ArchAngel72

Batter - Catcher conversations

Any of you get yourself in trouble listening to the stuff the batter and catcher say to each other?

Last night behind the plate these 2 teams (same league) were obviously familiar with each other. They knew each others names, were teasing each other lightly before the 1st pitch.  IE  one of the boys on team black was saying to the girl pitching on team blue " Hey Bella you better not hit me tonight."  I could tell from the tone it was light teasing.  But anyway

during the game a team black kid came up and started talking with the catcher, minor stuff about the game and how the teams were playing.  Mid way thru the at bat a pitch comes in outside about 2 inches out side and the catcher who's been doing this all game snaps it back in and the batter looked back as the catcher did it ( following the pitch )  I call BALL  its now 3-2 was 2-2  the batter says "Nice try framing that one Tim".  

I'm sorry I'm still smirking about it.  It reminded me a bit of like Bull Durham but in reverse where the batter is talking to the catcher instead of the other way around.  But I nearly chuckled.    I did a bit after the at bat, two foul backs and then a end of the bat slow roller to first he was out and he was very animated at how frustrated with himself he was, when he was walking back to the dugout I heard him grumbling to himself about how hard he worked that at bat all for a lousy ground ball to the 1st baseman.   It was well, funny, and a bit endearing.  

So anyone else got any quirky or funny exchanges?

I was doing a HS game earlier this year where the batter and catcher clearly know each other. They're talking about the game last week as the batter digs into the box. First pitch drills him right between his shoulder blades. 

Next at bat he walks over and the catcher says "I swear I didn't mean to hit you." 

• Confused 1

I had one that had obviously been thinking about this....... 

Batter asks Catcher "Are there a lot of hot chicks at your school"?

Catcher:  Not as many as I would like there to be, why?

Batter: I don't like my coach anymore so I'm surveying schools that we play............

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

My youngest son was doing a 10U game earlier this year, and he told me the catcher was giving out spoilers about Avengers Endgame to the batters. Fortunately, he had already seen it himself.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

I had one that had obviously been thinking about this....... 

Batter asks Catcher "Are there a lot of hot chicks at your school"?

Catcher:  Not as many as I would like there to be, why?

Batter: I don't like my coach anymore so I'm surveying schools that we play............

I might have said "Kid there never are"  after the catchers reply.

• Haha 1

Kinda similar to OP's story, I was doing a tourney (13's or 14's, don't remember which), and I had a really great catcher. Good skill, knew how to talk to an umpire, and was clearly having fun. Late in the game, I call a strike on the outside part of, and the fans of the other team started groaning. The catcher turns his shoulders towards the stands and groans right back at them. I just stood there trying not to laugh, pretty sure I shouldn't just let him do that, but not sure what would be appropriate. Had the same team again the next week, but unfortunately he wasn't catching. 

• Haha 1