2 outs infield fly

KrazyRay
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1781 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Little League minors game. Bases loaded 2 outs. Batter hits a pop up behind the mound that is a routine catch. The umpire incorrectly yells "infield fly, batters out!" F4 drops the ball, but the inning is over because the umpire called the batter out. The game proceeds to the next inning. What action should the manager have taken? And what can the umpire do to correct the mistake. In this game, the inexperienced manager did nothing. We discussed options with the umpire after the game from calling a no pitch and resetting or advancing all runners 1 base. At least we had good sportsmanship with no brutal attacks at the umpire.

11 answers to this question

Disagree with all of the above.

Calling 'infield fly' does not make it one, the situation does. It's up to the defense to know the situation and act accordingly.

There's nothing to fix, because this is not a change in a judgment call. And in any case, by the time it was figured out it was too late to do anything.

• Like 1

To keep the out call you are saying I interfered in the play and player acted according. 

To call them safe you are saying the defense should have known the situation (outs) and made the catch. You also have to assume if not called all players would have made their bases safely. 

Either way you are going to get lit up by a good manager and take it because you screwed up. 

53 minutes ago, Dotteump said:

To keep the out call you are saying I interfered in the play and player acted according. 

To call them safe you are saying the defense should have known the situation (outs) and made the catch. You also have to assume if not called all players would have made their bases safely. 

Either way you are going to get lit up by a good manager and take it because you screwed up. 

I was just a spectator at this game, but I do a lot of umpiring for this league. What I saw was the players moving as they should with 2 outs and F4 making the attempt at catching the ball and flat dropping it. I would have ruled all runners advance 1 base and the batter/runner safe at first.

The post said it was LL minors, that could be players as young as seven or as old as eleven.  Quite often it's a stretch to think rec players at that age need to be aware of the situation.  Just sayin!

4 hours ago, KrazyRay said:

I was just a spectator at this game, but I do a lot of umpiring for this league. What I saw was the players moving as they should with 2 outs and F4 making the attempt at catching the ball and flat dropping it. I would have ruled all runners advance 1 base and the batter/runner safe at first.

Good answer.