striving to poison us through the overuse and abuse of sugar – in the form of High Fructose Corn Syrup. It is the A-number-one chief ingredient in Powerade, which itself is nothing more than soda (pop, coke, etc.) without the carbonation.

I’ll go into this more in-depth later, but the over-abundance of sugar – especially synthesized sugars – in our diets have very damaging effects. Water is important, but if anything, we need to find a counterbalance, so we should be seeking out electrolyte-replacing waters, alkaline waters, and antioxidant-infused water at these critical times.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Umpire in Chief said:

Here's an oldie but a goodie...

????

5 minutes ago, Umpire in Chief said:

Can you not access the article?

Odd. I could access it on my iPad but not on my iMac desktop computer, where I got a "no permission" message.

3 hours ago, MadMax said:

One of the worst things for us as athletes, if not just as human beings. 

Powerade is the product of Coca-Cola, who is unabashedly striving to poison us through the overuse and abuse of sugar – in the form of High Fructose Corn Syrup. It is the A-number-one chief ingredient in Powerade, which itself is nothing more than soda (pop, coke, etc.) without the carbonation.

I’ll go into this more in-depth later, but the over-abundance of sugar – especially synthesized sugars – in our diets have very damaging effects. Water is important, but if anything, we need to find a counterbalance, so we should be seeking out electrolyte-replacing waters, alkaline waters, and antioxidant-infused water at these critical times.

oh I should have said Zero sugar powerade..

go on tell me how thats gonna make me diabetic..

I am Diabetic  type 2..   I'll take the chance thanks..

5 hours ago, ArchAngel72 said:

oh I should have said Zero sugar powerade..

go on tell me how thats gonna make me diabetic..

I am Diabetic  type 2..   I'll take the chance thanks..

Hey, @MadMax point is based in scientific facts. And let us not forget... you were the one that almost went down.

I know it isn’t the best thing, but when I do drink a “sport drink” I typically dilute it with 2 or 3 parts water to 1 part sport drink.

12 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

Hey, @MadMax point is based in scientific facts. And let us not forget... you were the one that almost went down.

Yeah but I went down not from dehydration.   I urinated in between each game and was not dehydrated I was too hot. 

Scientific fact too if you do not supplement with something other than just straight water its not good for the body also.  You need the electrolytes that you shed when sweating to be pushed back into your body.

my whole point though in the post was I should not have been nice and given up the 140$ cooling vest I bought specifically for the games that day. I should have been selfish and kept it for myself, but then again I do not know if the 59 yr old guy who was out late boozing it up and the Jason Aldean concert the night before would have made it either. So I did the nice thing and let him use it.  To my knowledge it worked fine.  Not so much for me.

11 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

I know it isn’t the best thing, but when I do drink a “sport drink” I typically dilute it with 2 or 3 parts water to 1 part sport drink.

When I am able to I do the 50/50 thing

• Like 1

On 7/25/2019 at 1:35 PM, Umpire in Chief said:

Can you not access the article?

Its a broken link for me

I want one of these ...

https://www.engadget.com/2019/07/28/sony-reon-pocket-wearable-air-conditioner/

Sony has developed a “personal air conditioner” that sits on the base of your neck (in a pocket on a t-shirt).  

Good news: just under $120.  

Bad news: battery lasts less than two hours.  

Worse news: only available in Japan next year.  :no:

1 hour ago, The Man in Blue said:

I want one of these ...

https://www.engadget.com/2019/07/28/sony-reon-pocket-wearable-air-conditioner/

Sony has developed a “personal air conditioner” that sits on the base of your neck (in a pocket on a t-shirt).  

Good news: just under $120.  

Bad news: battery lasts less than two hours.  

Worse news: only available in Japan next year.  :no:

Dr. Deming taught them well.

On 5/31/2019 at 5:55 PM, MadMax said:

Other ways to keep cool? Invest in a wring-and-sling cooling towel. Wet it, wring it out, sling it around a few times in the air (snap it), and then wear it around your neck. It definitely helps. Do not let a colleague or supervisor give you crap for it. They’re not the ones out there calling that game in that heat.

Terrific point.  Ive noticed a good number of MLB guys who have worn a towel around their neck when working the plate in 90-100ish degree temperatures.  I know for a fact Ive seen Hunter on TV with a towel around his neck behind the plate.  Theres nothing wrong with it.

• Like 2

On 5/31/2019 at 12:40 PM, grk17 said:

I really wish Adams/Schutt made shin guards out of the same mold as their chest protectors. Could you imagine ventilation holes in both the plastic and padding for shin guards? That would be awesome

On 5/31/2019 at 4:55 PM, MadMax said:

Actually, they do. The same D3O foam, complete with the holes, are in their shin guards. It just doesn’t have the vent holes to match on the plastic carapace. Their shins are very light and quite protective – they just aren’t as perfect good as the Force3 Ultimates.

I ordered the Adams chest protector last January.  Love it by they way.  I also ordered the "matching" shin guards.  They have 3 models.  I ordered the model that looked to have the best padding.  Can't remember the model # and I'm at work right now.  There was little to no information about their shin guards online but I gave them a try anyway.  My first reaction was that they were comfty and lite weight and didn't hinder any movement.  At the end of my high school season I took a direct pitch, from a JV pitcher not throwing that fast, to the bottom of my shin guard.  I noticed after the game that it had cracked.  I didn't feel anything so I guess it did it's job but I still don't think that pitch should have cracked a good shin guard. 

Soon after I bought the Wilson Platinum guards for 20 bucks more.  There is really no comparison.  Spend the extra 20 bucks.  I wore the Wilson's for the rest of the Summer and loved them.  I am a sweaty guy but I couldn't tell that the padding and lack of ventilation holes made me hotter during the Summer months.  

Buy the Adams Chest Protector but pass on their shin guards if you do high school and above.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1