Sign in to follow this  
grozzly

injured coach

Hello America !

Here in France, i had a case this sunday...i'd like to have your opinions...
With my teamate, we refused to let the coach of a team take his place in the 3rd base coach box. Why? He was injured (operation of Achille's tendon 10 days ago) and was walking with a plaster on his leg and crutches....He asked us why he couldn't take his place, which rule?? We involved the 8.01 (c) rule ;);) and told him that it was dangerous for him and for his own security, it was not reasonable to be in a coach box.....
Did someone had to manage this kind of situation??

In some codes, due to the Americans with Disabilities Act, casts, crutches, walkers, etc are allowed.  That said, they need to be wrapped in protective rubber/foam.

As Lou mentions, in HS Baseball the rule book specifically states we must allow the coach to occupy the box. They may have to wrap foam or other protective on the cast, or brace, or whatever, but if they want to be out there? It is on them if they get drilled.

Lower divisions like Little League prohibits casts on the field, even for the officials. In that case, the player or coach can be in the dugout, but not on the field.