Sign in to follow this  
MulletUmp

8u HC disagrees with VTAC’s coaching, warnings given

Alright, here’s my first war story.

8u baseball. Score is 0-0 in top of the 2nd. HTAC informs the VTHC that their pitcher is at 57 pitches. Way past the limit of 42. So they change the pitcher. He walks in 5 runs and we reach the limit. 

Next inning HT has to make a change. He walks in 5 runs. Score is now 5-5! Near the end of this 2nd inning, VTAC is telling his batters not to swing because HT pitcher is throwing balls. I honestly didn’t pay full attention to what was said, but as of writing this, VTAC is banned from coming to games in that league. So I definitely handled this wrong or heard something wrong. Anyway, HTHC takes umbrage with this. “He’s an 8 year old kid! Don’t be like that!” “You’re telling them not to swing before the balls even crossed the plate” In the middle of each coaches respective diatribe, I get in the middle and say “we’re not doing this.” a good 3-4 times. I try to slow down the HTHC before just saying “if you keep going like that, I’ll have to put you in the dugout.” He tells me to tell the VT staff to stop causing trouble. I tell them that and they claim they’re just coaching, and say to HTHC “stop complaining.” 

I didn’t think I had to warn them. At that point. 

So the Inning ends. HTHC comes to me and I forget what he’s saying for the most part, but I just said “Coach, all I see them doing is telling batters not to swing at bad pitches.” VTAC comes in defending himself and here we go again. HTHC repeats “he’s an 8 year old kid!”

VTAC: Are you a f#$&ing 8 year old kid? (I feel bad for looking back on this and laughing, because HTHC in question is such a nice guy.) 

I give VTAC a warning for profanity. All I remember afterwards is VTAC complaining about the HTAC tracking their pitchers count, when I’ve heard no rule prohibiting that. Eventually VTAC just says “you know what? I’m gonna stop talking.” And goes and apologizes to HTHC. 

Rest of the game went on fine. 

Then I saw HTHC again today. He asks if the league touched base with me on that and tells me the VTAC in question got banned from coming to games. Season long? Lifetime? I don’t know. He tells me I warned him when he was trying to help me, (VTAC was talking to my players and not me) like I said I wish I handled it differently/paid more attention, but it’s good now. 

What I saw, was the HTHC started it (why shouldn’t you tell your kids to not swing? But, I didn’t hear everything said. I mostly block out coaches)  and VTAC escalated it and I should’ve ejected him for calling HTHC a “f#*&&# 8 year old kid”

In my defense though, when it’s come down to profanity, I’ve only dealt with coach on players, and coach on umpire (aka me, and I ejected that guy) I’ve never dealt with coach on coach profanity, and at the time I didn’t know what else to do. 

Anyway that’s my first war story. (Not ending in an EJ. Might upload that particular one later.) 

1 hour ago, MulletUmp said:

8u baseball.

WTF???

I am not the first,nor will I be the last, to say that the only ejections you will regret will be the ones you do not pull the trigger on.

• Like 2

From this point (19m 39s) and the next few clips all deal with coaches talking to each other. Great thing to watch and learn from. I don't agree with everything this instructor says about ejections, but this is some good stuff on this.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, yawetag said:

From this point (19m 39s) and the next few clips all deal with coaches talking to each other. Great thing to watch and learn from. I don't agree with everything this instructor says about ejections, but this is some good stuff on this.

I was gonna link this videofor that part, and also for the part where he talks about having rabbit ears.

NEVER block out coaches, for exactly the reason you had in your game. That's doesn't mean react to everything (or even most) the bench says, but you can't ignore something that led to a ban. And yeah, should've dumped him for the 8 year old comment.

And really? This in 8u? Oof. Real proud of those coaches for setting a good example...

I have a couple of .........for a lack of a better term.......ADULTS , that I have to remind at the plate meeting.  It's one of those, we're buddy buddy, and coach football together, but when on different baseball teams, they occasionally lose their sense of control.

"Gents, you are here as a role model for these children.  If you cease to be that role model, you will no longer be needed for this game."

Before you get started, I know..........not a good tone to set at the plate meeting with these @$$ clowns.  But it works.

11 hours ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

I have a couple of .........for a lack of a better term.......ADULTS , that I have to remind at the plate meeting.  It's one of those, we're buddy buddy, and coach football together, but when on different baseball teams, they occasionally lose their sense of control.

"Gents, you are here as a role model for these children.  If you cease to be that role model, you will no longer be needed for this game."

Before you get started, I know..........not a good tone to set at the plate meeting with these @$$ clowns.  But it works.

How do you decide when it's appropriate, and when it's not?

I get the "WTF?!" part of the situation, have definitely had those. BUT, you should have had to ice your shoulder after this game. Cussing at someone in HS is an auto-EJ. Cussing period at an 8u game means it's time to start the garbage disposal.

Just my :2cents:

-BR

11 hours ago, Biscuit said:

How do you decide when it's appropriate, and when it's not?

When they become INappropriate