Thunderheads

Softball Illegal Bat Question

putting this here so more people see it .......

Can I get a clarification on something please (and no, I'm sorry I don't have access to cite right now) but ....

For NFHS baseball - an illegal bat is an out and the bat is removed, first time.  Second time, we have ejections.

For NFHS softball - is it true that the player and the coach are ejected first time when an illegal bat is discovered?

AND NO, I don't do softball ...this issue came up after the AD from the school came to us after our District playoff game last night and was talking about his "softball issue' he had ....it was an illegal bat infraction and wanted to know if the immediate EJ was correct

Thanks ......

Mr. Thunderheads, the most recent FED softball rule book I have is from 2015 (so there may have been changes since then). Here is the applicable rule you are looking for (7-4-2)--

SECTION 4 BATTER IS OUT

2015 NFHS softball rule 7-4 ART. 2 . . . The batter enters the batter's box with an illegal bat or is discovered having used an illegal bat and the infraction is detected before the next legal or illegal pitch (only the umpire or defense may detect an illegal bat).

PENALTY: The ball is dead immediately. All runners must return to the base occupied at the time of the pitch. When the illegal bat is an altered or nonapproved bat, the batter and head coach are also ejected. Runners would not return if they were put out on the play.

11 minutes ago, Senor Azul said:

Mr. Thunderheads, the most recent FED softball rule book I have is from 2015 (so there may have been changes since then). Here is the applicable rule you are looking for (7-4-2)--

SECTION 4 BATTER IS OUT

2015 NFHS softball rule 7-4 ART. 2 . . . The batter enters the batter's box with an illegal bat or is discovered having used an illegal bat and the infraction is detected before the next legal or illegal pitch (only the umpire or defense may detect an illegal bat).

PENALTY: The ball is dead immediately. All runners must return to the base occupied at the time of the pitch. When the illegal bat is an altered or nonapproved bat, the batter and head coach are also ejected. Runners would not return if they were put out on the play.

Thank you Mr Blue!  Can anyone confirm that this rule is still current?

I can confirm the rule is the same for 2019, on NFHS's online book:

742.jpg

Just now, yawetag said:

I can confirm the rule is the same for 2019, on NFHS's online book:

742.jpg

Thanks Andrew!!!