Guest Hank

BBCOR White bats being banned by the NCAA ... NFHS next?

Question

Guest Hank

Effective September 1st, 2019, NCAA, the governing body for college baseball, will adopt a rule that effectively bans the use of any primarily white BBCOR bat. Why the white bat and do you think NFHS will follow?

18 answers to this question

The white bat hides the ball as it's being hit. Probably considered a safety hazard.

Will Fed follow? Maybe.

And bat manufacturers will eagerly agree... 

Guess you will be buying a new bat! Again!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Mudisfun said:

And bat manufacturers will eagerly agree... 

Guess you will be buying a new bat! Again!

Can't speak for NCAA on any delay between adding it and enforcing it.

I know Fed will typically announce something like this and make it take 4-5 years to take effect. That way, current players can continue to use their equipment while newer players (or replacement bats) can begin to filter in with the new rule.

2 hours ago, Guest Hank said:

Effective September 1st, 2019, NCAA, the governing body for college baseball, will adopt a rule that effectively bans the use of any primarily white BBCOR bat. Why the white bat and do you think NFHS will follow?

reference?  (not doubting you -- just haven't seen it, yet).

They need to get rid of the Rawlings bats.  Those bats kill my ears.  I mean they are the loudest bets ever.

• Like 1

primarily white BBCOR bat.

Know who this primarily affects? Marucci! Thank God I might not have to look at – or more importantly hear – those wretched, ear-splitting, Screamin’ Stick of Satan himself Cat7 and Cat6 bats much longer!

hate those Maruccis.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, noumpere said:

reference?  (not doubting you -- just haven't seen it, yet).

Rule 1.12.b (7) Beginning in the 2020 NCAA Championship segment, the bat barrel color must be of a predominantly contrasting color to the color of the baseball between the 18-inch mark to the end cap.

7 hours ago, MadMax said:

Know who this primarily affects? Marucci! Thank God I might not have to look at – or more importantly hear – those wretched, ear-splitting, Screamin’ Stick of Satan himself Cat7 and Cat6 bats much longer!

hate those Maruccis.

I seriously believe that baseball bats are the major contributor to my tinnitus.  Never stops.

16 minutes ago, Kevin_K said:

Rule 1.12.b (7) Beginning in the 2020 NCAA Championship segment, the bat barrel color must be of a predominantly contrasting color to the color of the baseball between the 18-inch mark to the end cap.

Have they legislated the color of the baseball? Coaches, actually mostly ADs,  making rules with one poor chief suckumpire having to agree with them. Does wood contrast to cow leather.

28 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

Have they legislated the color of the baseball?

If I;m the home team, I'm waiting until a key series and rolling out the (red / blue / black) baseball and forcing the visitors to use other bats.  ;)

• Like 1

Charley Finley once suggested they change the color of the baseball to a "day glo" orange.. Some one asked Catfish Hunter what he thought of a an orange ball.."paint it white"
Charley Finley also gave Jim Hunter the nickname Catfish  to add some color 

They actually used Mr. Finley’s orange baseballs in a spring training game in 1973. He had been given permission by then-commissioner Bowie Kuhn.

But did you know that yellow baseballs were used in an actual championship season game of the Major Leagues? Yes, it happened on August 2, 1938, in a game between the Cardinals and Dodgers. The color is described as dandelion-yellow and it was the idea of Larry MacPhail who was then the general manager of the Brooklyn Dodgers. He received permission from the NL president Ford Frick to experiment to see if they were easier to follow and thus safer. By the way, if you have a spare $750-850 you can buy one of those game used yellow baseballs.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2019 at 7:33 PM, Kevin_K said:

Know what solves all this nonsense? Wood. Wood provides all of the necessary contrast.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MadMax said:

Know what solves all this nonsense? Wood. Wood provides all of the necessary contrast.

I love wooden bats.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2019 at 10:55 PM, Jimurray said:

Have they legislated the color of the baseball? Coaches, actually mostly ADs,  making rules with one poor chief suckumpire having to agree with them. Does wood contrast to cow leather.

I'm sure this was a rhetorical question, but:

SECTION 11. The ball is a sphere weighing not less than 5 nor more than 5¼ ounces avoirdupois and measuring not less than 9 inches nor more than 9½ inches in circumference. It shall be formed by yarn wound around a small core of rubber, cork or combination of both and covered by two pieces of white horsehide or cowhide tightly stitched together. The coefficient of restitution (COR) of a baseball cannot exceed .555.

What I really want to know is what BONE HEAD thought "OH paint them white" Some seriously bad judgement on the manufacturers of the bats.

On 5/14/2019 at 6:45 AM, ArchAngel72 said:

What I really want to know is what BONE HEAD thought "OH paint them white" Some seriously bad judgement on the manufacturers of the bats.

Meh - I've seen white bats for 30 years.   The ball is rarely white for very long, and neither are the bats.   And in softball I've seen the yellow/green bats to go with the yellow/green ball.

Some third baseman must have taken a line drive to the face and claimed he didn't see the white ball off the white bat - parents probably sued the league and the manufacturers.   It's a risk cutting measure (liability only) that doesn't diminish the game, but won't really solve the problem, as the time the ball is disguised by the bat is inconsequential to everything else happening at the same time.

The problem is the exit velocity these composite bats are producing, and continuing to improve - even with the drop 5, drop 7, drop 10 limits in place.

I agree, go wood.  Yeah, I know...broken bats gets expensive...deal with it.  Somehow I managed to play baseball as a kid with wooden bats and we all got along just fine.

Do we outlaw white uniforms next? 

• Like 2

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.