Vumpire

Multiple Base Touches

"One-man crew", R2, batter hits triple to right field. I see a line drive get past F9, so my first move was to see the touch of third base by R2. I swivelled to first base, but the batter had already passed the base. The defense was occupying the first base dugout.

After the play, the defense appealed first base, and of course I signaled safe with "I don't have a miss",  a remark in hindsight which clearly reflects reality. 

So I'm curious if others have come to the conclusion that on multi-base touches, it might be wise to place primary emphasis on the base closest to the defense's dugout?

This can happen in two-man mechanics as well, R1 and BR can tough their respective bases at about the same time.

In 2 man R1 and BR have separate umpires watching the touches.  As far as 1 man mechanics go, you can only do so much and the defensive dugout should have nothing to do with it.

Head on a swivel.

Sometomes you just need to read the runner and try to decide who is most likley to miss, and who is most likley to gain an advantage by missing.

In this play, R2 will score easily.  BR might have to hustle to get a triple -- he's the one most likely to miss the base.

If it was just a single, then R2 might have to hustle to score -- he's the one most likely to miss.

And, it's almost never necessary (with one ump and multiple runners) to see a runner who is scoring without a play touch the plate -- you will be hustling out for a subsequent play on another runner.

Finally, you only need to see the touch for the briefest of moments -- I've seen some umpires stare at the runner / base for a couple of strides before the base and after the base.  That's too long. Look at something else.

All that said, sometimes things get missed with one umpire.

Keep the right priorities in the right order.

• Fair/foul
  • Catch/no catch
  • Safe/out
  • Touch/no touch

You have two eyes that can see only so much.

There are costs for two umpires and other costs for one umpire. The teams agreed to the costs of having only one umpire. Buyer's remorse is not (y)our concern.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Kevin_K said:

There are costs for two umpires and other costs for one umpire. The teams agreed to the costs of having only one umpire. Buyer's remorse is not (y)our concern.

The phrase "that's a $40 call, there" comes to mind.

(Or whatever dollar amount is appropriate.)

"I looked for the touch, coach." 

"Did you see him touch first base?!"

"I didn't see him miss it."

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/11/2019 at 7:54 PM, umpstu said:

In 2 man R1 and BR have separate umpires watching the touches.  As far as 1 man mechanics go, you can only do so much and the defensive dugout should have nothing to do with it.

Head on a swivel.

In 2-man, the BU has the touch of 2nd base by R1 and the touch of 1st base by the BR. There are situations where those happen at the same time. Head on a swivel doesn't change that. 

23 minutes ago, Vumpire said:

In 2-man, the BU has the touch of 2nd base by R1 and the touch of 1st base by the BR. There are situations where those happen at the same time. Head on a swivel doesn't change that. 

While that's the stated mechanic, PU can (and should) help out if he's not actively watching a catch at that time.  PU is farther away and can see the touches with less eye movement -- but PU should focus on whatever base BU is not actively watching.