Jump to content
Ty97

First EJ

Recommended Posts

LL Majors. VT Dugout chirping all through bottom of first inning about strike zone. Come B2, the leadoff batter gets a single. Next batter squares to bunt each pitch and takes 4 straight balls. After ball 4, VT bookkeeper yells, “You wanna let us know where your strike zone is?” I put my hand up and say, “We aren’t discussing balls and strikes.” He yells back, “Well maybe we should be so you can learn how to call them.” I eject him after that statement. First one of my young career. Was this too quick a hook or did it seem right?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ty97 said:

LL Majors. VT Dugout chirping all through bottom of first inning about strike zone. Come B2, the leadoff batter gets a single. Next batter squares to bunt each pitch and takes 4 straight balls. After ball 4, VT bookkeeper yells, “You wanna let us know where your strike zone is?” I put my hand up and say, “We aren’t discussing balls and strikes.” He yells back, “Well maybe we should be so you can learn how to call them.” I eject him after that statement. First one of my young career. Was this too quick a hook or did it seem right?

I'd dump him for that also!   However, .... when I read your post, the first thing I notice is this ........VT Dugout chirping all through bottom of first inning about strike zone

I'm NOT being a jerk here, but just something to think about and ask yourself .....how did YOU feel about your zone?  First inning chirping is pretty early, yes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Ty97, I too would have addressed it before chirping all through bottom of first inning about strike zone

Maybe your zone was bad.  everyone has a bad day.  That still doesn't mean the coaches get to act like tools.

 

However, I have stood by my statement for years, that I have never ejected anyone.  I have merely confirmed their desire to no longer participate in that days contest.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like a good ejection, especially from the scorekeeper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

I'd dump him for that also!   However, .... when I read your post, the first thing I notice is this ........VT Dugout chirping all through bottom of first inning about strike zone

I'm NOT being a jerk here, but just something to think about and ask yourself .....how did YOU feel about your zone?  First inning chirping is pretty early, yes?

I thought the zone was pretty solid. First inning issues came from a couple pitches where the catcher set up off the plate outside (about in line with the chalk line) and the pitcher was hitting his spots, but they were balls. Their frustration started with a few of these pitches.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ty97 said:

I thought the zone was pretty solid. First inning issues came from a couple pitches where the catcher set up off the plate outside (about in line with the chalk line) and the pitcher was hitting his spots, but they were balls. Their frustration started with a few of these pitches.

Ahhhh, ....I see!!  That always gets the bench/coaches and fans all worked up! :D 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been said many times and I've found it to be SO true... the only EJ you will regret is the one you didn't give.

It''s LL... shut up and play!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Ty97 said:

I thought the zone was pretty solid. First inning issues came from a couple pitches where the catcher set up off the plate outside (about in line with the chalk line) and the pitcher was hitting his spots, but they were balls. Their frustration started with a few of these pitches.

There are some ways that you can handle this to try to keep the jack wagons from becoming unhinged when F1 hits his spots but they are out of the zone.

  • Remain in the slot on the inside corner even though you feel vulnerable. Your location offers dugouts some perspective on pitch location
  • Pre-pitch, when F2 sets up off the plate, raise which ever arm F2 moves away from to show how far out he is.  By reaching out toward F2, the distance is apparent to anyone who cares to pay attention. 
  • Some might suggest that you offer the location in or out on balls that could be perceived as strikes; for example, "Ball.. that's out!"

While some say ignore it, I would counter that it is better to do something rather than nothing.

You also should begin to practice your STFU stare.

giphy-downsized.gif

 

 

It is my weapon of choice. :wink:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since it was "the book," it's easily a good EJ.  I'd argue you were too nice with the "we aren't discussing balls and strikes," since that's a "no [redacted]" thing.  "Shut it" would have been more appropriate to open THAT conversation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Ty97 said:

LL Majors. VT Dugout chirping all through bottom of first inning about strike zone. Come B2, the leadoff batter gets a single. Next batter squares to bunt each pitch and takes 4 straight balls. After ball 4, VT bookkeeper yells, “You wanna let us know where your strike zone is?” I put my hand up and say, “We aren’t discussing balls and strikes.” He yells back, “Well maybe we should be so you can learn how to call them.” I eject him after that statement. First one of my young career. Was this too quick a hook or did it seem right?

Tennis shoes and clipboards have a VERY short leash.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HokieUmp said:

Since it was "the book," it's easily a good EJ.  I'd argue you were too nice with the "we aren't discussing balls and strikes," since that's a "no [redacted]" thing.  "Shut it" would have been more appropriate to open THAT conversation.

I have no problem dumping a dude holding a book, but I wouldn't use "shut it". Stop sign, that's enough, that's it, we're done, stop it, etc. Shut it is essentially saying "shut up", which, well, makes you look like the bad guy now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently your zone was ok in the top of the first?  Once had a partner eject the Home HC after the first pitch. 

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2019 at 9:20 AM, wolfe_man said:

It's been said many times and I've found it to be SO true... the only EJ you will regret is the one you didn't give.

It''s LL... shut up and play!

This!^^^^^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is very effective.

1st incident of B and S grumbling. Ignore (unless really egregious)

2nd incident of B and S grumbling. Stare with mask on at offenders.

3rd incident of B and S grumbling. Remove mask and firmly announce, "That's balls and strikes. If you continue to argue balls and strikes, you will be ejected. And that's a team warning.

After that, give em the hook.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2019 at 3:09 PM, Thatsnotyou said:

I have no problem dumping a dude holding a book, but I wouldn't use "shut it". Stop sign, that's enough, that's it, we're done, stop it, etc. Shut it is essentially saying "shut up", which, well, makes you look like the bad guy now.

I understand your point, so maybe then just dump him at the first iteration, then.  See, to me, "the book" is NOT any form of coach, and gets ZERO latitude.  Offering up any kind of stop sign, etc, seems to give him a respect he doesn't deserve.

That could be argued as red-assery on my part.  But *I* see it as:  as the scorebook, he's more in the area of game official than coach.  Therefore, he gets nothing.  If he wants to be a partisan?  Hand the book to someone else, and spin the wheel, Raggedy Man.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coach would have gotten the arguing B ans S warning.

Scorekeeper? Are you kidding me? Good bye.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2019 at 5:02 PM, blue23ll said:

Apparently your zone was ok in the top of the first?  Once had a partner eject the Home HC after the first pitch. 

 

Thats pretty impressive. Im interested in the details. I had one two pitches in thought that would be tough to beat.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2019 at 7:02 AM, Aging_Arbiter said:

However, I have stood by my statement for years, that I have never ejected anyone.  I have merely confirmed their desire to no longer participate in that days contest.

 

I love it.

For the OP ... possibly a little early in the first, but it’s too early for them to be bitching.  Good ejection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, BRUMP said:

Thats pretty impressive. Im interested in the details. I had one two pitches in thought that would be tough to beat.

I want to hear both of these ... I had a partner drop a fan four pitches in.  Apparently we were slow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

I want to hear both of these ... I had a partner drop a fan four pitches in.  Apparently we were slow.

here's mine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2019 at 2:02 PM, blue23ll said:

Apparently your zone was ok in the top of the first?  Once had a partner eject the Home HC after the first pitch. 

 

He must of said call it both ways...:P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2019 at 5:02 PM, blue23ll said:

Apparently your zone was ok in the top of the first?  Once had a partner eject the Home HC after the first pitch. 

 

Amateur.  Come talk to me when you get an EJ at the pre-game plate conference.  :FIRE::wacko:  (Minor Leagues...manager was arguing about SH*# from the previous game.)

As for the OP...some good advice on this thread.  You definitely need to nip the dugout in the bottom of the first inning.  More than likely, I'm ignoring the first comment.  On the second one, I'm definitely acknowledging.  Frankly, while it is often advised to give an "acknowledgment" by simply looking (glaring) at the offender, in this specific situation (where the dugout cannot see in or out) I'm probably acknowledging by looking and sternly stating, "those pitches are six inches off the plate," or "those pitches are over the chalk of the other batter's box".  These have been effective for me in the past.  They let the dugout know that you've heard their complaints, but you're also giving them an explanation.  And, frankly, if the coach argues with you at this point he's making a fool of himself because there's no way he can see if those pitchers are outside or not.  In fact, using one of these statements (or something similar) usually shuts the dugout out down for the rest of that inning (whether they stay quiet the rest of the game depends on whether or not F2 lies or tells the truth when his head coach asks him about the pitches after that half-inning is over and F2 goes back to the dugout).  If they continue to argue, give them the formal warning (and bench restriction if playing under NFHS rules) and/or eject as the case may be.

Scorekeepers are there to be seen, not heard.  They get read the riot act once, then they get dumped.  (Unless, of course, their first statement is pretty severe...at which point skip the riot act warning.)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...